The Student Room Group

Are my A-Level choices okay?

Hi all,

I am going to do the typical cliche thing and ask if my A - Level choices are ok. So basically I'm going into sixth form next year and I'm taking:

English Literature,
History,
IT &
Biology

I would like to study Law at a prestigious Russell Group University (I.e Oxford, LSE, KCL, Edinburgh). Now I understand IT is seen as a 'soft' subject but top universities do say you are allowed to take up to one 'soft' subject and my sister took IT, Biology, Chemistry and Maths and got into Kings College London for dentistry.

But I just wanted reassurance that do these seem ok?

Ps: Hopefully I will get 7/8 A*'s & 5/4 A's in my GCSE's

Anyway thanks! X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Is there any particular reason you're taking IT? I would advise that you swap it for something more respected (Chemistry, Politics, Maths) if you want to compete for law at a top university.
Reply 2
Original post by Scatach
Is there any particular reason you're taking IT? I would advise that you swap it for something more respected (Chemistry, Politics, Maths) if you want to compete for law at a top university.

I agree, definitely swap out IT and take a harder subject such as Maths or Physics.

EDIT: It's probably ok if you take IT at AS then drop it at A2.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Scatach

Well come exam time it's one less pressure of me and I know and have seen people go to good universities with (at the most) one soft subject X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Aysha97
Well come exam time it's one less pressure of me and I know and have seen people go to good universities with (at the most) one soft subject X

Posted from TSR Mobile

The IT course at my school not only has a reputation for being for students who are, uh, unlikely to go to University, but also seems to involve a lot of work. It's not necessarily a difficult subject, but a lot of effort has to go into coursework - I personally think you'd have a better shot at taking another AS level which is more respected and purely exam-based.

Of course if you don't think there is another option for you (personally I hated maths and science, so I stuck with history/politics/sociology/english) then take IT :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest