The Student Room Group

Automotive engineering: WHICH UNI!?

Poll

Which uni?

Hey guys, I have applied for automotive engineering degrees starting in september and had offers from all of the 3 ive narrowed it down too.
I know i should go to the open days to look but i live in rural devon so going to see them would be very expensive! so i need your opinions!

Out of the three is;
Coventry university
plusses: well funded, new facilities, one of the best uni motorsport teams and formula student teams, close to automotive and motorsport buisnesses
minuses:harder to get into (might just match offer) expensive, night life is supposed to be poor and its bit of crphole apparently.

Brighton university:
Plusses:great nightlife, closest, close to london, links with ricardo, suposed to be pretty, easiest to get into (already matched offer), good ratio of girls to straight guys due to that 'that thing' :wink:
minusess: 'that' reputation, far away from most buisnesses, abit samey to where i currently live, expensive

Swansea metropolitan
Plusses: cheapest by a long way, wales is beautiful, get paid £500 a year, close to a race circuit and jlr engine plant (apparently!) good formula student team
minuses: only been offered a hnd course and is quite hard to get grades, course doesnt have a good satisfaction rating on unistats

That all i really know in small detail!
Any help and experiences would be much appreciated!
thanks

ps ive also applied for loughbrough and hertfordshire but these were both backups, but if you guys think they're better let me know!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by AaronShort555
Hey guys, I have applied for automotive engineering degrees starting in september and had offers from all of the 3 ive narrowed it down too.
I know i should go to the open days to look but i live in rural devon so going to see them would be very expensive! so i need your opinions!

Out of the three is;
Coventry university
plusses: well funded, new facilities, one of the best uni motorsport teams and formula student teams, close to automotive and motorsport buisnesses
minuses:harder to get into (might just match offer) expensive, night life is supposed to be poor and its bit of crphole apparently.

Brighton university:
Plusses:great nightlife, closest, close to london, links with ricardo, suposed to be pretty, easiest to get into (already matched offer), good ratio of girls to straight guys due to that 'that thing' :wink:
minusess: 'that' reputation, far away from most buisnesses, abit samey to where i currently live, expensive

Swansea metropolitan
Plusses: cheapest by a long way, wales is beautiful, get paid £500 a year, close to a race circuit and jlr engine plant (apparently!) good formula student team
minuses: only been offered a hnd course and is quite hard to get grades, course doesnt have a good satisfaction rating on unistats

That all i really know in small detail!
Any help and experiences would be much appreciated!
thanks

ps ive also applied for loughbrough and hertfordshire but these were both backups, but if you guys think they're better let me know!

In all honesty, you're about to decide where you want to be living for the next 3/4 years of your life, so I would stop being so cheap/lazy and get your arse to these places and find out where you want to go. You'll know where you want to go as soon as you step on to the campuses.

Having said that, Coventry IS a **** hole but the uni campus is good. Brighton is really cool. And Swansea is in Wales.

And on a side note, I would have thought that Loughborough was better than the other 3 in terms of the uni itself, but i'm only going based on Mechanical engineering.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest