The Student Room Group

Feminist Frequency

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Robbie242
Ok maybe I was quick to reach a judgement but seriously this happens all the time in mainstream feminism, I think people should abandon feminism completely and leave those desperate losers with it, and seek something more on the lines of granting equal opportunities

If you're interested I would strongly recommend listening to this http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01r4zmr/Womans_Hour_Weekend_Womans_Hour_Meklit_Hadero_Shelby_and_what_is_modern_feminism/
It discusses the definition of a modern feminist and it is rather interesting.
I wouldn't ever abandon the term 'feminist' as the MAJORITY of us are in fact sane women and MEN who don't want female supremacy but equality (or as close as we can get to it). I would however like to reclaim the word and weed out those extremists who bring a bad name to the movement.
Original post by dartanoir
You mean at school?
If you do - English lit, history and french

COUT //"The value of your opinion on the"// first line of text
/gaming industry suddenly diminished to me."/
Seriously C++, Pearl or Java or gtfo.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by jreid1994
The value of your opinion on the gaming industry suddenly diminished to me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So just because I study arts subjects my opinion suddenly becomes invalid? How exactly does that work? My academics have nothing to do with my recreational activities.
Reply 23
So just because I study arts subjects my opinion suddenly becomes invalid? How exactly does that work? My academics have nothing to do with my recreational activities.
I'd hardly call them arts subjects... All 3 of those alevels are tough
Reply 24
Ok maybe I was quick to reach a judgement but seriously this happens all the time in mainstream feminism, I think people should abandon feminism completely and leave those desperate losers with it, and seek something more on the lines of granting equal opportunities

They're the ones that get given a voice because they create the most controversy though.

Women saying I like men and also women and everything should be fair lets all get along don't tend to get many youtube views/column inches.

Maths(FM),Phys or gtfo. If you van write "hello world" and know what I'm talking about ill value your opinion again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by jreid1994
Maths(FM),Phys or gtfo.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't really understand your argument? How exactly are my subject choices relevant to the discussion?
Reply 27
Original post by redferry
They're the ones that get given a voice because they create the most controversy though.

Women saying I like men and also women and everything should be fair lets all get along don't tend to get many youtube views/column inches.
Feminism just doesn't work though, its horribly unbalanced due to the extreme-feminazi's. I hate anything that directly dedicated to one gender, I extremely respect Emmeline Pankhurst, Millicent Fawcett/ Frances Mary Buss etc but modern day feminism is just dead, the majority of the opportunities have being claimed and now even stereotypes are going against men, the most controversial ones of course being domestic violence and rape
I don't really understand your argument? How exactly are my subject choices relevant to the discussion?

Lol. COUT // "LOL." \\ me laughing because you don't understand.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
If I am so 'butt ugly' and 'out of shape' how would you explain constant cat calling, threats of rape, and groping?

You regularly get threatened with rape? I smell bull****.....
Reply 30
Feminism just doesn't work though, its horribly unbalanced due to the extreme-feminazi's. I hate anything that directly dedicated to one gender, I extremely respect Emmeline Pankhurst, Millicent Fawcett/ Frances Mary Buss etc but modern day feminism is just dead, the majority of the opportunities have being claimed and now even stereotypes are going against men, the most controversial ones of course being domestic violence and rape

I would class myself as a feminist and I am pretty balanced in terms of my gender support. I was thinking of starting to blog on the matter but then I realised all the hate I get for sticking up for women's rights even when it's alongside sticking up for men's rights just isn't worth it, it makes me too full of hatred for the entire universe.
Either that or no-one would read it.

I wouldn't say feminism for me is about 'claiming opportunities' it's about promoting equality and encouraging to see things beyond the gender lense we are encouraged to look through from an early age. It's about getting everyone to realise and accept the challenges that effect one gender disproportionately to the other and then maybe people will start to do something about it.
Reply 31
I would class myself as a feminist and I am pretty balanced in terms of my gender support. I was thinking of starting to blog on the matter but then I realised all the hate I get for sticking up for women's rights even when it's alongside sticking up for men's rights just isn't worth it, it makes me too full of hatred for the entire universe.
Either that or no-one would read it.

I wouldn't say feminism for me is about 'claiming opportunities' it's about promoting equality and encouraging to see things beyond the gender lense we are encouraged to look through from an early age. It's about getting everyone to realise and accept the challenges that effect one gender disproportionately to the other and then maybe people will start to do something about it.
Modern Feminism isn't. I respect the fact that you fight for equality but the vision of feminism has being tarnished by modern day feminazis who have nothing better to do but complain about unnecessary stuff
It's about getting everyone to realise and accept the challenges that effect one gender disproportionately to the other and then maybe people will start to do something about it.

Which challenges would these be?
I'd hardly call them arts subjects... All 3 of those alevels are tough

You do know that 'arts' is not a synonym for 'piss-easy', right?
Reply 34
Original post by truffle_girl
You regularly get threatened with rape? I smell bull****.....

Just because it's something that you don't personally experience, doesn't mean it doesn't happen to other people. Obviously I realise that most of the time the threats aren't serious but it still makes me feel uneasy and uncomfortable.
Reply 35
Original post by PythianLegume
You do know that 'arts' is not a synonym for 'piss-easy', right?
I'd say more they're Humanities/English/Languages, Arts is stuff like Art, Media, Drama, anything studies etc
Just because it's something that you don't personally experience, doesn't mean it doesn't happen to other people. Obviously I realise that most of the time the threats aren't serious but it still makes me feel uneasy and uncomfortable.

So, care to elaborate? You're saying that guys on the street regularly shout "I'm going to rape you"? Or in clubs? Where is this happening? Is Grantham like the English Harlem?
Reply 37
Original post by truffle_girl
Which challenges would these be?

Well for example women are more likely to be sexually harassed on a day to day basis in the street and men are more likely to get longer prison sentences. Women are more likely to get raped or be a victim of DV and men are more likely not to get custody of the kids in a divorce. I think all of these things stem from other gender issues personally. Obviously when these things happen to the non-typical gender it is equally as bad (and rape needs redefining within the law really) but I think gender stereotyping can be the root cause in many cases. Gender stereotypes hurt both genders equally.
I'd say more they're Humanities/English/Languages, Arts is stuff like Art, Media, Drama, anything studies etc

I can see where you're coming from that they might not be arts (literature definitely is an art, but history and language not really), but saying that they're difficult subjects as evidence they're not arts is still a bit prejudiced.
Reply 39
Modern Feminism isn't. I respect the fact that you fight for equality but the vision of feminism has being tarnished by modern day feminazis who have nothing better to do but complain about unnecessary stuff

I actually think the term feminazis is horrific. I mean equating feminists to nazis is just wrong. I get called it on a daily basis, and I haven't gassed any jewish or disabled people as far as I know.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending