The Student Room Group

Bad GCSE's, good A-Levles and Cambridge?

Hey all,

As stated in the title, I have a bad set of GCSE's (when its comes to Cambridge anyway) 6 B's, 5 C's and 2 D's. B's in English lit, Maths, Science, Add Science, IT & RE.

I am 20 now, so will be 21 when starting Uni. I tried A-Levels once, took 1 subject I loved, 2 I hated. Ended up with an A* in Photography and E's in Biology and IT.

I took a year out after failing, and started college in September 2012.

I am studying English Lit, Maths, Gov/Politics and Law at A-Level. (Currently AS year). Achieved A's only in my January exams, and predicted all A's for AS.

I want to study Law, it is my main interest in life and passion. I am going to be doing work experience with a local firm for 2 weeks in summer, as well as 2 weeks with CPS.

If I were to obtain all A's at A-level, what would be my chances at receiving an interview at Cambridge. (College undecided). A place is obviously down to the interview and law test, but an interview with such bad GCSE's and not a good track record?

Thanks guys :smile:
Reply 1
You'd be in with a chance, Cambridge place less emphasis on GCSEs than other Unis (ie Oxford) but they do look at your UMS scores at AS. You need to try and hit a 90%+ average across your subjects ideally, although the average scores of successful applicants varies across subjects (it's easier to get 100% UMS in the Sciences than humanities).
Reply 2
Original post by HenryD
You'd be in with a chance, Cambridge place less emphasis on GCSEs than other Unis (ie Oxford) but they do look at your UMS scores at AS. You need to try and hit a 90%+ average across your subjects ideally, although the average scores of successful applicants varies across subjects (it's easier to get 100% UMS in the Sciences than humanities).

Cool thanks dude.

After failing so bad the first time, I am aiming super hard to get into that 90%+ UMS.

Reply 3
anyone else??
Cambridge will definitely see such a HUGEEE turnaround as a plus point, as you can imagine they'll be impressed by your dedication. As a mature candidate too they may judge you on the basis of the rest of the mature candidates, not those that are fresh out of A-levels. It wouldn't hurt to try, and looking at your motivation I'm sure they'll see something in you. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest