The Student Room Group

Help with a levels please

Hi I am currently picking my a levels. I am thinking about going on to do psychology as a career so for my alevels I have chosen psychology, sociology, history and I need one more! Which is better law Btec or applied science Btec? I was going to do English lit but I think I would have too much of a work load as the rest are essay based subjects
Reply 1
English Lit would be a good subject to take. But it is difficult in the amount of work required. I would stay away from BTEC Law because it isn't respected as an A-level, let alone as a BTEC. It has nothing to do with the degree content either. (I realise you don't want to study Law). My aunt used to teach it as an A-level. Can I ask why you need to take 4 subjects? Are you planning on dropping one at the end of AS? I do four subjects and the amount of work is pretty intense, especially if you are aiming for top grades.
I would advise choosing the 3 you have there because they are good, solid subjects that will keep your options open. If you must take four, then English lit or applied science.
Can you do law as an a level?
Reply 3
Definitely applied science as it gives you a wider scope. English lit while a good option, means all your choices are in a narrow subject area, but with science unis will see that you're more of an all-rounder :smile:
I'm thinking that biology might be useful for psychology - most of my friends who are looking to study that subject picked up biology as a traditional science that had the most relevance to psychology.

Edit: whoops, sorry, misread your question. I'd say applied science, in that case :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Ffijon
Can you do law as an a level?

If your college/sixth form offer it, yes. But beware, it is not particularly respected and is not relevant to a Law degree.
LIST A1
Generally Suitable Science A-levels

Biology
Chemistry
Mathematics
Further Mathematics
Physics

sorry about the long post, its just that so many people take it thinking its their ticket to law school only to be disappointed.
LIST A2
Generally Suitable Arts A-levels

Art History
Chinese
Classical Civilisation
Economics
English Literature
French
Geography
German
Greek
History
Irish
Italian
Japanese
Latin
Music
Philosophy
Religious Studies
Russian
Spanish
Welsh

LIST B
A-levels of More Limited Suitability

Archaeology (Arch & Anth)
Art & Design (Arts)
Business Studies (Economics)
Computing (Computer Science)
Creative Writing (English)
Design & Technology (Architecture)
Drama/Theatre Studies (Arts)
Electronics (Engineering)
English Language (Arts)
Film Studies (Arts)
Government & Politics (Arts)
Law (Land Economy & Law)
Media Studies (Arts)
Psychology (Arts)
Sociology (Arts)

LIST C
A-levels Suitable Only As Fourth Subjects

Accounting
Applied Science
Citizenship
Communication Studies
Critical Thinking
Dance
Environmental Science
General Studies
Health & Social Care
Home Economics
ICT
Leisure Studies
Music Technology
Performance Studies
Performing Arts
Perspectives on Science
Photography
Physical Education
Science
Science for Public Understanding
Sports Studies
Travel & Tourism
World Development
Reply 6
If you're looking to apply for the top universities then keep away from applied subjects or BTEC's. English Lit would be a very good choice although it will mean doing an essay every week at the least.
Reply 7
Applied science, it broadens your scope
Reply 8
I was like this, I wanted to pursue a career in psychology and picked psychology sociology law and maths for A-levels.. Just warning you, sociology is possibly the most boring subject, psychology is brilliant though:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest