The Student Room Group

Does This Count As Previous Study For Student Finance?

I have been given about five different, conflicting pieces of advice from universities and SFE with regards to student finance for 2013 / 2014 so I'm hoping somebody here may be able to provide me with a definitive answer.

I plan to study an undergraduate degree full-time at university starting September 2013.

In 11 / 12 I studied a Certificate of Higher Education (level 4 qualification) part-time. I received funding from SFE via a grant to pay for this course.

In 12 / 13 I have studied a second Certificate of Higher Education (again, level 4) part-time. This time I paid for the course myself. I have only received DSA.

The problem is some people have said both of these years get included in previous study calculations so I would only be eligible for two years support during my degree. Others have said they don't get counted at all so I would qualify for funding throughout my entire degree. SFE have told me both - so I really don't know where I stand!

Personally, I thought previous study only gets taken into account when it's an equivalent level qualification. A Certificate of Higher Education and a degree are clearly not ELQs.

Hopefully somebody can clarify the exact rules for me as I feel I'm being seriously messed about and I just don't know where I stand on such an important issue!
Reply 1
It's how many years study you've had and not how many funded years by SFE.
Reply 2
Yes I get that bit - that's not the part I'm questioning. I'm questioning whether my level 4 qualifications in general get counted and, if so, why when they're not ELQs?

This was posted from The Stu
Original post by seantnash
Yes I get that bit - that's not the part I'm questioning. I'm questioning whether my level 4 qualifications in general get counted and, if so, why when they're not ELQs?

This was posted from The Stu

A Certificate of Higher Education is the equivalent to year 1 of a degree. You may find that you won't get tuition fee's for year 1 (but you'll get a maintenance loan if you're going full time) - but you will for years 2 onwards.

Quick Reply