The Student Room Group

What annual wage do you want at the peak of your career and from what job?

I have to be honest, I can't set a limit but I'd love to earn loads of money annually but I'd be happy with £35,000 per year minimum, job = Pharmacist

yourself?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Konvict Muzic.
I have to be honest, I can't set a limit but I'd love to earn loads of money annually but I'd be happy with £35,000 per year minimum, job = Pharmacist

yourself?

I don't really care as long as I have enough to reasonably live on. I can't say I have a huge love/lust for money.

My job, on the other hand, would have to be something I enjoyed.
Reply 2
Original post by Mazzini
I don't really care as long as I have enough to reasonably live on. I can't say I have a huge love/lust for money.

My job, on the other hand, would have to be something I enjoyed.

What are you inspiring to be?
Reply 3
Original post by Konvict Muzic.
What are you inspiring to be?

I assume you mean "aspiring" rather than "inspiring" :tongue:

But I have no idea, I have to do my UCAS application soon but I have no idea what to do for that either.
Reply 4
Original post by Mazzini
I assume you mean "aspiring" rather than "inspiring" :tongue:

But I have no idea, I have to do my UCAS application soon but I have no idea what to do for that either.

Doctor, lawyer?? something different??
This thread has been done to death. I can pretty much sum it up in this post.

RandomGuy
I think I'd be happy with £70k per annum. It's the least I'm expecting tbh.

Tosser1
I'm pretty certain most investment bankers earn at least £100k so I'm hoping for £150k within 5 years of graduating

Freelovehippy
RandomGuy
I think I'd be happy with £70k per annum. It's the least I'm expecting tbh.

Tosser1
I'm pretty certain most investment bankers earn at least £100k so I'm hoping for £150k within 5 years of graduating

You guys are being totally unrealistic. Besides, all you need is enough money to get by. I'm training to be a doctor and I'd be happy with £25k *lie*

Tosser2
I'm training in floral graphic design at the University of Crapsville, and I would like at least £200k at my peak

Tosser3RevengeoftheTosser
Tosser2
I'm training in floral graphic design at the University of Crapsville, and I would like at least £200k at my peak

Really? I'm doing a degree in culinary arts and even I'm not expecting to make that much. Somewhere in the £175k region would be more realistic

Hippysnake
You're all knobs.
Reply 6
What do I want? Two million a year.

What is possible? 60-100k.

What is realistic? 35-45k.

Job: Hopefully a barrister; but might join the EU bureaucracy instead.
Well, I used to aspire to be on at least £30/£35k (as a scientist, a huge salary isn't too likely), but in the last year my confidence has plummeted and my aspirations have almost disappeared. Now I just want a job in any area that has some progression available and I will hopefully be on £25k eventually. Maybe.
Original post by Hippysnake
This thread has been done to death. I can pretty much sum it up in this post.

Haha! Agreed.

To respond to the question (again) I'd hope for c.£80k inflation corrected... In reality I'm probably looking at £55-65k even if I excel (not a given).

I'm training to be a solicitor in the regions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
jesus. 55-65K as a worst case scenario. woh.
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
jesus. 55-65K as a worst case scenario. woh.

Worst case scenario is failing to get retained, not getting in elsewhere and then spending my career paralegalling for never more than £24k.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't care as long as I've got enough for food, bills, and a bit left over for things I can enjoy.
I think I want to be on about 35/40k when Im 30 :smile:

On the down side, I have no idea what I want to do :tongue:
Reply 14
I would be expecting nothing -> hoping for around 40k :smile: Computer science/research... Enough to provide for self/fam/cookies.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 15
Are all these figures what you hope to make before tax? I never realised until recently just how much tax takes off:

If you earn £35k you actually pocket £26k
£30k , you pocket £23k ,
you can use this calculator: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/tax-calculator/
I wan't to pursue a career in project management or something related to adminstration. I would like to start off with £20,000 then work towards a bigger salary at the peak of my career something between £50,000 - £100,000 with atleast 5+ year experience and preferably with the same company.
(edited 11 years ago)
I'd be happy with about £35000 but I'm aiming for around £100,000+. May as well be ambitious.
Original post by llessur123
I'd be happy with about £35000 but I'm aiming for around £100,000+. May as well be ambitious.

Which profession are you looking into?
Reply 19
i don't think money should be the main motivation to do something with your life but back on topic at hand i think something to live on an support yourself would be good, around 35 000 a year. i want to study architecture so if i stick with it for the full 7 years the money shouldn't be an issue hopefully. but if money wasn't a motivation i would say i would like to become a painter. check out this video i saw recently. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L_cGjQSR80
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending