The Student Room Group

A2 English Literature WJEC anyone? 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Hey,

Is anyone doing The Tempest and Dr Faustus? Our class have just started to read the second text...
We're so behind and it's stressing me out! My AS Grade for Literature is a B and I think my A2 coursework is a low B :/
Do you think there's still a chance for me to get an A overall if I were to get a grade A in this closed text (hypothetically speaking) also bearing in mind that I am retaking my AS module which was a Grade B.

Alsoo.. any tips on how to remember quotes/themes.. Closed book seems impossible.
Reply 41
For people really really worried about being able to remember quotes, might I suggest getting an audio book version of your text and listening to it constantly Obviously this wont work for everyone, but it might be useful for some :colondollar:
If it helps anyone I have posted an analysis of The Flea by John Donne on youtube if anyone is studying it. My youtube channel is poetryhelp101 :smile:
I'm doing King Lear, Oedipus Rex and The Wife of Bath.

King Lear and Oedipus Rex I can cope with, but The Wife of Bath's a pain.
Original post by poetryhelp101
If it helps anyone I have posted an analysis of The Flea by John Donne on youtube if anyone is studying it. My youtube channel is poetryhelp101 :smile:

Your channel is brilliant and a massive help, thank you! :colondollar::biggrin:
Reply 45
Original post by iamthestig

King Lear I can cope with, the text of Oedipus Rex is awful. We're doing Paradise Lost by Milton, that's worse!
Original post by Kousar
King Lear I can cope with, the text of Oedipus Rex is awful. We're doing Paradise Lost by Milton, that's worse!

Oedipus is great :tongue:

The Wife of Bath is awful to revise for :biggrin:
We're doing Hamlet, Revenger's and Wife of Bath; we've finished the plays but only finished the Wife's prologue today! We won't get her actual tale done for a couple of weeks because of Bank Holiday:afraid:

With Hamlet and Revenger's I think quotes wise it's just going to be a case of learning them, I'm tempted to use flash cards or something, I'm more worried about WoB because of the language and spelling :bricks:

Anyone else freaking out about the exam in general? We've been going over strategies but every time I try and write an answer to time it turns out like utter :poo:

My History has been totally messed around by one of our teachers (the only one that actually teaches American Civil Rights) having left at Christmas and given up a while before, and I screwed up in January so now have to resit a maths exam :bawling:

Just too much to do for the rest of ever it feels like now as you'd probably all agree :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Oh and 38 days till the exam just to scare everyone! :ahhhhh:
Reply 48
Original post by HistoryGal
We're doing Hamlet, Revenger's and Wife of Bath; we've finished the plays but only finished the Wife's prologue today! We won't get her actual tale done for a couple of weeks because of Bank Holiday:afraid:

With Hamlet and Revenger's I think quotes wise it's just going to be a case of learning them, I'm tempted to use flash cards or something, I'm more worried about WoB because of the language and spelling :bricks:

Anyone else freaking out about the exam in general? We've been going over strategies but every time I try and write an answer to time it turns out like utter :poo:

My History has been totally messed around by one of our teachers (the only one that actually teaches American Civil Rights) having left at Christmas and given up a while before, and I screwed up in January so now have to resit a maths exam :bawling:

Just too much to do for the rest of ever it feels like now as you'd probably all agree :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Oh and 38 days till the exam just to scare everyone! :ahhhhh:

38, YOU FOR REAL *pulls hair out*

Omg, the fact that your upset about the fact that you will just recently finish your exam texts makes me feel even more......freaked out. We've not finished two of our exam texts!!!! TWO. Our teacher thinks we're doing GCSE or something. I need an A to get into university for Literature. Terrible, terrible, terrible. I do history to, and our teacher is not the best. Omdz. :afraid:
Original post by Kousar
38, YOU FOR REAL *pulls hair out*

Omg, the fact that your upset about the fact that you will just recently finish your exam texts makes me feel even more......freaked out. We've not finished two of our exam texts!!!! TWO. Our teacher thinks we're doing GCSE or something. I need an A to get into university for Literature. Terrible, terrible, terrible. I do history to, and our teacher is not the best. Omdz. :afraid:

38 is what one of the girls in my class said, it's her only exam so she's decided to do some countdown :confused:

That is seriously scary!! What texts are they?? We have all been getting peeved with our cw because there have been long periods where we've been waiting for advise on drafts and had nothing and the deadline is now and none of us have a clue what we've got =/ If you need it to do literature at Uni you must be under so much pressure :frown: We all want B's and above but there's only one person aiming to do Lit and they don't need to awful grades I don't think...

Our replacement history teacher is doing her best but it's not her topic so she's having to teach out of the textbook which isn't ideal, the textbook itself isn't ideal :dong:

I don't know about you or anyone else but definitely starting to think it may be a miracle if I get into uni...
Reply 50
Anyone doing Hamlet and/or Wife of Bath?
So stuck as to what quotations I need to remember, there's way too many!
Reply 51
Original post by iamthestig

Original post by H0ls
I'm doing King Lear & Oedipus for my drama, with Blake's Songs of Innocence and Experience as my poetry. You can totally get an A* at A2, you need to get 90% for the A2 course (so the coursework and exam).

Original post by Nathaniell
How many quotes are you learning for Lear, or are you just memorising the whole play? :smile:

Original post by biffyCallbutt
I'm studying King Lear, Webster's 'The White Devil' and Blake's Songs of Innocence/ Experience too, still feel really unprepared though. :frown: Remembering quotes is definitely my biggest worry at the moment

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Eireann95
Hi,

I'm actually doing OCR and I'm doing King Lear, The Wife Of Bath, and The Rivals.

I was just wondering how you guys sorted your revision e.g posters or mind maps or whatever and what kind of themes you divide the text into.

I'd really appreciate your advice.

Thanks

Hey everyone, I've started picking out relevant quotes and posting them onto my blog. Hope you guys find this helpful. I know it seems late (note, our class has still not finished studying the texts!) :/

http://ismakousar.wordpress.com/2013/05/06/stuck-on-king-lear-quotes/
Reply 52
Hi does anyone know how the bands convert to grades for the coursework?
Original post by Kousar
Hey everyone, I've started picking out relevant quotes and posting them onto my blog. Hope you guys find this helpful. I know it seems late (note, our class has still not finished studying the texts!) :/

http://ismakousar.wordpress.com/2013/05/06/stuck-on-king-lear-quotes/

Thank you! This is really helpful :biggrin:
Reply 54
Is anybody doing The Wife of Bath and The White Devil? We've only just started the Wife of Bath and the exams in a couple of weeks! So our teacher isn't going to have time to go over where the 2 books can be compared and contrasted and I can literally only think of women or sin maybe? :eek:
Reply 55
I might make a couple of powerpoints on Blake and King Lear/Oedipus for my revision. If anyone has any requests for specific poems or themes then let me know.
Reply 56
Can I just ask everyone? What are we actually getting assessed on in the exam? For example, my teacher keeps saying 'thematic this' and 'thematic that'. She hasn't made any mention to linguistic analysis. I have no idea what's wrong with my laptop/or TSR. It's writing in bold and italics even though I don't want it to :unimpressed:
Reply 57
Original post by Kousar
Can I just ask everyone? What are we actually getting assessed on in the exam? For example, my teacher keeps saying 'thematic this' and 'thematic that'. She hasn't made any mention to linguistic analysis. I have no idea what's wrong with my laptop/or TSR. It's writing in bold and italics even though I don't want it to :unimpressed:

There is a definite need for linguistic analysis. An example of how I would approach a question would be:

"How does Shakespeare present the theme of control in King Lear?"

-Establish what aspect of "control" you are looking at: I'm going to chose control by gods/religion

-Quote and analyse the language. A good quote would be "like flies to wanton boys we are to the gods. they kill us for their sport" analysis: it's a simile there's the juxtaposition of flies to boys creating a definite power hierarchy between the two.
Another quote is the personification of nature by Edmund "Nature, thou art my goddess" so even the Evil characters, Edmund, believe in the power of gods.
Context - Here would could link in context about the pagan beliefs of the Elizabethan area, Shakespeare's own beliefs, etc.
Critical opinion - Some critics suggest that Shakespeare is promoting atheism as the "good" cordelia is not rewarded, some say Lear embodies Christ due to his suffering and sacrifice and he is even depicted wearing a crown of nettles. (The names of the critics are in York Notes, i'm just trying to recall from memory)
Link to Oedipus - Oedipus' fate is doomed by the Gods from the start, dramatic irony due to "Oedipus Myth", polytheistic grecian society. "Apollo" and Oracles at Delphi are in control.
Reply 58
Original post by H0ls
There is a definite need for linguistic analysis. An example of how I would approach a question would be:

"How does Shakespeare present the theme of control in King Lear?"

-Establish what aspect of "control" you are looking at: I'm going to chose control by gods/religion

-Quote and analyse the language. A good quote would be "like flies to wanton boys we are to the gods. they kill us for their sport" analysis: it's a simile there's the juxtaposition of flies to boys creating a definite power hierarchy between the two.
Another quote is the personification of nature by Edmund "Nature, thou art my goddess" so even the Evil characters, Edmund, believe in the power of gods.
Context - Here would could link in context about the pagan beliefs of the Elizabethan area, Shakespeare's own beliefs, etc.
Critical opinion - Some critics suggest that Shakespeare is promoting atheism as the "good" cordelia is not rewarded, some say Lear embodies Christ due to his suffering and sacrifice and he is even depicted wearing a crown of nettles. (The names of the critics are in York Notes, i'm just trying to recall from memory)
Link to Oedipus - Oedipus' fate is doomed by the Gods from the start, dramatic irony due to "Oedipus Myth", polytheistic grecian society. "Apollo" and Oracles at Delphi are in control.
thank you so much for this :smile: Maybe you should be my teacher! I cannot believe this, why has my teacher not mentioned ANYTHING like this? :/ Like nothing about your critics bit nor language.... oh deary me. And we're so close to the exam...
Reply 59
Original post by Kousar
thank you so much for this :smile: Maybe you should be my teacher! I cannot believe this, why has my teacher not mentioned ANYTHING like this? :/ Like nothing about your critics bit nor language.... oh deary me. And we're so close to the exam...

Thats how I approach each paragraph. Take a quick look at the markscheme on WJEC website. It tells you everything you need to do to hit the marks. You can get marks for critics by signposting alternative interpretations also.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending