The Student Room Group

Good enough for US Uni

... realize a lot of people probably start threads like this...yolo.
Would really like to go to Yale...
At the moment I'm studying French, Spanish, English Lang, History and German at AS.
My GCSES are:
5As, 5A*s, 1B (maths )
Im half French, do some extra curricular not like 6 a week, but I have a job.
I know it also depends on SATS and what I get in AS aswell, but just based on my GCSES, is this too low?
Also, hypothetically, if I can take the SAT in October, is May-October revision time enough for the SAT and 2 subject tests?
Would really like some advice please! Also please anyone who is currently a brit studying at Yale or wherever feel free to post! :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Your GCSEs are probably fine, because they won't pay too much attention to them. You really need great ASs and SATs. If your ASs are better than your GCSEs, that will show academic improvement which will be a big help to your application.

Yes, May-October is enough time to revise - SATs aren't as hard as A Levels.

What I would say is: by all means apply to Yale - it's a great uni, and depending on your results, you definitely have a shot at getting in. HOWEVER, I would strongly encourage you to apply to some other US unis as well. There are dozens of unis in America where you will have as good if not a better experience as you would at Yale, and where you will get a similar quality of teaching, but which are much easier to get into. Yale's admissions are hard simply because it's so famous, and not because it is especially good. Apply to some other schools too. Yale is not the be all and end all, I promise!

Check out Uni in the USA for great info, and use their forum if you have detailed questions about admissions etc
Reply 2
Bear in mind, Yale is one of those schools where basically everyone who applies has nearly perfect grades (speaking American: mostly As, maybe with juuuust a few Bs here and there; bear in mind we don't really have A*) and test scores. You want as many 5s on as many APs as possible. I'd recommend at taking (and acing) at least 6 APs, at that's at the tip of the low end. 8+ would look good. SATs, you want 2300s, higher the better obviously.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Ok, thank you :smile:
if my GPA is at 3.6 am i going to be severely disadvantaged do you think? (working on predicted AS grades)
Reply 4
I had a 3.614 and got turned down, if that means anything. And that was a couple of years ago.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending