The Student Room Group

Best gdl revision book - thoughts guys???

Hello everyone, need your help if you have used any of these law notes before, what do you think of them? What one should I buy?? Exams are getting closer so I need a good one

1) Floatnotes (but are they worth the higher price?)

2) GDL answered

3) GDL guru

4) Any others I haven't heard of guys? I'm doing the gdl at bpp, but it would be great if any llb students knew of other books from their law degrees that I could use for the gdl?

Thanks!!!
Reply 1
Floatnotes - they're fantastic, well worth the high price tag :smile:
Reply 2
the books with bpp are really good so i wouldn't buy any extra tbh, save your money for the summer holidays :smile:
Reply 3
thanks guys. Kate can you tell me are floatnotes better than the others? what other guides have you seen?
Reply 4
also mr slant same question from you please??
Well, I can't tell you about Float Notes, as I haven't seen anyone using one, but I did get to look at YourGDL, which is a guide not on your list. I chose to use GDL Answered because it was clearly set out, like these things are meant to be, but had more explanations of legal definitions etc than Your GDL, which saved me a bit of work (which I am assuming is why you want one?) I didn't look at GDL Guru because it was written a few years ago, so I assumed it wasn't as up-to-date, but I don't actually know about it as I haven't used it. Can't think of any others of the top of my head, but there will be plenty on Google.
Original post by fushunchups
Hello everyone, need your help if you have used any of these law notes before, what do you think of them? What one should I buy?? Exams are getting closer so I need a good one

1) Floatnotes (but are they worth the higher price?)

2) GDL answered

3) GDL guru

4) Any others I haven't heard of guys? I'm doing the gdl at bpp, but it would be great if any llb students knew of other books from their law degrees that I could use for the gdl?

Thanks!!!

I am currently using YourGDL. Amazing notes and up to date! Everyone in my class is also using YourGDL. You do have to actually read the manual before using it. But it gives you structures with all the case law very consisely. DO NOT GET GDL GURU. It has not been update since it has been written, people in my class who have this have gotten frustrated with it.
IMHO, the one to go for is GDL Answered. I've found it to be very clear, and it explains the legal definitions and cases as you go along, which the other guides that you mentioned often don't. I think GDL Answered is the best one for structure as well.

Also, cinderella1990 makes a good point re GDL Guru - I wasn't aware that it wasn't up to date.
Reply 8
Personally, I liked YourGDL best. They've apparently been around for ages and update every year and I found the structures really helpful as I don't always have time to consolidate my messy notes after class. My friend at BPP has GDL Answered and she likes it but has found quite a few mistakes with clause numbers and things. Horses for courses though, either will be helpful for revision but you need to be learning from the textbooks as your first point of call.
Reply 9
Hey everyone, just finished the gdl so thought I would let you know that I went for gdl answered in the end and it was great, really pleased with it as I got a way better mark in the end that I though I would, definitely the one to go for!!
Hi fushunchups,

This is probably a bit late for you in your case as you've done the gdl but as far I can tell here is the complete list of guides and prices for 2013-2014 for the benefit of any current GDL students:

1) YourGDL -£39.99
2) GDL Elite - £39.99
3) Floatnotes - £69.95
4) GDL Answered - £39.99
5) GDL Guru - £69.99

The guides seems to vary in terms of their comprehensiveness and structure (diagrams, flowcharts and step-by-step approaches to problem questions) so it is a good idea to have a look at the samples on the respective websites to decide which one best suits your learning style.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
I used YourGDL for GDL and YourLPC for LPC. Both were excellent and well worth the investment. Would highly recommend
(edited 9 years ago)
Yeh l agree ClaireHG, YourGDL was really good (YourGDL.co.uk) They have a BPP version now as well. I hope that helps, I really recommend!
Reply 13
Any suggestions for someone going attending City next year?? Some of these seem to be more tailored to other schools.
Cheapest gdl prices are around Manchester/Liverpool

Posted from TSR Mobile
No mention of LawMindMaps? They're amazing.
I suggest the GDLanswered. I originally bought yourGDL as there seemed to be good reviews about it on some various threads. Big mistake. Won't go as far as saying don't buy yourGDL but it's so bare boned that you could just assemble your lecture slides and get the same thing.
What I was looking for in a guide was:
1) structure
2) General rule, exceptions and case authority for them
3) Extra considerations to push my essays to distinction level without having to go through all the waffle of the study notes e.g. Judge comments, comparisons between cases

but with yourGDL you're going to have to trudge through all the studynotes including the waffle because it literally only does the first two and not the third. GDL answered also seems to have 2 weeks return policy whereas yourGDL doesn't so you can return it if you don't like it. I'm studying at BPP at the moment so have the 2016/2017 guide of both books.
Reply 17
I am currently using the YourGDL guide, and have found lots of mistakes. So I would not recommend buying this book. I have heard that GDL Answered is the best.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending