The Student Room Group

deVere Group

Scroll to see replies

I dont understand how people can still ask if its ok to interview with this firm after the countless negative comments everywhere on the internet.

Its like you still doubt that the earth is round because you havent actually seen it by yourself.
Reply 41
I have heard of loads of these scams and have been approached by deVere, who apparently claimed they had "headhunted" me! This I found absolutely ridiculous considering I have never expressed an interest in working in Finance!
I understand the company does sound attractive even if you are not interested in finance. But what kind of company would recruit employees without an interest or relevant qualifications. At the end of the day Businesses are out to make money and employing staff unqualified is only going increase staff turnover, so why would you even consider working for a company with such an incomprehensible business model!!
do not work for deVere!!! i have been here for two months, everything they say is lies! they will promise you this and that but never deliver. deVere is a pyramid scheme, they will never go into there own pockets for you. yes they pay for hilton in malta for 5 nights.... thats where it ends! you are self employed. you buy your own phone, printer, laptop, not sure about business cards yet... they pay for nothing. this is the same in all locations. in two months i have seen 11 people come and go because they come here on a lie. oh they do help you with something.... they give you websites to look at to look for an apartment. again... DEVERE is a PYRAMID SCHEME! your on your own and its all clicky clicky at every location, if you dont fit in you dont get in. some guys are given deals while other are left to struggle. the people i work with are so dumb!... they employee monkeys to learn the work and see what sticks. once i get paid i am out of here! do not believe what the say in london for the presentation, you will not get a coordinator. you will be cold calling yourself for 3 months straight and only then you might get a coordinator. remember pyramid scheme, you pay for everything from your own pocket and you get no help at ALL!!! good luck
Dear All,

I am a Sales Manager for a UK based telesales organisation.

One of my agents came to me today to claim he had been 'headhunted' by DeVere. Interesting I thought.

As soon as he explained 'the deal', unrealistic projected earnings (850k in first year for unqualified financial sales), he had to pay for flight to Malta for interview (after which he may not be selected for position), ALARM BELLS STARTED RINGING!

I do hope I have convinced him this is a scam, and have directed him to numerous links, advised him to the watch the movie BOILER ROOM (which glamourises this industry a little but also highlights the harm of conning people out of their life savings).

Stay away. Please please please, dont get 'sold' the dream, lied to by recruiters.

You should never have to spend a penny (within reason) to obtain a legitimate job.

Best of luck in your legitimate career choices.
Reply 44
Could you tell me what your experience has been since this post? Did you give it a go? considering whether this is a company I would like to work for or not, so any first-hand experience would be great, thanks!
Reply 45
Hi All,

I was too a victim of this nonsense, but decided to eject before I get scammed. I was meant to have the group interview on Friday and after reading these criticisms, I have chosen not to go for it and focus on what I am worth.

Would like to thank everyone
Reply 46
Hi just went to the talk today in Hilton heathrow..
The job was really glamourised, with emphasis on how much money you COULD earn and the endless opportunities on where to travel.
He said you get paid €1500 in Malta and then a flat €1100 excluding commission after. But after reading these reviews and watching the panorama clip ( http://youtu.be/rS36OlVCY5s ) I won't be going for the telephone interview. How can you not be interested in what I've graduated in and where I have previously worked?
If it's too good to be true then it probably is.
Reply 47
Hi guys,

Really interesting reading.

I am currently through the first two stages of the "recruitment process" and I am highly sceptical. I am going for a face to face interview later this week with a recruiter, and I am keen to get some answers to the questions that you guys have raised here. My thoughts from this application have gone from excitement to doubt by reading these posts. I class myself as fairly level headed and even during the presentation last week I was trying to keep a level head while all around were gasping at the impressive sales pitch put together by the DeVere rep.

I will keep you informed as to my thoughts after my interview this week.
Reply 48
Original post by ukstudent1989
Hi

Been invited to a presentation in London about the deVere graduate program. I was just wondering if any one has worked for deVere before and what its like?

Is it commission based only or do you get a basic wage?

Avoid like the plague mate, I worked as a financial adviser for years, and this mob, along with Montpellier would constantly call me, it's a complete scam, I decided to listen to their pitch and they said "yeah you get to come to the Channel Islands for our amazing training" so I said, oh that's not too bad, first class flights? And they said, no you pay that yourself......so I just laughed and put the phone down, I got offered an interview with an IFA firm in Dubai, and they were willing to pay my flights, and put me up for a few days, just to make sure I liked Dubai.

