Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does science count as 3 GCSE's?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've never really thought about it but does taking all 3 sciences count as 3 gcse's but all 3 sciences are combined in 1 test?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    It depends. Double science is worth 2 GCSE's and triple science is worth 3 GCSE's. I don't if this has changed now but when I did GCSE's that's how it was.
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexmaan)
    I've never really thought about it but does taking all 3 sciences count as 3 gcse's but all 3 sciences are combined in 1 test?
    I doubt it. Ask your teachers to be sure, though.

Edit: Negged?! Why?!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexmaan)
    If they're combined into one test then it counts as one GCSE. If you do Triple Science (3 separate subjects and exams) then you'll get 3 GCSEs.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    *GCSEs

But, otherwise, alexmaan is right. I did double science on AQA and, if I remember correctly, there were 2 exams plus a couple of assessed experiments (Investigative Skills Assessment) for each of biology, chemistry and physics.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you're doing Triple science (biology, chemistry and physics) then it counts as 3
    Core science + Additional = double award which is equivalent to 2.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Check with your teachers you can do a variety of different examinations in different combinations with different exam boards and different qualifications (IB & IGCSE). Most people are taught in separate lessons but that doesn't necessarily mean they'll take 3 sciences individually or an award which produces 3 GCSEs.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    If your taking double award then on your results slip will it say biology, chemistry, physics ?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Midnight1811)
    If your taking double award then on your results slip will it say biology, chemistry, physics ?
    If you take a double award your certificates will say....Core Science and Additional Science.
    • 100 followers

ReputationRep:
    Others have pretty much nailed it:

Triple Science - separate awards for Biology, Chemistry and Physics.
    Double Science - Core and Additional award.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I did triple, and on my certificate I have all 5 listed (bio,chem,phy,additional and science). So do only the 3 separate science ones count?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    If you choose Triple Science. You'll take a test in Physics, Biology and Chemistry and you'll get a separate grade for each, equalling 3 GCSE's.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 17, 2013
New on TSR

A-Level Results Day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.