The Student Room Group

Career in Fashion

I am currently taking my As levels:

Textiles

Photography

English Lit

English Lang

I really want to go into a career to do with fashion (journalism). I have recently been thinking about becoming a 'buyer' in retail. I am not sure where i should take my studies after Alevel. I was thinking about doing an Art foundation. As i am not keen on Uni? any ideas please help?

thanks
Reply 1
Foundation Studies or a Foundation Diploma in Art and Design is recommended. Or you can do a National Diploma focusing on Fashion. I did Foundation Studies in Art and Design and we got to try everything from blacksmithing to ceramics to photo developing, and apply those techniques to our chosen field (mine was fashion). There are also written essays which are sort of like big articles on practitioners that interest us, which would be good for you to build up a journalism portfolio. I would recommend a Foundation because then you'll have hands on, primary experience of the art you will be writing about, which I think places like LCF Journalism would like to see. It is also taught very similarly to a uni course so you might love that way of working and change your mind about going to uni. Mine definitely prepared me for uni! I think if I'd have gone straight after A Level I wouldn't have settled in so easily, as in Foundation there are no set classes/timetables, and you are forced to work independantly. Hope this input helps and good luck in whatever you choose to do!
Reply 2
Thank you for your help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending