The Student Room Group

Is this the real reason people go to uni?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jimbo1234
When did they graduate and how many of them got to where they are due to daddy get them the job? :rolleyes:
I say this as I know many people with Law degrees who are unemployed and teaching is just as badly saturated with too many graduates thinking it is an easy career path to fall into.

I don't believe 'daddy' got any of their jobs. I'm not the sort of person who's friends have rich daddies- sadly.
I believe the main reason why the law people got their training contracts was first class hon's in their BA's...
Original post by rageagainstessays
I don't believe 'daddy' got any of their jobs. I'm not the sort of person who's friends have rich daddies- sadly.
I believe the main reason why the law people got their training contracts was first class hon's in their BA's...

Which is why I say that I am now 100% certain that daddy/friends got them in.
I know people with 1st class masters in Law who couldn't get into the College of Law :redface: See why I'm really dubious about it?
Reply 22
Original post by Iron Lady
If you don't mind me asking, which course and university?

Sports Biomechanics , Sunderland.
Reply 23
Original post by blank_smile
What employers, what job does that exactly land though? That job could of been landed without the need for a degree.

Philosophy can provide a good foundation for further training/study to become a psychotherapist, socitor/barrister or computer scientist. All of these have some relevance to philosophy (logic for computer science, for example, and analytical skills for psychotherapy).

History is of particular relevance to the Heritage Sector. Many of the jobs in the Heritage Sector may require postgraduate study, but it remains that these aren't jobs a person without a degree can get.

Geography, and some other social sciences, are of particular relevance to town planning, surveying, and those sorts of professions (though they will need to take a professional masters degree).

In terms of graduate jobs, the usual graduate entry schemes across the public, private and voluntary sectors as well as plenty of other roles where a degree (or extensive work experience) is a requirement.

For example, I got an interview for Cancer Research for a job which required "a degree or substantial work experience". I didn't have the substantial work experience, so guess what got me the job?

It remains that at many Russell and 1994 Group universities up to 80% of humanities graduates find a "graduate" job.

However, I also recognise that we are saturated with graduates, especially humanities graduates, relative to the jobs available. But why shouldn't studying something for interest, and if it does lead to something else at a later date all the better? Just because a person's first role is in admin, it does not mean the they can enter a role later and their undergraduate degree acted as a platform.

Original post by midnightice
Nobody wants an employee who's sceptical about their own sense of reality. They want someone who will do their job and get on with it. Philosophical contemplation belongs to your own spare time, not the workplace.

I don't think my boss would appreciate a lecture from me about the noumenal world and how our reality is merely a projection from nothingness... That wouldn't go down too well.

Why must a philosophy graduate by sceptical about their own sense of reality?

I think a person will have the common sense to realise that, when in a work environment, they should remain focused on their current role and duties.
Original post by midnightice
True. Although, a lot of people will hate you haha!

I've got the option of choosing between Philosophy and Economics for my degree- got offers for both :smile: Even got one for PPE, just waiting for someone to take a hit at PPE.
Reply 25
From what I have seen, those who study HR, politics, sociology, psychology, neuroscience,philosophy, forensic science etc. Tend to study for the own personal fulfillment. Because in reality there are no jobs, for these courses. and if there ARE the jobmarket is so tiny that only the top notch people get them.

Whereas courses like, dental technology, nursing, medicine, accounting, teaching, special education, computer science, are job specific, so grads know where they are going with them in life.

I feel like that and I know its true. I personally put in a application for psychology and biology,bcos I like the subjects, but LIKING them isnt enough I guess, but I am gonna leave it, and do a proper course, cos in relality the above courses dont get YOU jobs!

What do you guys think about this? IS it so?

Nice thread. In my case yes this is exactly what has happened to me. I am a musician and studied at LIPA. I did the diploma but I knew I could get nothing out of it since I had no money or relevant contacts. It was a really competitive industry.

Now I'm studying Accounting and still think it was a better choice at the end of the day.
Reply 26
I think one must understand: uni is great but don't forget to become the best guy in your subject. The competition will drop considerably. :smile:
Which is why I say that I am now 100% certain that daddy/friends got them in.
I know people with 1st class masters in Law who couldn't get into the College of Law :redface: See why I'm really dubious about it?

Actually, one of them used to live round the corner from me, and I'm almost a 100% sure their dad was a builder as he used to park his builder's van on their drive. The other was my cousin's friend- her mum worked in Asda.

Also, before you ask about their grandparents/uncles/aunts/parents friends- I can almost be 100% sure that none of them were supreme court justices, or were referred to as the Rt Hon. Lord/Lady Justice_____________
So I don't think there's any great legal connection there, do you?
(edited 11 years ago)
I'm going to do French and German at uni, and then probably go onto translation of some sort, possibly scientific or something to do with law... A lot of jobs I've seen advertised want you to be native or have a degree for languages. Plus, I doubt I could teach myself French and German to the standard I will be when I leave uni.
Actually, one of them used to live round the corner from me, and I'm almost a 100% sure their dad was a builder as he used to park his builder's van on their drive. The other was my cousin's friend- her mum worked in Asda.