They trawl facebook etc as a way of generating leads and prey on new experts, offering dodgy investments and qrops pension transfers, it's toxic, if you work for these guys, don't expect to ever be hired in the uk again in the same capacity. I interviewed a guy for a job, who had worked with them, in KL, and I was astounded at the levels they lowered to.
Ok - So I thought this warranted a review on my experience with "deVere" this year.

I was originally contacted by someone in Malta who "sold me the dream" and advised me that the average earnings with the company are £80-120 GBP per year and that I could work at any of their offices worldwide - (who wouldn't be tempted by an offer like that???)

So i decided to take the next step and attend the meeting at the Hilton in Heathrow with Andy Chalklin which was supposed to be a "Presentation with Q & A Session"

In reality we were "talked at" for 1hr 50min with zero time to sufficiently answer questions at the end & there was another group coming in and therefore it seemed like we were rushed in and rushed straight back out the door. I decided to do a bit of homework on the company and came across this site and immediately voiced my concerns to the recruiters about the negative comments and was told "not to worry" about these and one even compared it to "Trip Advisor"

The long and short of it is that deVere pay you "NO BASIC SALARY AT ALL" - unless you are in a location such as Dubai where they pay you a "retainer" which equates to about £1000 per month.

You cannot work in the UK for your 1st year unless you are already financially qualified.

Basically you have to have a minimum of at least £5000 behind you to move to another country to pay for your food, accommodation, lifestyle and even then you will "ONLY GET PAID ON WHAT YOU SELL"

Big promises of lots of money but essentially deVere are getting people to work for them "FOR FREE"

To anyone considering working for deVere - do yourself a favor, don't bother wasting your time and money booking your own flights to go and see these guys - consider all the reviews on here - they are written for a reason!!! I personally had nothing against the group until i did a bit more digging - it's important that people know the facts before you end up abroad, broke, away from family & friends and possibly facing a mental breakdown!!! Do yourself a favor and look for a decent job in the UK with a basic salary & bonus and forget about all of the people trying to take advantage of people's desperation in a struggling economy. The old saying "If it seems too good to be true, it probably is" certainly applies here.

Happy job hunting people
Reply 50
Reading these negative comments make me laugh.

I currently work for Devere and have grown up around this company for the past few years.

Those slating obviously have had bad experiences, not made it in short.

The company is a machine: You'll either make it along small fortune or it'll spit you out and roll onto the next person.

The potential you have is ridiculous, figures of £850k aren't going to be made by the rookie in his first year of joining, but yes people do earn that much after a long graft of working there way up - it doesn't just happen over night.

Those willing to put something on the line and take the jump are those who will make it, where as those on the other hand who sit in there bed room and slate a company after probably not even stepping out the front door are naive of the real world and should open there eyes a little bit more.

If you have any questions feel free to ask me and I'll happily tell you the truth from a current employee.
Reply 51
Aren't DeVere a boiler room?
Reply 52
Original post by Jebedee
Aren't DeVere a boiler room?

Do you even know what that is?
Reply 53
Original post by Millz24
Do you even know what that is?

Investment scam.
Reply 54
Original post by Jebedee
Investment scam.

No, it isn't a boiler room.

Where on earth did you get that from?
Reply 55
Original post by Millz24
No, it isn't a boiler room.

Where on earth did you get that from?

They cold call about investments and are set up in dodgy countries across the globe. Sounds exactly like a boiler room to me. Except these guys extend their activities from victims to their own employees. What happened to honour amongst thieves eh?
So realistically after you complete the academy in Malta, what can you expect to be earning?

Also how much help is there in setting yourself up in a the new country you travel to?
Reply 57
Anyone who can read any of these comments, watch any YouTube clips of their sleaze-bag CEO, read anything about how they treat their clients and STILL ask whether they should go for an interview or join them seem exactly the calibre of person who should be working at the deVere Group frankly.
Reply 58
Original post by Jebedee
They cold call about investments and are set up in dodgy countries across the globe. Sounds exactly like a boiler room to me. Except these guys extend their activities from victims to their own employees. What happened to honour amongst thieves eh?

Dodgy countries? That just shows the amount of knowledge you have.
You are just like the dozen of other people who read the first piece of bad press and take it as the complete truth.
Reply 59
Original post by 91jmay
Anyone who can read any of these comments, watch any YouTube clips of their sleaze-bag CEO, read anything about how they treat their clients and STILL ask whether they should go for an interview or join them seem exactly the calibre of person who should be working at the deVere Group frankly.

You speak from first hand experience of working for DeVere then?
My guess is your unemployed and will be for a long time - waiting for a company which has no negative comments what so ever from disgruntled staff? WAKE UP.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending