The Student Room Group

Tesco Options Programme

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not sure if there is already a discussion made for this subject as i am new to the boards.

I have my Sign-On next month for the Tesco Management Programme, and any advice would be greatly appreciated?

Also any help on how to write a personal development plan (Tesco focused) would be a big help too. Thanks, Stacy.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Just came back from my sign-on yesterday. I was asked to go on options about 9 days ago, nothing was mentioned then till the end of last week where i was told i was flying off to get signed on. I got 92% in it, and thats me with less than a weeks notice and going from a part time evenings job on fresh.

However, the sign-on isn't as easy as i may have made it sound. There's 5 tasks. My first task on the day was scheduling and prioritising. For this, you were given an info sheet, explaining the situation for the day, telling you what needs done and why etc etc. On the next sheet was a proposed timetable esque schedule for the day. On the next page was 3 unforseen problems that popped up for the day. You couldnt fit everything in, it's ment to be like that, so you have to prioritise your tasks, and re-doing the schedule. Afterwards, you need to explain each step in your schedule, why you have it there, why you left out something etc, you do this for each step in your schedule. As a part time GA, i struggled with this, as i didn't have any exposure to that sort of thing, but i still scored 92% so dont worry TOO much.

task 2 was the "Scenario's." Theres 4 of them, and you have to go through them explaining what you would do as line manager in these situation(I did this at the same time as the above task). E.G. "A customer came in and was struggling to maneuver around the clothing section, and came across 2 members of staff blocking her way and were reluctant to move, but eventually did, but made her feel like she was a burden instead of a valued customer" (Theres a lot more detail in the actual scenario, but just to give you an idea) So your task is to explain how you would deal with this complaint.

Next, i had a 1to1 interview. Your asked typical interview questions, such as "when have you gone over and above to help a customer"

Next up was the "Role-playing" scenario, where you have a scenario, much like the 4 you have to do anyway, exept this time, instead of explaining what you would do, you have to literally do it and your assessor plays the part of the problem employee. This can be difficult, because there told to be defensive and not give too much away, so you just need to keep chipping away at them and think on your feet.

Lastly we had a group discussion. This was just a couple of problem your whole group have to discuss and agree on a solution. The key to this is be involved, but dont be an overpowering *******. I had some loud mouth d*ck in my group that i literally asked to shut up to give one of the quieter people a go. Its all about being good in a team, not about being a dictator, so if your as confident and comfortable in a group as i am, ask the opinions of the quieter folk and be sure to include everyone. Even if you have no idea's yourself, just say stuff like "Yea, thats a good idea, i like that"

Afterwards you wait about half an hour while the assessors decide your fate.

If you want anymore info feel free to ask.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Also for your PDP, just have a think about what you do well, what your not so good at and what you'd like to learn. It's all about developing your own skills so just be as honest as possible in it. People tend to struggle with the "What im good at" bit because they dont like to blow there own trumpet, but put that out of your mind, if you good at something, your good at it, so write it.
Reply 3
Thanks for your help. I had my sign on this week, and passed! Your info really help!
Reply 4
Hi again guys, as im now nearing the end of the Options process just thought id come back and see how everyone else is getting on? And also see if anyone's been to their sign-off interview yet?? Ive got mine in a couple of weeks.. So nervous!! Any advice, once again, would be appreciated. Thanks.
Reply 5
Original post by Stacy88
Hi again guys, as im now nearing the end of the Options process just thought id come back and see how everyone else is getting on? And also see if anyone's been to their sign-off interview yet?? Ive got mine in a couple of weeks.. So nervous!! Any advice, once again, would be appreciated. Thanks.

I've got another 6 or so weeks left of my placement. Things didn't quite move as fast as promised for me, but getting there now. I've come along very nicely recently, had to make some pretty tough decisions along the way too. Hardest part for me is keeping on top of my Options folder. Hard to find the time to sit down with your mentor every week for your reviews. Your nearly there when your in another store and find yourself tearing apart the label alignment and merchandising errors lol.
Reply 6
Hi, just wondering if anyone has completed their sign-on recently since the process has changed? If so, what was it like? 😁
wow, would love to work at whatever stores you lot are at. at my store we have had no one 'sign-on' for at least 5 years plus that I know of. managers use the phrase "it will look good for your options sign on if you stay on, work unsocialble hours" basically a thinly vieled balck mail that if you don't do this even though its last minute and we have strung you along for the past 8 months with promises of being signed on and never delivering, we will put your 'sign-on' off again and again. we have a senior night manager who keeps making all these promises about what we will do, we will support you, give you this training etc. and you do your best to get yourself in a good position and yet all they do is take the piss, by constantly 'forgetting' what they have said.
Reply 8
darkpreacher what store are you working at?
Reply 9
Does anyone know the new procedure to options sign on process?
Reply 10
Hi can anyone help me with the order/structure of the options folder please?
Does anyone have any tips for new sign on process?
Hello guys,
I'm completing my sign on on the 15th September, wish me luck, seems that the process hasn't changed at all.
Hope all that have worries understand there is nothing to worry about and to just be yourselves your at this point for a reason :smile:
Who do I talk to about signing onto options? How long does it take? How do you know you're ready to start to train and roughly how long should you of worked at Tesco before starting options?
Sorry for all the questions I'm trying to learn about it :smile:
Reply 14
Hi I've got my sign on day in a few weeks. Any tips and suggestions from anybody who has done it recently
Reply 15
Hello, I am intrested in doing the Tesco Management programme. But I was wondering when the applications for september 2016 start because I have been searching on their website and I did see that the applications where open. But I was'nt sure if it was for the 2016 intake. Would anyone know ?
Thanks for your help,
Cécile
Reply 16
I've got my sign on assessment next Wednesday. It's only the second time the new procedure has been carried out in my area, so my manager isn't able to provide me with much information. However, I am quietly confident as everyone at work has said how much confidence they have in me, which is boosting me forward. This next week is going to be nerve racking, but for all the good reasons hopefully :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by Cecile99
Hello, I am intrested in doing the Tesco Management programme. But I was wondering when the applications for september 2016 start because I have been searching on their website and I did see that the applications where open. But I was'nt sure if it was for the 2016 intake. Would anyone know ?
Thanks for your help,
Cécile

Hi, I'm not sure if you already work for Tesco in some area, but that is the first requirement. Normally it is the stores senior managements decision as to weather they put a candidate forward to start the training. Therefore all future managers have worked their way through the business, as opposed to taking on people from outside the business straight into management.

As I understand, you aren't able to put yourself forward, however you can show interest in the training to your manager which might help.

Hope this helps :smile:
I have to do a five minute presentation. For
My pre options any tips of how to approach this
Reply 19
Original post by Johnr1971
I have to do a five minute presentation. For
My pre options any tips of how to approach this

Do something unusual... Grab the persons attention and make them know who's in controls, but don't over do it ahah...

Involve the person, make them answer some question or get them to participate with something

Quick Reply

Latest