The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
J.S.
From my experience, I thought the library was style over substance. Soooo many of the more recent publications were not there-and when they did get ahold of them, it was too damn late, and I had to go down to the Brit. Library for them. Overall, I was very disappointed with the LSE lib. as well as so many of my closest buds. Although, would have been great had it been 24 hour at the time, esp. as I did well over 90% of my coursework after midnight!!!

Even though I couldn't get ahold of a good deal of want I was looking for, I loved the surroundings and spent a hell of a lot of time there...so I've pleasant memories of the place; yet, there are quite a few improvements in order!

Presumably you haven't used the refurbished library building which is absolutely stunning. Even Judge Jules, the DJ, was raving, in an article a few weeks ago, about how good it is compared to what he remembers as a student. The only problem is noise: but the Norman Foster design makes it incredibly easy to find books...
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 21
W.A.S Hewins
I'm interested in all the data people have put in. Didn't realise the extent to which the 24/7 thing had already started. It's not a simple matter: twenty four hour opening can cost a lot of money, especially if you have a library with 4.5 million items, like LSE. It also changes the whole ambience of an institution, and may only be the thin end of the wedge (ie other facilities, even classes could be provided at unconventional times)...

I agree. There was much thought about whether to open for 24 Hrs or to upgrade the facilities, and it was decided that the former was preferrable.

Latest

Trending

Trending