The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
The two threads have been merged after requests to the moderators to do so from both myself and Mrkingpenguin. If you want anything to be altered please message either myself or him regarding your issue. Thanks
I think the 6 marker will be on something unexpected? like B2
Reply 22
I can see a horrible one on artificial breathing/circulation aids. The dream 6 marks would be comparing kidney transplant and dialysis of course but that was the specimen paper...
Reply 23
Ideal one for me would be explaining the transport system in plants or in blood. The only problem with transport in plants though is that I'd struggle to come up with 6 separate points, because you can only really describe the xylem transporting water and mineral ions from the root to the stem, and the phloem transporting dissolved sugar from the leaves to other parts of the plant, like the storage organs. However, I have a feeling it will be on biogas generators because that's the topic I'm completely clueless on.
sorry if the suggestions are out, i made it quickly.

Unfortunatly after talking extensively to a mod there is no way to revert me to OP guys so I can't add edit the poll with other options or add a markscheme after the exam but oh well.
(edited 10 years ago)
I suppose the six mark question could be something to do with biogas generators because most people I know, including myself, find it hard to remember everything about them and make a lot of points. It could be about continuous vs. batch biogas generators and evaluating the use? (As I type this I know that I should probably revise this...) I would like them to have a table like they did in the C2 exam in January where you almost copy what's said, but I suppose they've realized now that was too easy for people...

I think Biology's the one I feel most confident about which is nice, and I've revised quite a lot so hopefully the exam will be ok... One week to go now! Good luck everyone!!
Original post by CD223
I can see a horrible one on artificial breathing/circulation aids. The dream 6 marks would be comparing kidney transplant and dialysis of course but that was the specimen paper...

What do we need to know about artificial breathing aids? that part confuses me so much :frown:

Would really appreciate it if you could explain, thanks :smile:
Reply 27
Original post by Dougieowner
I think Biology's the one I feel most confident about which is nice, and I've revised quite a lot so hopefully the exam will be ok...

Yeah, when it comes to triple/further additional, Biology is definitely the easiest. I'm finding Chemistry near-impossible. :/
the 6 marker i think will be on somethimg from part 3b - so something to do with intesive farming, global warming or biogas or something like that. I think its unlikely for it to be something like how the heart works, or how the lungs are adapted for gaseous exchange as its too predictable although, it would be nice :wink:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Lucas.
Yeah, when it comes to triple/further additional, Biology is definitely the easiest. I'm finding Chemistry near-impossible. :/

I just think that although Biology probably has more information overall it's easier to remember and understand. Chemistry C3 has quite a few points that I can never seem to remember, especially properties of elements in different groups, and then don't get me started on alcohols, carboxylic acids and esters, I just hate it... Which kind of contrasts with how I seem to enjoy C2. So hopefully I'll do well in C2 (I'm doing both) which will make up for it if I don't do as well in C3.

I probably find Physics the hardest just because I can't motivate myself to revise it because it bores me...
Reply 30
I am dreading this exam so much!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
Original post by Dougieowner
I just think that although Biology probably has more information overall it's easier to remember and understand. Chemistry C3 has quite a few points that I can never seem to remember, especially properties of elements in different groups, and then don't get me started on alcohols, carboxylic acids and esters, I just hate it... Which kind of contrasts with how I seem to enjoy C2. So hopefully I'll do well in C2 (I'm doing both) which will make up for it if I don't do as well in C3.

I probably find Physics the hardest just because I can't motivate myself to revise it because it bores me...

Yeah, you don't really have to apply what you learn in biology to anything extremely hard. Ahhh, the periodic table is easy - well, I think it is anyway - but titration calculations, the Haber Process, carboxylic acids, and all that **** just kills me. :frown: I did a mock for C2 in January, and it went terrible... Which is strange, because I performed the best at Chemistry in my Unit 1 exams (72 UMS, not great, but hey, it's the best I did), and now I'm finding Chemistry the hardest.

Physics is kind of hit and miss.. it's either extremely interesting or extremely boring.. unfortunately I can only motivate myself to go over the interesting stuff... :frown:
Original post by Captain Anonymous
the 6 marker i think will be on somethimg from part 3b - so something to do with intesive farming, global warming or biogas or something like that. I think its unlikely for it to be something like how the heart works, or how the lungs are adapted for gaseous exchange as its too predictable although, it would be nice :wink:

What do we need to know about intensive farming?? :frown:
Reply 33
Original post by KimSmith1234

you should know how intensive farming improves efficiency: shortens food chain, reduce movement, keep them in warm indoor environment

Also pros and cons about it eg cheaper cost, but cruel etc..
Reply 34
Original post by KimSmith1234

It prevents the animal from moving (as they are kept in small spaces), so less energy is lost on movement, but this is seen as controversial. Also, keeping the animals warm (so not keeping them outside during the night, or keeping them in warm sheds), so that they don't lose energy warming themselves up. We also need to keep the food chains short, energy is lost at each stage in the food chain.
Reply 35
I'm surprised how you guys find biology the easiest. For me chem and phys are simple: once you know the rules and equations every question can be solved using the same method. Also the questions are always the same: there isn't a second way how transformers work or how to do titration so all you have to do is drop down the planned script.

But for biology I struggle because every time they apply it to a new situation I just lose my track. I always trip up on the 3,4 markers, dunno why. I spent months(at least 1hr a day for a month) revising B2 yet I only got 89UMS
Reply 36
Original post by AndyChow
I'm surprised how you guys find biology the easiest. For me chem and phys are simple: once you know the rules and equations every question can be solved using the same method. Also the questions are always the same: there isn't a second way how transformers work or how to do titration so all you have to do is drop down the planned script.

But for biology I struggle because every time they apply it to a new situation I just lose my track. I always trip up on the 3,4 markers, dunno why. I spent months(at least 1hr a day for a month) revising B2 yet I only got 89UMS

All it is is regurgitating facts. I think Physics is the hardest, mainly because it's so bloody boring!

I think the thing with 3/4 markers, is that they try and throw you off balance by giving you loads of space to write, like 4 or 5 lines. In reality, you could probably mention the 3/4 points you need to in 2, maybe 3 lines, depending on the size of your writing. As long as you include key words, you can usually guarantee a mark or two in 3/4 mark questions.
I feel like the content for biology is pretty straightforward, but the questions in the exam always seem to be really awkward and weird I sometimes am unsure of what I'm expected to do! I really hope our exam paper will be a kind one!
Reply 38
Original post by Hazwaz7
I feel like the content for biology is pretty straightforward, but the questions in the exam always seem to be really awkward and weird I sometimes am unsure of what I'm expected to do! I really hope our exam paper will be a kind one!

Agree! I wish they just ask us straightforward things like ' What are the nutritional values of Mycoprotein' instead of showing us a graph and a table and ask us to suggest some reasons why blahblahblah...
Reply 39
I agree! But you can understand their point of view though. It's all very well remembering a textbook but if you can't apply it then you may as well have not learnt it in the first place...

Out of interest, how would you guys make 6 points about a question evaluating the use of artificial blood products and circulation aids?

Latest

Trending

Trending