The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Witty Username
These measures aren't put into place to give disabled students an extra edge over able bodied students, they're there to make sure that they have an equal opportunity to do well, despite their disability.

That may be true, but they do give disabled students an extra edge over able bodied students.
Reply 21
Original post by Juan Mata
That may be true, but they do give disabled students an extra edge over able bodied students.

If you would like to back your statement up with evidence I would been keen to see it.
Original post by NJones
If you would like to back your statement up with evidence I would been keen to see it.

Why would that research ever be done? :rolleyes:

It's pretty ****ing obvious that people writing on a laptop will be quicker than people writing by hand. I know from personal experience of speaking to someone who gets to use a laptop (he's not even disabled, he just has slow writing apparently) that he managed to write a fair bit more than anyone else did in the exams we had together.
Why would that research ever be done? :rolleyes:

It's pretty ****ing obvious that people writing on a laptop will be quicker than people writing by hand. I know from personal experience of speaking to someone who gets to use a laptop (he's not even disabled, he just has slow writing apparently) that he managed to write a fair bit more than anyone else did in the exams we had together.

You are aware that people who use laptops are given tests beforehand to see how fast they type? This will decide how much (if any) extra time they need.
Original post by OU Student
You are aware that people who use laptops are given tests beforehand to see how fast they type? This will decide how much (if any) extra time they need.

I'm sure it's impossible for them to type slower than their fastest.

Also extra time? If anything the most likely outcome is they type faster than most people write and therefore should have time taken off.
Reply 25
Your comments highlight your complete misunderstanding of the reason as to why support is put in place.
Original post by NJones
Your comments highlight your complete misunderstanding of the reason as to why support is put in place.

Lol, your comments highlight your complete misunderstanding of what my comments are actually saying.

I'm not denying that students who can't write for whatever reason should be allowed to type. I'm denying that this gives them no advantage over the other students, as someone was saying is the case.
Lol, your comments highlight your complete misunderstanding of what my comments are actually saying.

I'm not denying that students who can't write for whatever reason should be allowed to type. I'm denying that this gives them no advantage over the other students, as someone was saying is the case.

What an arrogant, ignorant and unpleasant individual.

You have provided no evidence for your bigoted prejudice yet continue to spew out your bile.
Original post by balotelli12
What an arrogant, ignorant and unpleasant individual.

You have provided no evidence for your bigoted prejudice yet continue to spew out your bile.

Bit of an overreaction bruh. It's pretty obvious that what I'm saying is true yet apparently disabled people are beyond criticism (even though they're not really the ones being criticised).

And where's your evidence for this?
Original post by OU Student
And where's your evidence for this?

Where's your evidence for your argument?
Reply 31
Okay, for the uninformed, making prejudiced statements based on jealousy:

As a teacher of 17 years, with experience of supporting disabled students, and current assessor for DSA, I've seen a number of students requiring support. Many students have difficulties which would disadvantage them in the standard examination situation where the time constraint means the are not on a 'level playing field' with others in the same situation.

Simple example: A dyslexic student who has difficulties with automaticity of reading text would take longer to read and understand the question. This would have been identified in their diagnostic assessment with an educational psychologist. The same person would take a lot longer to structure and compose their responses and check them over. Again, difficulties are identified using accepted tests and conducted by an educational psychologist. Providing that person with the use of laptop computer in an examination would allow them to read on-screen fonts with different coloured backgrounds/contrast to assist their reading accuracy. It would allow them to structure, edit and compose work using the word processing features. They would not have access to spell check or thesaurus features or internet access as this would put them at an advantage. In this situation the laptop is being provided as a strategy to accommodate the deficits in processing they experience. Throw in difficulties linked to handwriting speed as a result of these deficits in processing, and a dyslexic student would only get through a small proportion of the work within the time frame.

And yes, studies have been done to support these 'reasonable adjustments' in higher education. Look at:
The Experience of Higher Education from the Perspective of Disabled Students, Sarah Holloway, Disability & Society,
Vol. 16, Iss. 4, 2001
(edited 9 years ago)
Bit of an overreaction bruh. It's pretty obvious that what I'm saying is true yet apparently disabled people are beyond criticism (even though they're not really the ones being criticised).

Pretty obvious?

My arse.
Using a laptop in exams is a reasonable adjustment under the Equalities Act. You won't get a laptop in exams because you've asked for one - you have to have good reason.
I am allowed to type my exams because I have broken my wrist multiple times and writing is very difficult for me as my wrist gets tired easily and metal lins start to hurt after a while. My handwriting is also significantly slower than my typing so I have a laptop because otherwise I wouldn't even make it half way through the exam and that is unfair because it's not my fault that I cannot write. As for the majority of my year they wanted to use a laptop but had no proficient reasoning except they were faster. The teachers said no because there are criteria around it. Now you have to take a test and fill out a form to prove you are of a significant disadvantage if you write. Ask your school about it x

Latest