Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Mann-Whitney test critical values table

Announcements Posted on
Applying to uni this year? Check out our new personal statement advice hub 28-11-2014
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing some stats for a piece of Geography work atm (*shudder*) and i don't want to walk all the way down to the library to try to find a book with a table of critical values for the Mann Whitney U test. I'm sure there must be one on the 'net somewhere, but does anyone know where?

Of course i've tried googling, but all i can come up with is several tables which only go up to n=20 (i need n=34), and some kind of automatic calculator which is not what i want at all.

Thanks for any links you can find
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The tables don't go above 20 because when n1 and n2 are large you can use a normal approximation. See http://www.cquest.utoronto.ca/geog/g...y_U_Table.html. You need to calculate Z and compare it to the critical values of the N(0, 1) distribution. If you post your values of n1, n2 and u, I'll do the sums for you.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Have posted a reply over the Geog forum where you posted this topic also, but anyway:

Mann-Whitney U for n1=n2=34

5% u*=418
    1% u*=369

(Neave's Statistical Tables).
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Aha. I just realised where i screwed up....my n isn't 34, it's 17. So i can just look it up in the many tables out there that go up to 20. Stupid stats...shouldn't be in geog at all

Thanks anyway though.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom)
    Aha. I just realised where i screwed up....my n isn't 34, it's 17. So i can just look it up in the many tables out there that go up to 20. Stupid stats...shouldn't be in geog at all

Thanks anyway though.

You won't have been the first to not count the sample sizes before combining the results - trust me, too easy a mistake to make.

At least you spotted it now though !
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am also in a similar situation where my n1 and n2 values are both 30. Would anyone be able to assist in helping me do the calculations if I provide the necessary data?
    thanks a lot
    Susan
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I also have another problem that I need to solve regarding the Mann-Whitney test:

I can't find any information about minus and zero values and how to calculate them. Can anyone help?
    thanks
    Susan
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    ok just spent a while doing this

you shouldn't be getting minus or negative values but this will do the test for you:
    http://faculty.vassar.edu/lowry/utest.html

and that will give you a z-value and its associated probability (ie whether to reject your null)

also the critical values up to 30 are here, so you could just use your u value (rather than z value which i realise may be confusing you, but I don't have time to explain right now!) which the above page will calculate:
    http://www.social-science.co.uk/stats_CV.php

hope this helps

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 3, 2009
New on TSR

Vote for your favourite Christmas film

Win a bundle of Xmas DVDs

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.