The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine 2015 hopefuls!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by emmiehunters96
Don't give up so soon! There are lots other ways into Veterinary medicine- and I'm sure you'd make an amazing vet too if you were still up for it! I know it's probably hard and upsetting getting the rejections twice, but don't lose hope, because if it's really what you want to do, you will find a way I'm sure! Best of luck with everything in the future!!! :smile::smile::smile::smile:

Thank you for the kind gesture :smile: Just after a second rejection and having everything they asked for just to be turned down again is incredibly disheartening!
Original post by LadyEcliptic
Thank you for the kind gesture :smile: Just after a second rejection and having everything they asked for just to be turned down again is incredibly disheartening!

I had everything that was asked for and I only got offered a place after my third application. It's definitely worth applying again after feedback from universities as to why you didn't get offered a place!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6722
Original post by HannahHamish
Is anyone going to Notts for vet med? If so what accommodation are you in? I'm in Standord :smile:

I'm in Stanford too :smile:
Original post by harewo
I'm in Stanford too :smile:

Ah awesome! So glad I found someone else that is actually going to Nottingham! :smile:
Original post by Angry cucumber
Are you on the Facebook group?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I just found it, spoken to a couple of people on there which is good :smile: thank you! Notts sent me a really cute congrats card today, they're so personal I love it!
I've been working at a stables since I was 13
did 2 full weeks work experience(9-5) at a kennels
a week with an animal welfare officer
1 week at a cattle farm
afew odd days at a cattery
I have lambing organised
and I'm also hoping to work with elephants in Thailand in the summer
so work experience wise I have a lot but just very nervous about the grades in chem, bio and maths😁

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anybody know if the phone number Nottingham use to give out their offers with is a mobile number or a landline?
Original post by Hopefulvet97
Does anybody know if the phone number Nottingham use to give out their offers with is a mobile number or a landline?

Hang on... are all of Nottingham's offers/rejections given by phone?! Mine hasn't been on charge for a week!!
Hang on... are all of Nottingham's offers/rejections given by phone?! Mine hasn't been on charge for a week!!

In the past, this year and last, they phone with offers and write with rejections. But at this stage of the year it may be different due to the volume of applications they all need to try and process over the next 3 days. I suggest you .. Get your phone charged at this critical time.
(edited 9 years ago)
But do people who got offers from Nottingham remember if they used a Nottingham landline to call or a mobile number?
Original post by Hopefulvet97
But do people who got offers from Nottingham remember if they used a Nottingham landline to call or a mobile number?

For me it was just a mobile number so I had no idea it was them! x
Original post by wanttobevet
In the past, this year and last, they phone with offers and write with rejections. But at this stage of the year it may be different due to the volume of applications they all need to try and process over the next 3 days. I suggest you .. Get your phone charged at this critical time.

Haha will do! I had no idea they gave out phone calls- I just assumed that they'd use UCAS like the others! :smile: Thanks!!
Original post by wanttobevet

Also- how are you sure that they'll be coming in over the next three days?
Original post by nikki.louizze
For me it was just a mobile number so I had no idea it was them! x

Mine was a landline with the Nottingham area code (just Google it, it's like 0160or something) so when I missed the first I had my phone in my hand all day
Also- how are you sure that they'll be coming in over the next three days?

I posted the following 5 days ago, and whilst I am no expert, my view was not challenged or corrected at the time, So I think it's broadly correct. D

(Original post by LadyEcliptic)
Okay thanks everyone should hear back before he 31st March yeah?

"31/3 is the date uni's should try to respond by, but they don't have to. I think 7/5/15 is the date uni's must decide by. I think the clearest summary if key admissions dates us at ..
http://university.which.co.uk/advice...lication-dates."
I just assumed that they'd use UCAS like the others!

It isnt a case of 'if you dont pick up the phone we wont give you an offer'. All offers will go onto UCAS Track just like every other Uni.
Original post by sophiaweight
1 week at a cattle farm
I have lambing organised
so work experience wise I have a lot but just very nervous about the grades in chem, bio and maths

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi there :smile: You seem to be doing well on the work experience front, a good variety there, but just a little advice, you haven't mentioned any veterinary work experience yet. This is absolutely essential, so if you haven't yet (which I assume you probably have and just not mentioned it) then try and get some small animal vet work as a minimum but preferably large animal/ mixed vet experience too. Not only is it necessary to application but its also really important to make sure as far as possible that you understand what the job of a vet entails and can be as informed as possible in deciding that its for you! As for the grades, you know they're important, just work hard, which is easier said than done, but if you want it enough it will be easier, make sure you get all the help you can from teachers, plenty of rest and be organised. And don't take on too much, have free time too it'll make it easier for you to work at your best. Good luck and if you want any advice, please ask! :biggrin:
Original post by Georgie14
Hi there :smile: You seem to be doing well on the work experience front, a good variety there, etc. :biggrin:

george14.... Gives very good advice that you should follow. Also be aware that no amount of wex will substitute for not getting the grades... So don't put them at risk by an over emphasis on wex. As a vet you are required to apply science to vet med and as such the vet schools may forgive a gap in your wex, but will be far less tolerant of anything less than 3*A grades. Your wex looks excellent, so well done ... But get those grades. Good luck. D
Original post by sophiaweight
1 week at a cattle farm
I have lambing organised
so work experience wise I have a lot but just very nervous about the grades in chem, bio and maths������

Posted from TSR Mobile

Similar to what Georgie14 said, you non vet work experience seems pretty good but if you want to have a chance at getting in a lot of unis expect at least 4 weeks of clinical work experience in a vet practice. Within that ideally half he time for large vet and the other for small, and each week at a different practice. I think it also depends on your background, so if someone lived on a farm they'd be expected to have more weeks wep so more variety would be needed. Note that vet schools also like it if you do a day or two at an abbatoir. For grades, roughly the minimum you can be predicted and apply with is AAA unless there are extenuating circumstances. The more of them that are A*s the better. Good luck!
Has anyone else not heard from Surrey yet? I'm still waiting to hear from them following my interview in December and in the update email they said that we would know by the end of March :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending