The Student Room Group

Labour supporting Duncan Smith in defending slave work at Poundland

Scroll to see replies

Like I said before, I know people that it has worked for. Not saying it will for everyone, but it helped. Maybe they need to be more regulated making sure people get training, but honestly, retail training isn't that bad. Someone needs to work in retail after all. If EVERYBODY had training or a degree, then someone who has professional training will have to go into retail jobs.

Also, it is a little bit harsh to all poundland a "****hole". A lot of people's whole careers are around jobs like that. It's just people trying to make a living :smile:
These schemes are simply catch-22!!

Poundland, Tesco etc. get people to work for free, which means they are not paying for real employees, which means that people have to go on the dole, which means that these people do free work, which means they are not paying people for real work............................

Pretty obvious to any sane person, that they should be getting people to do community jobs, where no fat cats at the top of the pyramid rakes in the tax payers money. This may also motivate people to actually go and get a job.......... at poundland, tesco etc. for real pay.
Companies have to sign agreements to consider people they take on for real roles, and are not allowed to get rid of employees for "free employees". Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if it actually costs the company more than they get to take them on

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheJoshwha
Companies have to sign agreements to consider people they take on for real roles, and are not allowed to get rid of employees for "free employees". Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if it actually costs the company more than they get to take them on

Posted from TSR Mobile

"consider"
After 6 months aswell?

You really think these companys are in it for the good of the country? :s-smilie:
They are in it to help out the government. I imagine there must be some benefit to being on the governments "good side". But big companies aren't the devil. They boost the economy and employ a lot of people, just make a lot of money on the way :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
The best thing about it is it should work as a deterrent for people who will never take a job.
100% agreed! :smile: I tried to make that point earlier but it sort of got lost in the mix :')

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 187

oops
(edited 11 years ago)

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is pretty expensive. Not only do they have to have insurance policies that cover people who are not employees or customers in store, they also loose a hell of a lot in man hours as for every person they take on, an actual employee has to stop doing their job and get the newbie up to speed which is a drain on man-hours.
Original post by gateshipone
It is pretty expensive. Not only do they have to have insurance policies that cover people who are not employees or customers in store, they also loose a hell of a lot in man hours as for every person they take on, an actual employee has to stop doing their job and get the newbie up to speed which is a drain on man-hours.

Which is why chain retailers are the only ones for whom it's profitable (they will prob get lower premiums than Jeff's Home o' Widgets down the road, and have more staff to cover.)

The government needs to be committed to underwriting the extra costs of a charity, non-profit or small business doing it. (I would in fact accept a limited range of small for-profit businesses taking advantage of the scheme, subject to stringent conditions including the jobseeker getting to choose where he goes.
Like I said before, I know people that it has worked for. Not saying it will for everyone, but it helped. Maybe they need to be more regulated making sure people get training, but honestly, retail training isn't that bad. Someone needs to work in retail after all. If EVERYBODY had training or a degree, then someone who has professional training will have to go into retail jobs.

Also, it is a little bit harsh to all poundland a "****hole". A lot of people's whole careers are around jobs like that. It's just people trying to make a living :smile:

Workfare is not retail training.

Back in the day, when I were a lad, people got trained on the job and got paid for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you really that naive?
They are in it to help out the government. I imagine there must be some benefit to being on the governments "good side". But big companies aren't the devil. They boost the economy and employ a lot of people, just make a lot of money on the way :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh. You are.
Yes, but who would want to pay someone who hasn't had any work whatsoever for 2 years and next to know experience, when someone who has just been made redundant, and has 20 years experience wants the same pay? We can't pay everyone and benefits even more to be trained, because then either taxes will rocket up, or somewhere else would have to lose funding

Posted from TSR Mobile

Public liability would cover it, they already have that. They save on wages, NI, interviewing, HR costs, advertising vacancies. To say it costs them money is daft.
Original post by Kibalchich
Public liability would cover it, they already have that. They save on wages, NI, interviewing, HR costs, advertising vacancies. To say it costs them money is daft.

So how come every small business in my town that was approached to take people on for work placements came back and said it cost them too much to do?
So how come every small business in my town that was approached to take people on for work placements came back and said it cost them too much to do?

Did they? What evidence do we have for this? There's a small business up the road from me that takes workfare placements.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending