The Student Room Group

Official AQA Biology Unit 3 14th May 2013 NEW SPEC

Poll

VOTE HERE--> What do you think the 6 marker will be?

Official exam discussion for Biology May 14th 2013 AQA NEW SPEC paper.
Feel free to post any useful revision tips/ask questions.
Please ensure that you have read the site's exam rules before posting.
Specimen papers and specific specification details can be found at: http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/science/gcse/biology-4401/past-papers-and-mark-schemes
If you have a physics Unit 3 exam or any other Unit 3s this summer please check out these threads:

Physics
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=42526639&highlight=physics%20%20p3%202013%20new%20spec

General Unit 3 discussion:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2296889

Well done to everyone who sat the exams, please feel free to discuss your answers.

The unofficial mark scheme can be found on this thread : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2351258

All credits of the mark scheme go to Quanta, when you look at the mark scheme please give their post a +1 to thank them because it takes A LOT of effort to make a mark scheme after an exam especially when you don't have the paper!
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by grammar12
Feel free to post revision resources, tips, and questions.

Hey, I'm taking this exam. What do you think will come up??
I think Kidney Transplants, Food Production, Osmosis, and Transpiration will definitely come up. Do you think Grade boundaries will be high or low? Its the first Unit 3 ever so....
Reply 3
What do we think will come up?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Well I assume all the new things to the spec. And based on the unit 2 exams, where i only scraped A*s, our year is pretty clever. So I think they'll be quite high, but not too high because people have other exams.

Im setting them at 47+:A*
42: A
37: B
Maybe higher or lower. But roughly like that I reckon.
Reply 5
I am really worried about these exams, I hope th boundaries are low because the unit 2 boundaries were really high so they may take that into consideration? I hope so anyway!
I have done the specimen paper and scored 50/60 is there any other exam questions out there that people know of?

I have the link to the specimen paper below, I hope people can send me some links to a few questions it would help me a lot! (I know this is the first unit 3 exam so I am not expecting a whole exam paper)

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-BIOL-W-SQP-3H.PDF
nice i got 51 on that paper, we did it in lesson i think. And yeah, more than definitely there'll be a question about advantages and disadvantages of something.

I'm kinda hoping the grade boundaries are lowish, but i doubt it as many people probs did badly in science on unit 2, so they're revising much more for unit 3.

Or they're retaking and doing less revision as they have to spread it out, which is a good thing for us who aren't retaking
Reply 8
It's on Tuesday the 14th not Monday...
Trying to get all of my Biology revision done for this Tuesday, then i can do some Chemistry revision. Back to Biology before the exam.
Original post by Kill3er
It's on Tuesday the 14th not Monday...
Trying to get all of my Biology revision done for this Tuesday, then i can do some Chemistry revision. Back to Biology before the exam.

Are you sitting the AQA CERTIFICATE exam? My biology exam is on the 14th too but I'm sitting the certificate in science exam so I'm not sure if the thread starter is talking about the same exam.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by thepurpletrain
Are you sitting the AQA CERTIFICATE exam? My biology exam is on the 14th too but I'm sitting the certificate in science exam so I'm not sure if the thread starter is talking about the same exam.

I don't really know what that means, but this is the final unit...so i will be receiving the full GCSE certificate for Biology, Chemistry and Physics.

I think it was just a simple mistake made by the OP.
Original post by Kill3er
I don't really know what that means, but this is the final unit...so i will be receiving the full GCSE certificate for Biology, Chemistry and Physics.

I think it was just a simple mistake made by the OP.

Okay we're sitting two different exams. Sorry for any confusion, I was trying to find out if these papers apply to me. I sit a biology exam on the 14th May and 5th June and that's what makes up my Biology GCSE. If the exam you sit on the 14th May is your final unit we must be doing different AQA courses :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by thepurpletrain
Okay we're sitting two different exams. Sorry for any confusion, I was trying to find out if these papers apply to me. I sit a biology exam on the 14th May and 5th June and that's what makes up my Biology GCSE. If the exam you sit on the 14th May is your final unit we must be doing different AQA courses :smile:

I think you're referring to the IGCSE? (AQA Certificate?)
thepurpletrain

are you referring to the IGCSE exam?

If so, the thread is about with GCSE :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Mrkingpenguin aka OP

could you please add a poll for the 6 marker
what does everyone think will come up in the test?????????
These are my official predictions:
- circulation
- the blood
- lungs
- ventilation
- controlling blood glucose
- effects of climate change
- efficiency of food production
- biogas production (6-mark question)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Hazwaz7
- circulation
- the blood
- lungs
- ventilation

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree, something similar.
Maybe something about Osmosis/Active transport to begin with.
Original post by libbyjonesxx
my revision notes

You are a life saver! Thanks so much for sharing :smile:
Original post by Hazwaz7
- circulation
- the blood
- lungs
- ventilation

Posted from TSR Mobile

You know for biogas production, what could the 6 points be? I can only think of 4 :/

Latest