The Student Room Group
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website

Is Coventry a good uni?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bill_Gates
Coventry is not a good university, take it from me.

Hi.

I was thinking of going of studying at CU next year (2015). Can you please tell me why it's not a good uni?
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website
It is really difficult to find negatives about Coventry but I will try.

It's not a Russell Group university and this may be important to some but it does sit above some Russell Group Unis in the league table. Being a city centre uni then space can become problematic, however the uni is constantly trying to address this. It is a difficult issue though with the reputation constantly growing it is attracting more and more prospective students and the campus feels a lot busier this year than last.

Parking is a problem. If you live on campus or in the city this is not a problem but if you wish to drive in then there is only limited spaces for students. These are normally full by 9am so you have to arrive early to get a space. This problem is further highlighted by a large multistorey car park nearby which is owned by the uni but the parking is restricted to staff and visitors. It is reported that this car park rarely gets full and spaces which could be opened to students are left empty. There is an ongoing debate around this with the estates department looking at alternative parking sites but the uni has to balance this with its commitment to the environment and encouraging people to drive instead of using public transport does not fit within that ethic.

As a student rep I do get to hear the complaints of students but these are usually superficial and can normally be solved by the student taking ownership of the issue and their education, which is all part of the academic process but when there is a genuine problem the faculties react quickly to resolve it.

As a city centre university you quickly feel part of Coventry and the nightlife is not bad but compared to larger cities such as Nottingham and Derby then it does have some catching up to do. A few years from now with the current level of investment and commitment by the council and university will see Coventry rival any city and if you have entreprenurial blood then the city presents enormous exciting prospects for new businesses but if you are after a fantastic nightlife that's ready made then there are better cities.

As I said, it is difficult to find negatives and those that exist are being dealt with by the university. Every university will have some problems and in many ways the problems at Coventry arise from its own success. With an establishment that is clearly committed to dealing with any issues is building confidence in its students that they have a voice and things will be dealt with.

Hope this helps.
Reply 82
As a first year at Cov, my lecturers are very helpful and pleasant, the Student Union is very involved with the students and the campus is very close to the city centre where there are many shops and restaurants you can go to. There is also literally a street full of student pubs on campus too, so everything that you would possibly need if you live on campus would be very close by.

However I'm still trying to get used to the city's overall quietness.. Some many argue this is a good quality, others bad... It depends on where you're used to I guess.
Apart from the club Kasbah you might find the nightlife to be dry. Kasbah is brilliant on a Friday and special event nights but due to its popularity can get quite crowded.

Coventry is a generally nice city. The uni may not be in the Russell Group but as it's still relatively new it is continuously bettering itself from strength to strength in the league tables. It is improving its status as a modern university and I believe the teaching that I'm receiving there is of a good standard. Also it is renowned for Mechanical Engineering. I wish more people would give it a chance.
Reply 83
lolling at people who say Coventry is awful, clearly because they spend most of their time around the area of Cov Uni and Colly etc, which is probably the roughest area (thought the immediate area around the uni is nice..)

try coming to other areas on the opposite side of the city, lots of leafy areas :wink:
Can anyone tell me what accommodation would be best if you want to have someone stay with you for about a week or something? My boyfriend lives really far away so when he visits he will be staying with me for a few nights at a time, which accommodation will allow me to do this?
My preferences are also en-suite and one were quite a bit happens, unlike one where maybe no one really goes to or ever has parties or anything.
Study Inn
They allow you to let people sleep for weeks in your room
It's ****!
Reply 87
Original post by bronemillie
Would like to know others views on Coventry uni? Is it a decent uni? Is there hot lads there? Is it a good night life?

Any help is grateful,

Thank you:smile:

Hey Bronemillie,
I might be slightly biased as I'm a current student and work at the uni, but I did my undergraduate degree at Coventry and liked it so much I've stayed here for my masters too. What course are you looking to apply to study? As a university we've improved greatly in the last 4 years, and what I personally love so much is the amount that staff care about the students learning experience, when I first came to an open day here that's what drew me to Coventry and it's one of the main reasons I've stayed here for my research degree.

As far as night life goes I've found it fine, I'm originally from Birmingham and Coventry is considerably smaller, but with Birmingham so close by if you do feel the need it's very easy to venture over, although personally I've been happy with the range of bars and clubs Coventry has to offer.

Original post by Mooimadog
Can anyone from Coventry university comment on what the uni's like, what the town's like and what it's like living there. I'm possibly hoping to study mechanical engineering there, and from what I've seen, everything looks pretty good but people on here are saying it isn't

From living in Coventry for 4 years as a student, I'd say it's great. I've lived in halls, and shared houses, and in different areas of the city. Obviously different areas of the city have their own advantages but there are plenty of halls and houses to choose from all within easy walking distance of the university so you can chose based on whats important for you.

I've found that Coventry has been the perfect size for me, the city is not so big you feel lost in it, but there's enough going on that you're not going to get bored easily. The major advantage of a smaller city for me was being able to walk everywhere, so there's no extra expenses of public transport or petrol. I think everyones looking for something different from their university location , but honestly I think Coventry has something to offer for everybody.

- Josh
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 88
Original post by rainbowsloth
Can anyone tell me what accommodation would be best if you want to have someone stay with you for about a week or something? My boyfriend lives really far away so when he visits he will be staying with me for a few nights at a time, which accommodation will allow me to do this?
My preferences are also en-suite and one were quite a bit happens, unlike one where maybe no one really goes to or ever has parties or anything.

I'd say Singer is your best bet at having people over, noone ever checks and there isn't security to get into the actual accommodation however it isn't ensuite. Parties happen in every accommodation, depends on the people living there.
Reply 89
I study at Coventry uni, first year, and I'm currently not enjoying at all, there is no social life whats so ever and its hard to make friends that you will have for the rest of your life, its not only my opinion as iv my colleagues and they all seem to agree with me, overall not a good uni. I guys are willing to apply to uni, apply for university of Birmingham or Aston as the social life and everything is sooo much better, and its near to coventry. The studies are extremely limed in Coventry and there is no events going on. I'm so envious of my friends that go Birmingham, they seem to be having so much fun. they even have a SKY DIVING society, how great!!!
Reply 90
study at Coventry uni, first year, and I'm currently not enjoying at all, there is no social life whats so ever and its hard to make friends that you will have for the rest of your life, its not only my opinion as iv my colleagues and they all seem to agree with me, overall not a good uni. I guys are willing to apply to uni, apply for university of Birmingham or Aston as the social life and everything is sooo much better, and its near to coventry. The studies are extremely limed in Coventry and there is no events going on. I'm so envious of my friends that go Birmingham, they seem to be having so much fun. they even have a SKY DIVING society, how great!!!
Original post by semem123
study at Coventry uni, first year, and I'm currently not enjoying at all, there is no social life whats so ever and its hard to make friends that you will have for the rest of your life, its not only my opinion as iv my colleagues and they all seem to agree with me, overall not a good uni. I guys are willing to apply to uni, apply for university of Birmingham or Aston as the social life and everything is sooo much better, and its near to coventry. The studies are extremely limed in Coventry and there is no events going on. I'm so envious of my friends that go Birmingham, they seem to be having so much fun. they even have a SKY DIVING society, how great!!!

I think this is one of them typical first year cold feet posts.
No offence to you - it sucks moving to a new city and not being what you expected. But you're in first year and in your first term and I can promise you it'll get better.

You don't always meet the people you will be friends for life with a fresher. The majority of the friends I kept from university I met in 2nd year or later in 1st year when I'd settled into things.
Yes Coventry is a **** hole - (I'm local and I agree) but the city and university have a lot to offer young people. Give it a chance - hope uni gets better for you x
i was thinking the same thing. im looking into going there, currently it is my first choice as three years and i'm qualified - it is the only university that offers that. i'm not much for partying -more a fitness fanatic, so i'm not too concerned about the night life. though of course i am open to it. heard they are building a new science building. Whats the accommodation like and general life there? what is the student union like ? they didnt say much about what is offered
Reply 93
shes not a hater lol. Its true. If your going to go to uni based on 'hot guys' then you are actually wasting your time.
Hey everyone, I am going to Coventry uni London campus next year and was pretty confident that it is a decent uni, but now I am not quite sure

Is there anyone who is studying in London campus?
Reply 95
Original post by covkid96
Strange that, considering 47 % of Cov uni students are locals. Obviously you dont know how to enjoy yourself either, Cov and Warwickshire has a population of 900,000. Are you really saying All these people have no where to go.......Lol !

h aha aha aha aha aha aha aha ah
coventry uni london campus is very very very rubbish! there is not fair results you will have, there are many teachers don't know what should teach you, there are staffs don't care about you, there are departments you sent email and reply you next month or never, anyway this university is ****ing funny and ****ing rubbish

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending