The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine 2015 hopefuls!

Scroll to see replies

Just remember that if you are thinking 'I can do a year of that and transfer to Vet' that that isnt possible at any Uni - you would have to start the Vet course in year 1, and your A levels will still be taken into account. Equally graduate entry (after a Biovet degree) is difficult (again they will look at your A levels and if you arent in line for a First, forget it) AND you wont get funding for a 2nd degree.

If you go for Biovet make sure you do actually WANT to do the course - and aren't still hankering after being a Vet.
Reply 4601
Original post by sydneybridge
Just remember that if you are thinking 'I can do a year of that and transfer to Vet' that that isnt possible at any Uni - you would have to start the Vet course in year 1, and your A levels will still be taken into account. Equally graduate entry (after a Biovet degree) is difficult (again they will look at your A levels and if you arent in line for a First, forget it) AND you wont get funding for a 2nd degree.

If you go for Biovet make sure you do actually WANT to do the course - and aren't still hankering after being a Vet.

This isn't really entirely accurate, so I'm just going to build on this...
Lots of my friends did a year biovet, reapplied in first year (resat a levels if required and got in).
2 of my housemates did that, yes they had to do a year of biovet and start again in year one of vet but they still get their loans and it didn't particularly bother them.
Graduate entry the offer 2:1 they don't take into account a levels as long as you got above a C in Bio and Chem.
The funding part is true, it's expensive £9000 plus living per year.
However just to be encouraging, I've done my biovet, I'm in my 3rd year currently and I'm in line for a strong 2:1, I've got 3 interviews so far.
I haven't spoken in depth to all Unis but Liverpool are quite positive and encouraging about my application, I might not get in, but I've not just been straight up rejected.

So, it's not impossible, you can still get there whichever way works for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SJS11
Just received a 28th Jan interview for Liverpool (for anyone who still doesn't know, yes they send out batches so that everybody has equal time between receiving the email and having the interview). I won't actually be doing that day as they've scheduled it exactly in the middle of the vet parasitology exam (which I'm taking as a 3rd year biovet). So I'll be with you guys the week after.
Anybody else got an email today for this date?

Do you mind me asking how much WEX you have?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4603
Original post by GBhopetobevet

I think my form came out around the 50 something marks area (can't remember exactly but it was between 45 and 55) however, people with 20 weeks are getting interviews I'm seeing on the grapevine so don't panic. I think I saw somebody who had 17 with an interview on the fb group.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4604
Original post by GBhopetobevet

I just checked. My score was 56.6

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4605
Original post by wanttobevet
Was it by email?

Yeah it was by email :smile:
Original post by regsyl
Great! where are you applying from? if you don't mind me asking.

Im from India! :smile:

hmmm .. Yes, makes sense.. But this seems to be the only route to get into Vet Med program.. Unless ill have wait for next yr to reapply.. :confused:
For Liverpool, when I was sending back the interview reply slip I couldn't get it to send in Office Outlook. Would it be okay to save the form, attach it to a blank email and send it with the subject line 'Submitting Completed Form'? Did anyone else do this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SJS11

Graduate entry the offer 2:1 they don't take into account a levels as long as you got above a C in Bio and Chem.

This isnt true for all Unis - so be very careful about any assumptions you make.
Original post by Kavitha Elam
Unless ill have wait for next yr to reapply..

Recommended.

You will know what grades you've got - and if this is enough.

You have another year to do even more relevant work experience etc.

You will be more mature/grown-up/resourceful.

You will write a better PS second time around.
Reply 4611
Have Bristol sent out all their interview invites? Haven't heard anything back from them so wondering if I've just been put on a waiting list?
Original post by TillyM
Have Bristol sent out all their interview invites? Haven't heard anything back from them so wondering if I've just been put on a waiting list?

I only recieved acknowldgmnt! nothin else..:s-smilie:
Reply 4613

yeah same here, in November I think it was I received an email saying they were still considering my application but I've had nothing since then!
Original post by TillyM

I can't check now but yesterday there were still two days with slots available. The admissions staff are probably on holiday now so I doubt anything has come through since then.
Do Nottingham send out rejections soon? I've heard nothing but I live in N.Ireland so maybe the post is just taking longer...
Original post by Niamhmca
Do Nottingham send out rejections soon? I've heard nothing but I live in N.Ireland so maybe the post is just taking longer...

Last year I did the 'test'and wex form in early November and heard nothing more until Jan or feb when I was rejected. Looking like the same this year.

International students should have already received interview invites? :/ I had mine on the 9th and received my offer a few days later. Email them to check? :frown:
Recommended.

You will know what grades you've got - and if this is enough.

You have another year to do even more relevant work experience etc.

You will be more mature/grown-up/resourceful.

You will write a better PS second time around.

I simply can not agree with this enough!

4 rejections last year, and now I'm sitting looking forward to my two interview dates in January.
Original post by 13danielle
I simply can not agree with this enough!

4 rejections last year, and now I'm sitting looking forward to my two interview dates in January.

Exactly the same as me!! I go 4 rejections last year from Bristol (post interview) and Surrey, Nottingham and RVC (pre interview) with A*AA predictions.
This year I have interviews at Bristol and Surrey and waiting to hear from Notts and Liverpool. With AAA.

Remember actual grade (although maybe lower) are better than predicted grades.

I applied with near enough the same personal statement as well - just a few changes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending