The Student Room Group

A Level exam and resits stress

Hey everyone.

I'm currently doing my AS levels in Maths, ICT, Geography and Business Studies. I took 3 exams in January and got C in maths (C1), A in Business and C in Geography. Now I'm extremely happy with the C in maths, thought I had no chance of getting anywhere near that. I was very happy with my business grade, but shocked with my geography grade as this is the subject I enjoy most and expected much more than that. Anyway, I'm retaking the geography exam -fine, but my school are making me retake maths C1 which I don't really want to do! lol

So I've got to retake 2 big exams in the summer on top of all my other exams, and I'm feeling abit stressed out about this. Can't seem to get my head around the idea of revising for these subjects all over again ontop of the other exams.

Anyone feel/or felt like this before? :s:
Hey, just out of curiosity- what board/paper was your geog one? I was expecting an A/B and got a C for mine too...

But anyway, I do understand your stress here. I'm retaking an AS paper on top of my A2s, I'm feeling so stressed. But, tbh, there's not much I can do except work my butt off and hope for the best!

You'll get through it, just say bye-bye to your social life for a few months!
Best of luck to you :-) x
Reply 2
I've got 9 exams including 2 resits, C1 was the only one I did truly well on so its going to be tough over the next few months to strike the middle ground between all these exams, It is possible though, just revise a lot and effectively... Make sure your confident on your maths, c2 helps c1 in many ways, solomon/past papers are the way to go for top marks. Although you don't want to resit I'd give C1 another go, most unis would like AAB or BBB few BBC's but generally if your looking to into unis I'd try to ace your AS year to reduce stress next year (no jan exams)
Reply 3
you should retake C1 , that C will greatly dis value your whole AS level if left like that.
I was happy with most of my results, did 4 exams got 99 for C1 and a shocking A in physics and S1!
but i got a B for C2 which im really good at and really depressed i have to retake it :'( (i dont have to but my pride is in stake lol)
Reply 4
I think you should resit C1 you could probably hit higher than a C and it would deffo boost your grade considering the increasing difficulty as you progress in maths. Yeah ive got 5 maths in the summer including an AEA plus 2 other exams and maybe a retake so i get how you feel.
Reply 5
Original post by Jainz
Hey, just out of curiosity- what board/paper was your geog one? I was expecting an A/B and got a C for mine too...

But anyway, I do understand your stress here. I'm retaking an AS paper on top of my A2s, I'm feeling so stressed. But, tbh, there's not much I can do except work my butt off and hope for the best!

You'll get through it, just say bye-bye to your social life for a few months!
Best of luck to you :-) x

Edexcel - Global Challenges
I have to retake three exams :frown:
Psychology, Sociology and Biology. + All my other exams. Oh well it's my fault for not trying hard, at least my predicted grades have gone up with all the hard work I'm putting in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
I understand your reasons for not wanting to retake Mathematics C1, but for all you know doing this resit could significantly impact your overall grade in the future by bumping it up another grade which means more points!

Don't stress out as it could effect your exam/revision which means you won't reach your full potential. Stay focused, calm and try revising. You've already revised the subject more so you won't have to cover everything, but just your weakest points.
Original post by QPRboy
Edexcel - Global Challenges

Ok I think there must have been something dodgy at Edexcel tbh.. All the grades from this session have been so messed up.
Reply 9
Original post by QPRboy
Hey everyone.

I'm currently doing my AS levels in Maths, ICT, Geography and Business Studies. I took 3 exams in January and got C in maths (C1), A in Business and C in Geography. Now I'm extremely happy with the C in maths, thought I had no chance of getting anywhere near that. I was very happy with my business grade, but shocked with my geography grade as this is the subject I enjoy most and expected much more than that. Anyway, I'm retaking the geography exam -fine, but my school are making me retake maths C1 which I don't really want to do! lol

So I've got to retake 2 big exams in the summer on top of all my other exams, and I'm feeling abit stressed out about this. Can't seem to get my head around the idea of revising for these subjects all over again ontop of the other exams.

Anyone feel/or felt like this before? :s:

feel like this now, I have to resit maths (S1) and law, so much stress on top of all the other exams..
I've felt like this before, so you're not the only one don't worry!

I would say maths is one of the easiest subjects to revise for - as in practising loads of past papers will help boost your grade and unless you're dropping it at the end of AS, it will really help in the end. Can I ask why your teachers are making you resit it again? sounds a little bit unfair to me as you don't want to.

If you start early and start revising slowly (1 hour a night if you don't have as much homework etc.) then you'll get into the swing of things again and hopefully become more motivated :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by shorttstuff
I've felt like this before, so you're not the only one don't worry!

I would say maths is one of the easiest subjects to revise for - as in practising loads of past papers will help boost your grade and unless you're dropping it at the end of AS, it will really help in the end. Can I ask why your teachers are making you resit it again? sounds a little bit unfair to me as you don't want to.

If you start early and start revising slowly (1 hour a night if you don't have as much homework etc.) then you'll get into the swing of things again and hopefully become more motivated :smile:

Well I'm planning to drop Maths at the end of AS. About the resit thing, everyone has been set 'target grades' and if we don't get them we HAVE to retake otherwise our place at the school is in jeopardy. It's unfair because we have to pay for resits ourselves, even if we don't want to.

Thanks for the advice about revision. Agree 100% about maths, it's all about practise. Will definitely start revising next week.
Reply 12
I'm stressed because my teachers wont let me retake ;p but also stressed about getting all my revision done in time

Quick Reply

Latest