The Student Room Group

An offer from Manchester but different course!!!

I am still quite confused about this. I just received an offer from university of Manchester tonight, they offered me a place with the course of F008 science with integrated foundation year however I did not apply for this course.the course I applied was G1N3mathematics with finance. Can university change my choice? But at least they should tell me whether my application for my course is declined or not. I haven't received any emails from university. I just tracked my ucas application online really. But I am still confused my AS results were AAB . Why the university gave an different offer. Can someone answer me ?!
Reply 1
It seems like they've made a mistake. Get into contact with both UCAS and the university; they cannot change your course for you so it seems something has gone wrong with the system.
Reply 2
Original post by Ras17
It seems like they've made a mistake. Get into contact with both UCAS and the university; they cannot change your course for you so it seems something has gone wrong with the system.

They can offer a different course, actually.

Sent from my GT-S5363
Reply 3
Original post by Juno

Sent from my GT-S5363

That means I have been rejected for my choice?
Sometimes if a Uni thinks you arent suitable for the course you applied for, they offer you another course instead, rather than simply rejecting you and leaving you with nothing.

If its 'feels' like a mistake (I agree, Foundation Science isnt an obvious alternative to Maths/Finance) then phone the Uni and check. Dont phone UCAS - the course code was inputted by the Uni not them, so they wont know anything about 'why'.
Reply 5
Original post by returnmigrant
Sometimes if a Uni thinks you arent suitable for the course you applied for, they offer you another course instead, rather than simply rejecting you and leaving you with nothing.

If its 'feels' like a mistake (I agree, Foundation Science isnt an obvious alternative to Maths/Finance) then phone the Uni and check. Dont phone UCAS - the course code was inputted by the Uni not them, so they wont know anything about 'why'.

Thanks for your advice. Anyway, I have tried to contact with uni. Really looking forward to receiving reply and hope thats a mistake. :frown:
:frown::frown:
Reply 6
Original post by Juno

Sent from my GT-S5363

And does Science with Foundation Year bear anything in similarity with Mathematics with Finance? No, it does not. It'd be pretty foolish of them to consider that as an acceptable substitute.

Plus taking into consideration the OP's grades, it's unlikely that they'd digress so far from her original choice.

Also, if you read my post again, I specifically said they cannot change your course themselves, which is markedly different than offering an alternative course.

(You're right, I should have been clearer on that, though.)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Felicia.ma
Thanks for your advice. Anyway, I have tried to contact with uni. Really looking forward to receiving reply and hope thats a mistake. :frown:
:frown::frown:

It's alright. No need to worry about it until after you've received a reply from them.

It's possible that the course entered on your track was incorrect, due to a technical/human error.

If for some odd reason the university offered you an alternate choice, there is a chance it was to fill the places on the course in case it had a lower application rate and buff the numbers.

In all honesty though, your grades suggest that that shouldn't have happened.

Did you perhaps focus a little too much on science in your Personal Statement maybe?

Anyway, as I said, don't worry until you've heard a reply from them.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Ras17
And does Science with Foundation Year bear anything in similarity with Mathematics with Finance? No, it does not. It'd be pretty foolish of them to consider that as an acceptable substitute.

It's actually not as distant as you might think. The "science" foundation year at Manchester covers a number of different subjects including maths, which is the major component of the degree the OP applied for originally. Completing the year guarantees you a place on a course in one of a number of subject areas, maths included, so it's the relevant foundation year for the course the OP applied for.

Plus taking into consideration the OP's grades, it's unlikely that they'd digress so far from her original choice.

It's unusual, but a preferable alternative to not making them offer at all.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Potally_Tissed
It's actually not as distant as you might think. The "science" foundation year at Manchester covers a number of different subjects including maths, which is the major component of the degree the OP applied for originally. Completing the year guarantees you a place on a course in one of a number of subject areas, maths included, so it's the relevant foundation year for the course the OP applied for.

It's unusual, but a preferable alternative to not making them offer at all.

They can make an offer for a different course to the one you applied for, which is the key point here.

If her grades at A-Level are satisfactory to typically get on that course without a foundation year then offering one seems a bit odd. Those are usually reserved for those who don't have sufficient subjects/knowledge to enter the course straight away. Unless, the OP's application was lacking in such an aspect.

Also, in regard to your key point, I've accepted it was wrong of me not to elaborate on that in my edit.
Original post by Ras17
If her grades at A-Level are satisfactory to typically get on that course without a foundation year then offering one seems a bit odd. Those are usually reserved for those who don't have sufficient subjects/knowledge to enter the course straight away. Unless, the OP's application was lacking in such an aspect.

It's odd, yes, but there's not really any reason why they can't do it if they want to. If they weren't going to get an offer for the course for whatever reason and the options are offer a place on the foundation year or reject them, it's the better option.

It could of course still be a mistake, my point is that I can see the logic behind it if it was intentional.

Also, in regard to your key point, I've accepted it was wrong of me not to elaborate on that in my edit.

Apologies, didn't see your edit. Edited my post in response to your edit :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Ras17

Also, if you read my post again, I specifically said they cannot change your course themselves, which is markedly different than offering an alternative course.

(You're right, I should have been clearer on that, though.)

No, it's an offer for a changed course. So they have changed the course by offering an alternative course.

You seem to be trying to get angry and use semantics to deflect the fact that you were wrong.

Sent from my GT-S5363
Reply 12
Original post by Potally_Tissed
It's odd, yes, but there's not really any reason why they can't do it if they want to. If they weren't going to get an offer for the course for whatever reason and the options are offer a place on the foundation year or reject them, it's the better option.

It could of course still be a mistake, my point is that I can see the logic behind it if it was intentional.

Oh, yes. I'm not rejecting the possibility of it being intentional. On the face of things, to me it just seemed like it was reasonable to suggest a mistake considering OP's grades and the unusual terms.

Original post by Juno
No, it's an offer for a changed course. So they have changed the course by offering an alternative course.

You seem to be trying to get angry and use semantics to deflect the fact that you were wrong.

Sent from my GT-S5363

Not angry :smile: Sometimes I come across that way because of my written expression but rest assured that isn't the case.

On to your point, I accept that it wasn't a great way to put my point across (as I've already pointed out) but from the OP's tone, they thought that the course they wanted was off-limits and the other course was more of a forcible "take-it-or-leave-it scenario". Essentially, it does seem to be. I was simply trying to stipulate that they cannot force the OP to change their course if they do not wish to do so.
Reply 13
Original post by Ras17
Oh, yes. I'm not rejecting the possibility of it being intentional. On the face of things, to me it just seemed like it was reasonable to suggest a mistake considering OP's grades and the unusual terms.

Not angry :smile: Sometimes I come across that way because of my written expression but rest assured that isn't the case.

On to your point, I accept that it wasn't a great way to put my point across (as I've already pointed out) but from the OP's tone, they thought that the course they wanted was off-limits and the other course was more of a forcible "take-it-or-leave-it scenario". Essentially, it does seem to be. I was simply trying to stipulate that they cannot force the OP to change their course if they do not wish to do so.

Yeah, my friends told me if uni wants to offer an alternative course, they would inform student first. Btw, I am glade that I just got an offer from Lancaster without changing my course :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Felicia.ma
Yeah, my friends told me if uni wants to offer an alternative course, they would inform student first. Btw, I am glade that I just got an offer from Lancaster without changing my course :tongue:

That's awesome! Congratulations :biggrin:

Heard back from Manchester yet though? =O
Can this happen on results day? I mean can they offer me a foundation course in place of CS if I firmed them and miss their offer?:biggrin:

I'm an Intl student, will get my results in May :redface:
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending