The Student Room Group

A2 Results Day

Hi all, so I'm in a massive dilemma.

Basically I've found out my vacation is overlapping with results day on the 15th of August. I booked it assuming it was the same ay every year, and have already paid £250 in installments.

My school won't let me authourise anyone to go pick up my results either, so essentially I'm wondering if there was a way to find out if I'm able to see whether I've fulfilled my grades requirements or not? Or subsequently having to cancel my holiday.

Thanks in advance,

Croydon'Stepper
Reply 1
couldn't you just pick them up after your holiday? A friend was on holiday during his results day last year and our head of sixth form rang to tell him what he got, try that?
Do you have a university offer? Cause being there would be really helpful if you needed to go into clearing
Original post by Acruzen
couldn't you just pick them up after your holiday? A friend was on holiday during his results day last year and our head of sixth form rang to tell him what he got, try that?

I could, but like Ninja said, it would be much more helpful if I had them asap, plus my school are really.. I'm not sure of the word, but in short they're complete mugs.

@ninjanerdfighter: yeah, I got 5 offers, yet to be firmed/insured. That's what I was thinking, I don't mind not being there for clearing because I'll happily pay to do it from Hungary - its just that I don't know how to know if I've been accepted into my unis if I'm unable to have them on the day.
Reply 4
Can't you just phone/ email?
Original post by LadyHaha
Can't you just phone/ email?

Ill definitely have a word with them, but they sent an email around a couple days ago saying we had to be in if we wanted them that day so I doubt they'll do that.
Reply 6
You will be able to check on Track whether your unis have accepted you or not. However this doesn't always update straight away so you could be waiting a while, and Track will not show your grades.

If you do need to use Clearing you will need to know your results. "I don't know, but it was lower than my offer" will not be sufficient. You'll also have to phone the unis you're interested in which could be expensive.

Sent from my GT-S5363
Reply 7
Original post by Croydon'Stepper
Ill definitely have a word with them, but they sent an email around a couple days ago saying we had to be in if we wanted them that day so I doubt they'll do that.

If your school is not severely retarded they will let you know via phone/e-mail. Makes no sense to teach someone for 2 years then potentially make it all pointless because they mistakenly booked a holiday on results day.
Reply 8
Last year, i had friends whose track had updated at like 6am etc saying they have met their requirements and been expected. Maybe just wait for the email?
Reply 9
Original post by Idle
If your school is not severely retarded they will let you know via phone/e-mail. Makes no sense to teach someone for 2 years then potentially make it all pointless because they mistakenly booked a holiday on results day.

Things can be misheard over the phone - especially if you're in another country and the connection is bad. It would be awful for someone to hear that they got an A but it's actually an E. Many schools will not give out results over the phone because of this.

And emailing takes time and can be mistyped, or if it's scanned then that might have huge data costs for downloading in another country.

So actually I would argue that the school would be "severely retarded" to use either of those methods.

Most schools seem to allow somebody else to collect the results if permission is given beforehand.
Reply 10
Original post by Juno
Things can be misheard over the phone - especially if you're in another country and the connection is bad. It would be awful for someone to hear that they got an A but it's actually an E. Many schools will not give out results over the phone because of this.

And emailing takes time and can be mistyped, or if it's scanned then that might have huge data costs for downloading in another country.

So actually I would argue that the school would be "severely retarded" to use either of those methods.

Most schools seem to allow somebody else to collect the results if permission is given beforehand.

I think that is clutching at straws a bit. Anything can be mistyped, you check the best you can, far bigger things have been sent via e-mail in the world. And a scan will be a couple of mb at most? An internet cafe or hotel computer charge a few £ an hour.

If they teach someone for 2 years and then can't be bothered to e-mail a few people their results to have a chance of getting into uni through clearing because "it takes time" then that is pretty lol worthy.
Reply 11
Original post by Idle
I think that is clutching at straws a bit. Anything can be mistyped, you check the best you can, far bigger things have been sent via e-mail in the world. And a scan will be a couple of mb at most? An internet cafe or hotel computer charge a few £ an hour.

If they teach someone for 2 years and then can't be bothered to e-mail a few people their results to have a chance of getting into uni through clearing because "it takes time" then that is pretty lol worthy.

Well, many schools don't email or phone

Sent from my GT-S5363

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending