The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Changing courses at Imperial

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hey, anyone has an idea on what are the chances of changing from Biomedical Engineering to Mechanical Engineering?
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
I want to change from biochemistry to molecular bioengineering but the requirements jump from AAA to A*AA and I haven't been predicted A* in maths which I need. Should I just contact Imperial if I receive an offer to see if I can switch.
Original post by prabhjoat5ingh
I want to change from biochemistry to molecular bioengineering but the requirements jump from AAA to A*AA and I haven't been predicted A* in maths which I need. Should I just contact Imperial if I receive an offer to see if I can switch.

Hi what did you do and what was the outcome? I've been offered AAA for chemistry but want to switch to chemical engineering.
Original post by AJA1994
Hi what did you do and what was the outcome? I've been offered AAA for chemistry but want to switch to chemical engineering.

I switched from Mechanical Engineering to Physics with theoretical physics in Jan (keep in mind that it was before UCAS deadline and way before I received my offer).

I simply e-mailed the engineering department first telling them that I wanted to switch to physics and why and they helped transfer my case to the Physics department.

I think you should message them and see what happens. Try to give a convincing reason of why you want to do it, especially since you won't have a chance to submit a new personal statement.

I think they will probably allow it if you are a satisfactory candidate, but dont have super super high hopes that it will work out since it is pretty late in the admissions process.
Original post by YOLOforever
I switched from Mechanical Engineering to Physics with theoretical physics in Jan (keep in mind that it was before UCAS deadline and way before I received my offer).

I simply e-mailed the engineering department first telling them that I wanted to switch to physics and why and they helped transfer my case to the Physics department.

I think you should message them and see what happens. Try to give a convincing reason of why you want to do it, especially since you won't have a chance to submit a new personal statement.

I think they will probably allow it if you are a satisfactory candidate, but dont have super super high hopes that it will work out since it is pretty late in the admissions process.

Hey thanks for the super fast response.

I was worried as ChemE is really competitive and most offers are A*A*A they won't accept it. I was hoping to overachieve on results day with A*AA and then try to switch by calling them up. I'm only resitting math and biology so the maximum I can achieve is A*AA. I'm a mature student so can't resit all to try get 3A*
Original post by DayFlower
Hey, does anyone know how easy it is to switch from chemistry to physics or physics with theoretical physics? It's not a definite thing but I've always been so torn between the two subjects, if I go and start chemistry and decide I should have picked physics, would it be very difficult to switch within the first week or so? My current offer is A*AA for chem, which I am expecting to get as long as my work remains at the same level. Like I said, it's not a definite decision at all yet (assuming I do get the grades to get in), but recent discussions with teachers have got me thinking.
Much appreciated :smile:

I know you posted this a couple of years ago now, but which course did you end up doing in the end? I am in a similar situation - I am torn between chemistry and physics. Imperial have given me an offer for physics of A*A*A but how difficult would it be to change to chemistry with molecular physics?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by AJA1994
Hey thanks for the super fast response.

I was worried as ChemE is really competitive and most offers are A*A*A they won't accept it. I was hoping to overachieve on results day with A*AA and then try to switch by calling them up. I'm only resitting math and biology so the maximum I can achieve is A*AA. I'm a mature student so can't resit all to try get 3A*

Hi, what did Imperial say about switching from chemistry to chem eng? I've currently got an offer for chem eng at A*A*AA but want to switch to chemistry. Please get back to me, thanks
Original post by Shazeen14
Hi, what did Imperial say about switching from chemistry to chem eng? I've currently got an offer for chem eng at A*A*AA but want to switch to chemistry. Please get back to me, thanks

I didn't ask. Didn't think I'd have a shot. However I have just seen imperial in clearing for chemE so assuming lots of people missed grades.
Here: http://search.ucas.com/search/providers?CountryCode=&RegionCode=103&Lat=&Lng=&Feather=&Vac=1&AvailableIn=2017&Query=Engineering&ProviderQuery=&AcpId=&Location=London&IsFeatherProcessed=false&SubjectCode=
Are you sure Imperial is in Clearing? It looks like you ticked the "2017" box not the "clearing 2017" box for your search. Your link simply shows all Engineering courses in London
Original post by AJA1994
I didn't ask. Didn't think I'd have a shot. However I have just seen imperial in clearing for chemE so assuming lots of people missed grades.
Here: http://search.ucas.com/search/providers?CountryCode=&RegionCode=103&Lat=&Lng=&Feather=&Vac=1&AvailableIn=2017&Query=Engineering&ProviderQuery=&AcpId=&Location=London&IsFeatherProcessed=false&SubjectCode=
Original post by Deltahedron
Are you sure Imperial is in Clearing? It looks like you ticked the "2017" box not the "clearing 2017" box for your search. Your link simply shows all Engineering courses in London

Apologies, link as sent by a friend and I didn't read it properly.

With the way a levels were this year I wouldn't be surprised if they were tbh lol
Original post by AJA1994

Are you still up for switching? If I call them up on results day and places are full, would you still want to switch?
Are you still up for switching? If I call them up on results day and places are full, would you still want to switch?

Not sure if you've seen but posted on your wall bro. I wasn't blanking you.

you should be fine so long as they have places - your application will go to the chem admissions officer for review
Reply 33
Original post by YOLOforever

It's so nice for you to share your experience of transferring between courses. How long did it take for Imperial to reply to your email? Is it better to email them or ring them?
Reply 34
Any idea if get into chemistry on my predictions can i then change to chem eng if my grades go up in finals?
Original post by Hiny
Any idea if get into chemistry on my predictions can i then change to chem eng if my grades go up in finals?

Hey!
So I got my course changed from Medical Biosciences to Bioengineering a few weeks ago and, I didn't exactly get what I wanted because most courses are usually full by now. (I asked to get my course changed to Biomedical Engineering but, instead got it changed to Molecular Bioengineering because that course had space).

So, your best chance for a course change would be to contact Imperial right now. Call the chemical engineering department up because they'd know best. If they don't currently have space on the course (chemical engineering is really competitive), then further ask as to whether a switch would be possible on results day.

Good Luck!
Reply 36
Yes i hv emailed awaiting a reply which pblg take ages......thanks for that good you got your course changed best of luck 😀(
Original post by AliMurtaza770
Hey!
So I got my course changed from Medical Biosciences to Bioengineering a few weeks ago and, I didn't exactly get what I wanted because most courses are usually full by now. (I asked to get my course changed to Biomedical Engineering but, instead got it changed to Molecular Bioengineering because that course had space).

So, your best chance for a course change would be to contact Imperial right now. Call the chemical engineering department up because they'd know best. If they don't currently have space on the course (chemical engineering is really competitive), then further ask as to whether a switch would be possible on results day.

Good Luck!
Has anyone switched from Chemistry (with molecular physics) to Materials science. I already have the offer of A*AA but am thinking of switching. Is it better to switch after I actually get in after results day?
Original post by AliMurtaza770
Hey!

Good Luck!

Was this after results day? And did you have to write another personal statement?
Original post by rand0m182
Has anyone switched from Chemistry (with molecular physics) to Materials science. I already have the offer of A*AA but am thinking of switching. Is it better to switch after I actually get in after results day?

Yh same here I might switch from chem with molecular physics to materials I also have an A*AA offer... R u gna email them?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending