The Student Room Group

Greek Phi symbol with a hat

Hey, I'm looking for a phi symbol with a hat on top of it.
I have found it in picture form, but I really need it in text form if you can help me.

Thanks in advancio!
Phi with a hat? :confused: Φ φ
Reply 2
Yes, phi WITH a hat.... 21adc7e05a467fdb0ec5d99d39845db9.png
But in text format.
Reply 3
The picture is in text form; that is to say, it is a picture of text.

Do you mean you want to know how to produce that symbol in a specific word processing environment? If so, which one?

In latex for example, you would use \hat{\varphi} to get the symbol as in your picture above.
Reply 4
Original post by Mark85
The picture is in text form; that is to say, it is a picture of text.

Do you mean you want to know how to produce that symbol in a specific word processing environment? If so, which one?

In latex for example, you would use \hat{\varphi} to get the symbol as in your picture above.

Yeah, but most people knew what I meant haha :wink:

And yeah I need it in word for cos(phihat).

Cheers
Reply 5
Original post by Quexx
Yeah, but most people knew what I meant haha :wink:

And yeah I need it in word for cos(phihat).

Cheers

The precise picture you used is an alternate to the standard way of writing the greek letter phi. You can get the standard one in word by going to insert symbol and then looking under subset basic greek.

I don't know how to put an accent above a general symbol in word but seeing as you are making your own document - can't you just use alternate notation to avoid havng to try and use a symbol that is awkward to typeset?

Another alternative would be to just insert the picture into the text. It would probably only be as ugly as managing to put an overline on a nonstandard character anyway...
Reply 6
Original post by Mark85
The precise picture you used is an alternate to the standard way of writing the greek letter phi. You can get the standard one in word by going to insert symbol and then looking under subset basic greek.

I don't know how to put an accent above a general symbol in word but seeing as you are making your own document - can't you just use alternate notation to avoid havng to try and use a symbol that is awkward to typeset?

Another alternative would be to just insert the picture into the text. It would probably only be as ugly as managing to put an overline on a nonstandard character anyway...

Yeah, I reckon that is what I will do...
But, I'm doing a lab report, and that is the symbol used on the briefing sheet, so I need to use that symbol otherwise the examiner wouldn't know what I was talking about. :smile:

Cheers for your help
Reply 7
Original post by Quexx
Yeah, I reckon that is what I will do...
But, I'm doing a lab report, and that is the symbol used on the briefing sheet, so I need to use that symbol otherwise the examiner wouldn't know what I was talking about. :smile:

Cheers for your help

Presumably this angle relates to something and you could describe that in a couple of words without too much difficulty to avoid any ambiguity there...

Quick Reply

Latest