Also, before you ask about their grandparents/uncles/aunts/parents friends- I can almost be 100% sure that none of them were supreme court justices, or were referred to as the Rt Hon. Lord/Lady Justice_____________
So I don't think there's any great legal connection there, do you?

:facepalm:
To think you need a Lord/Lady to get you a quick pass into the College of Law sums this conversation up very well.
:facepalm:
To think you need a Lord/Lady to get you a quick pass into the College of Law sums this conversation up very well.

Oh what... because a local solicitor can ask can they? The guy who helps you when you move house. He can get you admission?? Can he?... Well, then...

You are the one that is inferring that the people I know have not got their jobs because of their own merit, when you know nothing about me or the people I know?

I think you just got beat by one of those well constructed 'Philosophical' arguments.
Oops.
Oh what... because a local solicitor can ask can they? The guy who helps you when you move house. He can get you admission?? Can he?... Well, then...

You are the one that is inferring that the people I know have not got their jobs because of their own merit, when you know nothing about me or the people I know?

I think you just got beat by one of those well constructed 'Philosophical' arguments.
Oops.

Keeping digging, you're almost at Australia!
You could have backed down with you humility intact, but no, you just had to carry on. Again, to mention local solicitors shows how you clearly have no idea about something called networking etc.
Keeping digging, you're almost at Australia!
You could have backed down with you humility intact, but no, you just had to carry on. Again, to mention local solicitors shows how you clearly have no idea about something called networking etc.

Really?
There's 'networking' when you are in the network, and there is networking outside the network. Do you not think there is a class system in legal representation.
For example, I want to be a lawyer and work at a Law firm in London (magic circle) I asked the local solicitor who does work in the same area of the law if he knew anyone who worked there or at a firm like it, and he said no, then laughed.
Reply 33
What employers, what job does that exactly land though? That job could of been landed without the need for a degree.

A lot of employers only look for graduates, despite the fact that they're not necessarily looking for graduates in any particular field, so a lot of these courses are really useful in that regard.
Reply 34
Original post by ionaboner
Doing an applied degree such as nursing and medicine leads you into one career. Careers in arts/social sciences often are done for enjoyment for the person and the value of a degree itself. People who study sociology could go into any number of jobs but could a medical grad?

Medical grad could get into many jobs aswell and probably far more appealing wages along with it.
I've got the option of choosing between Philosophy and Economics for my degree- got offers for both :smile: Even got one for PPE, just waiting for someone to take a hit at PPE.

PPE is brilliant. I was going to apply for this degree and would still happily do so. Instead I will go to Bath to do Business Administration. I may not enjoy this degree as much as I would doing PPE, but the job prospects are incredible - some real potential to get a high salary.
Reply 36
I went with biochem because I wanted to know more about genes, proteins, immunology etc... literally...didn't care for the job market, will progress onto medicine most likely after graduation for the money and further complement biochem.
From what I have seen, those who study HR, politics, sociology, psychology, neuroscience,philosophy, forensic science etc. Tend to study for the own personal fulfillment. Because in reality there are no jobs, for these courses. and if there ARE the jobmarket is so tiny that only the top notch people get them.

Whereas courses like, dental technology, nursing, medicine, accounting, teaching, special education, computer science, are job specific, so grads know where they are going with them in life.

I feel like that and I know its true. I personally put in a application for psychology and biology,bcos I like the subjects, but LIKING them isnt enough I guess, but I am gonna leave it, and do a proper course, cos in relality the above courses dont get YOU jobs!

What do you guys think about this? IS it so?

I find it kind of funny that psychology is regarded to be an "easy" study in the UK with little prospects. In Germany, psychology and neuroscience are some of the hardest subjects to get admission to and they are also highly regarded. (At least you shouldnt have a B if you want any realistic chance at any uni)

On the other hand, its probably more difficult to get a job with philosophy and history than in the UK because emplyers look a lot more at what you have studied and not where.
Reply 38
I went with Economics because I'm equally interested in natural sciences, human sciences and languages and literature with a particular interest in maths - Economics seemed to offer the best of all worlds: Maths, a scientific approach, use of analytical and language skills, use of logic, something related to the real world...

Also, job market wise all I considered was that Economics would enable me to work internationally...
Reply 39
Birmingham University Philosophy Department Graduate destinations:

Recrutiment constulant

Estate Agent

Lieutietenant

Accountant

Hydrographic Survyeor

English Teacher

Maths teacher

researcher

head teacher

Barrister

Senior Solicitor

Law conversion course

Casting Agent

Writer

Film Maker

Radio presenter and Producer

Freelance Journalist

Publicist

I dout all the grads will get them jobs, Only a tiny minority might with*luck*
And most those jobs you listed need further education masters and experience rs, etc..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending