The Student Room Group

Computer Science ..... Essays O_O ?

For some reason I have had the idea that a Computer Science degree would have no essays...

To be honest I didn't really think about it, I assumed it would just be assignments, lectures, seminar discussions and exams. But now I think about, there is of course the potential for essays.

Now I don't mind them too much, but could anyone , preferably someone taking a Computer Science course, share any information about whether there are any essays in Computer Science and what they're like.

In the case that my original assumption was right :cool: then this may seem to be a dumb question :eek:

Thanks for your help! :colondollar:
Reply 1
I study software engineering, so not true computer science but a computer science related degree. All degrees will have you write at least some kind of essay, be it individual or in a group. Throughout my first year I've written two essays that I can recall. One was more a pre-arrival activity where you basically stated why you chose to go to that particular uni, etc (although we were graded on it and it does contribute a very small amount to our first year grade). IIRC there was a purposeful low word limit on it (~1000 words) to make you spend equal amounts of words on each section and not overrun. The second was a group essay, I think a group of 6 of us had to write a ~3000 word essay (again, purposefully low word count) about how the job requirements have changed/will change in an area of computing from a given list (we did computer security). So yeah... two essays. You will most likely get given many more coursework based assignments such as programming activities, for example. I think we've had 13 marked programming assignments to do and many more unmarked, as well as online tests for networking & databases, a presentation we had to give, a systems analysis group excercise, and a databases assignment which we finished at 02:00 monday morning (with time to spare for the 09:00 deadline). Then in the summer we have our proper exams, yay!

Apologies for no paragraphs/poor structure, I didn't intend to go on for that long. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
Only two modules out of my 24 required essay writing. I did relatively badly in both of them.

Beyond that there was a fair bit of writing reports for software projects, but I definitely wouldn't count that as essay writing.
Reply 3
Original post by iisjman07
I study software engineering, so not true computer science but a computer science related degree. All degrees will have you write at least some kind of essay, be it individual or in a group. Throughout my first year I've written two essays that I can recall. One was more a pre-arrival activity where you basically stated why you chose to go to that particular uni, etc (although we were graded on it and it does contribute a very small amount to our first year grade). IIRC there was a purposeful low word limit on it (~1000 words) to make you spend equal amounts of words on each section and not overrun. The second was a group essay, I think a group of 6 of us had to write a ~3000 word essay (again, purposefully low word count) about how the job requirements have changed/will change in an area of computing from a given list (we did computer security). So yeah... two essays. You will most likely get given many more coursework based assignments such as programming activities, for example. I think we've had 13 marked programming assignments to do and many more unmarked, as well as online tests for networking & databases, a presentation we had to give, a systems analysis group excercise, and a databases assignment which we finished at 02:00 monday morning (with time to spare for the 09:00 deadline). Then in the summer we have our proper exams, yay!

Apologies for no paragraphs/poor structure, I didn't intend to go on for that long. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Don't worry about it, I'm not a grammer nazi :smile: Doesn't sound too bad then, although group essays....how did that work? Did each person work on a certain section of it?

Original post by Arturo Bandini
Only two modules out of my 24 required essay writing. I did relatively badly in both of them.

Beyond that there was a fair bit of writing reports for software projects, but I definitely wouldn't count that as essay writing.

2/24 :biggrin: I can definitely live with something around that
Reply 4
Original post by BSc.Pro.Logic
Don't worry about it, I'm not a grammer nazi :smile: Doesn't sound too bad then, although group essays....how did that work? Did each person work on a certain section of it?

Part of the ideas was that you have free run of the project; you could split it so you work in pairs on each section, or do it all together.
I havent had any essays so far, mainly reports for near enough every assignment though but thats very different. Ive also had to write documentation for software but again, its not like an essay.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending