The Student Room Group

Jaguar Land Rover Finance Graduate programme

I applied for the JLR Finance Graduate programme and got a call about 2 weeks ago inviting me to the assessment centre. Since then (Like i usually do), I have researched the internet to find some info and clues about what the day consist of and exactly what questions I will be asked as well as what they will expect of me. Strangely though I haven't gathered much.

Is there anyone who has been to JLR assessment centre and can shed some light on this for me. ie what questions they asked etc. I Know there here will be role play, structured interview and group activity but what does it entail?
I really want this job so I am trying to be as prepared as possible.

Also, is there anyone else who will be attending the finance assessment centre in March too?

Thank you
Reply 1
Can't of searched that hard, I've posted info on the JLR assessment centre on this very forum! :tongue:

I didn't sit that one specifically, but I imagine they are similar across different areas of the business. Expect an interview, a group exercise and a role play. The interview is as you would expect, competency questions, a bit of knowledge about the company, why JLR etc. Given yours is finance, expect to be questioned about any professional qualification you might be expected to take on (CIMA?). The group exercise is standard, ours involved each backing a position on a new site development, constructing a decent argument for why the group should follow our individual prescribed plan of action and having the common sense to know where to give ground to better ideas and where to stand firm (remember it is about assessing teamwork, the outcome doesn't really matter). The role play is a bit different, not quite so 'normal'. Ours involved discussing sales targets with the manager of a dealership (not for a sales based role, so yours will likely be the same or similar). The manager is played by an assessor and it's all quite formal (go in and shake hands etc). Bit surreal, but it's quite fun once you get in to it. Mainly seemed to be about assessing your ability to communicate professionally, negotiate (you were given targets to meet), work with numbers (fair bit of mental math) and then write up a brief report afterwards (20 mins). That's about it! Good luck.
Original post by M1011
Can't of searched that hard, I've posted info on the JLR assessment centre on this very forum! :tongue:

I didn't sit that one specifically, but I imagine they are similar across different areas of the business. Expect an interview, a group exercise and a role play. The interview is as you would expect, competency questions, a bit of knowledge about the company, why JLR etc. Given yours is finance, expect to be questioned about any professional qualification you might be expected to take on (CIMA?). The group exercise is standard, ours involved each backing a position on a new site development, constructing a decent argument for why the group should follow our individual prescribed plan of action and having the common sense to know where to give ground to better ideas and where to stand firm (remember it is about assessing teamwork, the outcome doesn't really matter). The role play is a bit different, not quite so 'normal'. Ours involved discussing sales targets with the manager of a dealership (not for a sales based role, so yours will likely be the same or similar). The manager is played by an assessor and it's all quite formal (go in and shake hands etc). Bit surreal, but it's quite fun once you get in to it. Mainly seemed to be about assessing your ability to communicate professionally, negotiate (you were given targets to meet), work with numbers (fair bit of mental math) and then write up a brief report afterwards (20 mins). That's about it! Good luck.

Lol i thought I searched this site inside out but clearly not.
Anyways that is very very helpful! But one question.... the report you had to write (in relation to roleplay), was it a report based on the outcome of the meeting or what?
And what role did u apply for and have they gotten back to you... if so how long after the assessment day did they take to get back to you? (ok i guess thats more than 1 question :tongue:)
Reply 3
Original post by SweeterThanSugar
Lol i thought I searched this site inside out but clearly not.
Anyways that is very very helpful! But one question.... the report you had to write (in relation to roleplay), was it a report based on the outcome of the meeting or what?
And what role did u apply for and have they gotten back to you... if so how long after the assessment day did they take to get back to you? (ok i guess thats more than 1 question :tongue:)

Yes the report was based on the outcome of the meeting, basically writing up what had been agreed as a summary to be hypothetically sent to your 'manager'. Mainly getting the numbers down really, as there are multiple models, prices and numbers that had to be agreed, and then tallying them up to show you met your targets. By the way, you don't need any in depth knowledge about the models or anything to do this, all info is provided, although knowing what JLR produce may be important for the interview (I wasn't asked, but I guess it varies)!

I applied to the Marketing, Sales and Service area initially, and this was for last years intake (so I sat in early 2012 for a Sep-12 start). As you may have come across, initially you apply to quite a generic area of the business with JLR, and not really to a specific role, with MSS basically constituting the majority of business areas. Upon discussion prior to the assessment centre, I was more specifically being assessed for forecasting and similar areas, based on prior experience. The called up the next day to offer a position, but even then they don't offer a concrete role. It's quite weird actually, they send you a rather large contract pack to sign with the role still to be determined at a later date 'subject to business requirements'. So basically you should hear if you get the role or not pretty quickly, and once you get it you do get a contract so you won't need to worry about losing it, but don't necessarily expect a specific role right away (although that may differ between business functions).
Original post by M1011
Yes the report was based on the outcome of the meeting, basically writing up what had been agreed as a summary to be hypothetically sent to your 'manager'. Mainly getting the numbers down really, as there are multiple models, prices and numbers that had to be agreed, and then tallying them up to show you met your targets. By the way, you don't need any in depth knowledge about the models or anything to do this, all info is provided, although knowing what JLR produce may be important for the interview (I wasn't asked, but I guess it varies)!

I applied to the Marketing, Sales and Service area initially, and this was for last years intake (so I sat in early 2012 for a Sep-12 start). As you may have come across, initially you apply to quite a generic area of the business with JLR, and not really to a specific role, with MSS basically constituting the majority of business areas. Upon discussion prior to the assessment centre, I was more specifically being assessed for forecasting and similar areas, based on prior experience. The called up the next day to offer a position, but even then they don't offer a concrete role. It's quite weird actually, they send you a rather large contract pack to sign with the role still to be determined at a later date 'subject to business requirements'. So basically you should hear if you get the role or not pretty quickly, and once you get it you do get a contract so you won't need to worry about losing it, but don't necessarily expect a specific role right away (although that may differ between business functions).

That is some great info there. Thanks a lot. fingers crossed I hope I get an offer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending