The Student Room Group

Mann-Whitney U test

I'm doing some stats for a piece of Geography work atm (*shudder*) and i don't want to walk all the way down to the library to try to find a book with a table of critical values for the Mann Whitney U test. I'm sure there must be one on the 'net somewhere, but does anyone know where?

Of course i've tried googling, but all i can come up with is several tables which only go up to n=20 (i need n=34), and some kind of automatic calculator which is not what i want at all.

Thanks for any links you can find

(i put this in Maths originally but it's more of a general question and i don't know what the response there will be...so can't hurt to have a thread here too)
Tom
I'm doing some stats for a piece of Geography work atm (*shudder*) and i don't want to walk all the way down to the library to try to find a book with a table of critical values for the Mann Whitney U test. I'm sure there must be one on the 'net somewhere, but does anyone know where?

Of course i've tried googling, but all i can come up with is several tables which only go up to n=20 (i need n=34), and some kind of automatic calculator which is not what i want at all.

Thanks for any links you can find

(i put this in Maths originally but it's more of a general question and i don't know what the response there will be...so can't hurt to have a thread here too)

Are your sample sizes both 34 ?

If so, then the 5 % critical value is 418, the 1 % critical value is 369.

That was from Neave's Statistical Tables.

An online table of Mann-Whitney U, is available here
Reply 2
Expression
Are your sample sizes both 34 ?

If so, then the 5 % critical value is 418, the 1 % critical value is 369.

That was from Neave's Statistical Tables.

An online table of Mann-Whitney U, is available here

418 at 95% certainty seems a little high from the numbers i have...perhaps i've got my stats wrong though :redface:

I found the table you linked me to (first google result) but as i said, it only goes up to 20.

Thanks for the info though.
Reply 3
Aha. I just realised where i screwed up....my n isn't 34, it's 17. So i can just look it up in the many tables out there that go up to 20. Stupid stats...shouldn't be in geog at all :frown:

Thanks anyway.
Tom
418 at 95% certainty seems a little high from the numbers i have...perhaps i've got my stats wrong though :redface:

I found the table you linked me to (first google result) but as i said, it only goes up to 20.

Thanks for the info though.

If 418 seems high, then maybe you've got something that's providing good evidence against the null.

0.01 < p-value < 0.05 good evidence
p-value < 0.01 strong evidence
Tom
Aha. I just realised where i screwed up....my n isn't 34, it's 17. So i can just look it up in the many tables out there that go up to 20. Stupid stats...shouldn't be in geog at all :frown:

Thanks anyway.

LOL easy mistake to make once you've combined both the samples !!

Latest

Trending

Trending