The Student Room Group

Is biology a good degree?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by iamgreatness
hull is pretty **** tho i dont wana go to the worst uni

I dislike Hull the place but I don't think University of Hull is that bad? If you don't want to go to the worst uni then you should either not look at doing Biology or get more than a D in your other subjects!
Reply 41
Original post by NinjaNerdfighter
I dislike Hull the place but I don't think University of Hull is that bad? If you don't want to go to the worst uni then you should either not look at doing Biology or get more than a D in your other subjects!

but if i wana study biology and i get a b in biology who cares if i do **** in other subjects ive proved im good at biology man! xx
Reply 42
ting is yh im on a B in biology its the only subject im good at im failing maths nd chemistry so i duno i wodnt say i have a passion its alright can i get into a crap uni with a B in biology and 2 bad grades in maths and chemsitry say at C's or D's??

I would not advise Biology if you suck at chemistry:eek: Unless you like the boring ecology side of things?
but if i wana study biology and i get a b in biology who cares if i do **** in other subjects ive proved im good at biology man! xx

Unfortunately the universities do not view it this way.
Reply 44
Original post by lolface32
I would not advise Biology if you suck at chemistry:eek: Unless you like the boring ecology side of things?

i got a high c at AS but i hate my teacher this year and dont seem to be doing good
Reply 45
Original post by NinjaNerdfighter
Unfortunately the universities do not view it this way.

yh well ill have a word with them
Original post by Mockery
It's a science, so straight away you're doing something right that will give you the edge over most other poor sods.

I'll give you a more definitative answer once I graduate this summer :wink:

thats the sort of thinking that has made degrees worthless

Biology is on the level of english literature

It doesnt matter if its a science, a company is not gonna say "O, go right ahead good SIR" just because you have a science degree

What matters is the usefulness of that degree to industry, nothing else

Or the other route, you could study it for "enrichment" but ask your self, would the poor ethopian kid who picks up plastic from toxic dumps choose to study the "enrichment " subject or would he choose something that would guarantee him a job and security for the rest of his life?

By "enrichment" i refer to degrees whose only value is enrichment, while philosophy degrees have "enrichment in them, engineering and medicine degrees have much more "enrichment" , if you dont believe me, just ask wittgeinstein why he told his student to **** OFF out of his philosophy classes, cause even he though it was a bunch of BS,
Reply 47
Original post by Dukeofwembley
thats the sort of thinking that has made degrees worthless

Biology is on the level of english literature

It doesnt matter if its a science, a company is not gonna say "O, go right ahead good SIR" just because you have a science degree

What matters is the usefulness of that degree to industry, nothing else

Or the other route, you could study it for "enrichment" but ask your self, would the poor ethopian kid who picks up plastic from toxic dumps choose to study the "enrichment " subject or would he choose something that would guarantee him a job and security for the rest of his life?

By "enrichment" i refer to degrees whose only value is enrichment, while philosophy degrees have "enrichment in them, engineering and medicine degrees have much more "enrichment" , if you dont believe me, just ask wittgeinstein why he told his student to **** OFF out of his philosophy classes, cause even he though it was a bunch of BS,

biology is a good degree tho isnt it
biology is a good degree tho isnt it

good as in it fights against evil?(ie u havent defined good!!- its politician speak)

if you mean unemployment wise, just look at the unemployment rate(ie unistats for different unis)

The figures speak for themselves
Reply 49
Original post by Mockery
My apologies but I didn't understand a word of that reply, would you mind re-wording it?

I would suggest getting out of the habbit of shortening your words as such. If you was to write an essay and a sentence like that cropped up I know a fair few lecturers who would have your head on a pike.

Two spelling/grammatical errors there.

His/her grammar is poor but you are surely exaggerating; it's not that difficult to make out the meaning of what he/she is trying to say.
Reply 50
Original post by Ashnard
Two spelling/grammatical errors there.

His/her grammar is poor but you are surely exaggerating; it's not that difficult to make out the meaning of what he/she is trying to say.

thnx bro :smile:
Reply 51
is biology considered to be a female dominated subject
Reply 52
is biology considered to be a female dominated subject

No worries. Year groups at university are about 50:50 male to female. There is certainly no shortage of women taking up postgraduate work, either.

As for your general question, I think biology degrees are very useful to have. They will open up a number of avenues. They are not generally as well respected as physics/chemistry/maths degress though, simply because the general public perceives biology to be less technical than the other three subjects that I mentioned.
Original post by Mockery
My apologies but I didn't understand a word of that reply, would you mind re-wording it?

I would suggest getting out of the habbit of shortening your words as such. If you was to write an essay and a sentence like that cropped up I know a fair few lecturers who would have your head on a pike.

If you were* to write an essay . . .

Smart arse :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending