The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Scroll to see replies

Hi all,
I'm a second year Liberal Arts student at Exeter. Just a quick post to draw your attention to our FB page (search: University of Exeter Liberal Arts Society). The committee check this regularly and will be happy to answer any questions you have about the course and possible majors as well as any questions about Exeter in general! It's also good to keep an eye on for our plans for Freshers week.
Don't be shy!
Jo x
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Original post by JBreadmore
Hi all,
I'm a second year Liberal Arts student at Exeter. Just a quick post to draw your attention to our FB page (search: University of Exeter Liberal Arts Society). The committee check this regularly and will be happy to answer any questions you have about the course and possible majors as well as any questions about Exeter in general! It's also good to keep an eye on for our plans for Freshers week.
Don't be shy!
Jo x

Hi I just wanted to know that in your personal statement did you just speak of one subject or did you include other subjects as well?
SORRY FOR THE DELAYED RESPONSE EVERYONE! Been busy/abroad.

Original post by Nomad0
They don't but you can send one in if you want or need to.

I think they hold interviews for certain courses and applicants but I'm not sure that Liberal Arts is one of them (I'm an Access course student so I figured they probably would've interviewed me but they didn't).

Posted from TSR Mobile

They didn't interview me, or anyone I know on the course :smile: They only interview for Medicine as far as I'm aware :smile:

Original post by LauraD1992
I've just got an offer for this through clearing (I'm a very late applicant - just had a random epiphany, about to quit my job to do this) and I'm just doing a final look around to check it's what I want, and was very happy to see this thread. :biggrin: Biting my nails because technically I'm a mature student at the soaring age of 21.

Thanks so much for offering your help. Is the course what you expected it to be? Are you finding it a useful degree in terms of the future? Thanks :smile:

Go you! That's so awesome! And don't worry at all about the 'mature student' thing, especially at 21! :wink: we're a friendly bunch!

I would say that, because I was in the very first intake, the degree hasn't been exactly what I expected, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing! As I said previously, I'm part of the group gathering feedback to develop the course, and the improvements that have been made this year sound great! And I would say they experience of helping to shape the course, and its flexible nature, mean that I have found it a useful degree in terms of the future (although I'm trying not to dwell on that too much :wink:). It actually made me completely change my planned major from Ancient History to Anthropology based almost entirely on the Body and Culture module (which is AMAZING by the way) so!
Original post by Teddysmith123
Hi I just wanted to know that in your personal statement did you just speak of one subject or did you include other subjects as well?

Thought I would sneak an answer in here too if you don't mind :smile:

I actually applied for a Joint Honours course, but I would say in your personal statement, you could definitely state interest in a specific subject(s) in the view of them becoming your major/minors, especially if you have specific experience/books/etc to do with them or studied them at A level/equivalent. But definitely tie it all in to a broad interest in humanities, and I would discuss what you like about the course structure too (for example, the flexibility, language options, or work experience oppotunities)

Hope that helps! :smile:
Original post by Nomad0
Awesome :smile: thank you very much for improving the course for us :smile:. Do you have any recommendations for the core modules (I'm now not sure which two I would pick :biggrin:) what are they like and which do you prefer?
Also did you take a language or quantitative methodology and how's that going?
Ooh and what are you thinking of majoring in?
Also (last one) have your opinions about the course changed since you started? And what are assignments like and how are they submitted?
And what are the lecturers and teaching like? (okay that was the last one, sorry for the attack)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry for the delay in response :smile:

So, for the core modules, it really depends on what you're interested in personally, and also they're changing them a bit this year, so I can't give you really exact advice unfortunately.

But basically:
Art of Reading and Writing - for me felt a lot like my A level English class. You discuss reading that you've been set, have seminar discussions about them, etc. If you like critical analysis of text and themes, and discussing those, then this is a great one! Also I really liked both the lecturers we had.
Foodways - not quite as science-y as I had hoped, but if you did any sciences at A level this would be a great pick! It's got a lot of Anthropology/food type stuff in it too, and quite a bit of Ancient History in terms of food if that sounds interesting!
Body and Culture - basically an Anthropology crash course in terms of the body. We discussed all sorts of cultures and reactions to the body, it can be a bit shocking at times, but if you enjoy frank and engaging discussions about modern society and themes then this is great (it is also my FAVOURITE and made me choose to major in Anthropology, so there's that)

EDIT: Yes I took Latin! Worst thing ever! They messed up our teaching and exam and I scraped a pass, but it made me decide against studying Ancient History, so I'm kind of glad haha :smile: But I wish I had done Spanish/French or something like that, and everyone I know who did a language like that enjoyed it a lot! I think it's a great feature of the course.

I'm majoring in Anthropology and minoring in Philosophy! :smile: I got my modules for next year back and I'm SO EXCITED.

I would say my opinions have definitely changed, but that happens with anything I think :smile: I would say, for our year, it wasn't as flexible as advertised, but I think there have been big steps to changing that this year. I'm so glad I studied it though, because it made me choose my major, and I've met loads of great people and lecturers! :smile:

As far as lecturers go, they're all super helpful if you use the tools given to you (their office hours, specifically) and do the reading. I cannot emphasise enough DO THE READING because they know if you haven't. And it really helps when you come to writing assignments/essays.

Essays are submitted either online or in person at the office, or in a lecturers drop box outside their personal office. It varies, but there is a great online system called Bart which is really easy to navigate and it tells you on there :smile: Just HAND THEM IN BY 10am because otherwise they're time stamped and you get capped at 40% (this happened to me once and is THE WORST).

Hope that helps! :smile: Again, sorry for the delay!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by haninori
Go you! That's so awesome! And don't worry at all about the 'mature student' thing, especially at 21! :wink: we're a friendly bunch!

I would say that, because I was in the very first intake, the degree hasn't been exactly what I expected, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing! As I said previously, I'm part of the group gathering feedback to develop the course, and the improvements that have been made this year sound great! And I would say they experience of helping to shape the course, and its flexible nature, mean that I have found it a useful degree in terms of the future (although I'm trying not to dwell on that too much :wink:). It actually made me completely change my planned major from Ancient History to Anthropology based almost entirely on the Body and Culture module (which is AMAZING by the way) so!

Lol, thanks! There's a little part of me that's realised that being out of education for nearly three years I totally don't know what's cool any more...! :tongue: (Though I will state that the use of "mature" in that sentence is very much operative :tongue: )

Yeah I read that's what you did - sounds great! And I'll very much look forward to the Body and Culture module.

Thank you for taking the time to reply and you're right - no more mentioning of the word "future"... :eek:
Original post by LauraD1992
Lol, thanks! There's a little part of me that's realised that being out of education for nearly three years I totally don't know what's cool any more...! :tongue: (Though I will state that the use of "mature" in that sentence is very much operative :tongue: )

Yeah I read that's what you did - sounds great! And I'll very much look forward to the Body and Culture module.

Thank you for taking the time to reply and you're right - no more mentioning of the word "future"... :eek:

haha! I'm sure you'll be fine! I found having taken a gap year I was really set up to put loads of energy into study and meeting new people, so it'll probably really benefit you if anything! :smile:

Oh yes, definitely haha! I hope to see you at the welcome meeting and socials in freshers! :biggrin:
Hi there,
I'm a little confused about what your able to study as well as the core modules in the first year. For example would I be able to to study some modules in philosophy and film studies while learning spanish as my skill in the first year?

Thanks a lot.
Reading about the core modules has made me realise I prefer Exeter's History course a lot more. Do you think they would let me transfer from liberal arts to history when I get there? Or will I have to apply through ucas extra in feb? 😔 I don't want to firm them and then be in a situation where I can't change.

Posted from TSR Mobile
try contacting them now and asking. I suspect they will provided the entry requirements are the same. they also run flexible combined honours where can do w or more subjects. try looking into that as well
Hi. So... Is anyone from outside the UK doing Liberal Arts?
Reply 111
I've applied for this course but am still waiting to hear. When should I expect to hear by? Also, how many people are admitted to Liberal Arts each year? I wrote the uni to ask, but never received a reply. My fingers are tightly crossed as the course sounds exactly what I'm looking for!
Just received a Liberal Arts unconditional. I'm an international student, and I submitted my application mid-January.
Reply 113
Where are you from? :smile:
In all likelihood yes they would let you transfer, but you can just major in History and do most of your credits in that. Just FYI I know a lot of History students and that department are harsh markers and there is a lot a lot of work to do so keep that in mind! :smile:

also Flexible Combined Honours is really oversubscribed every year so chances are that will be full (just in response to the comment below)

But yes, chances are if you turn up and hate it they will let you change (also the course convenor is a History professor so he's in the know about it anyway)
Original post by scortes
I've applied for this course but am still waiting to hear. When should I expect to hear by? Also, how many people are admitted to Liberal Arts each year? I wrote the uni to ask, but never received a reply. My fingers are tightly crossed as the course sounds exactly what I'm looking for!

I would say around 30-60 people? depends on the amount of applications I think :smile:
I'm not sure when you'll hear back, I think I heard end of feb/early march time? Good luck! :smile:
Original post by Embaristotle
Hi there,
I'm a little confused about what your able to study as well as the core modules in the first year. For example would I be able to to study some modules in philosophy and film studies while learning spanish as my skill in the first year?

Thanks a lot.

Hi sorry for the delayed reply, but basically, at the moment you have a choice of 2 of the core modules (which adds up to 30 credits) from Liberal Arts, then 30 credits of spanish, then you would have 60 credits to do what you like with, including philosophy and film studies! and most philosophy modules from experience are 15 credits so you could do up to 4 modules on top of the core and spanish stuff :smile:
Original post by mcl385
Where are you from? :smile:

I'm from the United States.
Reply 118
Just received an offer for Liberal Arts - IB 36 points. Am so happy!!
Hello, I know this is five years later! I have applied for the same course for the 2019 intake. Did u end up doing the course? What are your thoughts about the course now? Thanks in advance :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending