The Student Room Group

Access Course or A Levels to study Dentistry at uni?

I'm 18 years old currently enrolled at a distant learning provider (ICS) studying the IGCSE in biology, chemistry and physics. I've applied to go back to college in spent September to study A Level Biology, Chemistry, History and English literature. After finishing secondary school with 6 GCSES I went to sixth form last year and studied AS applied business and AS literature and got DEE. I decided I wanted to be a dentist last summer and researched the entry requirements and everything there is to know about dentistry. I even bought the Oxford handbook of clinical dentistry which further fuelled my passion for dentistry. However I also found about the Access course to Medicine, Biochemistry and Dentistry which allows adults to go onto higher education and that appealed to me. I meet the entry requirements into the access course which is taught at 2 selected colleges in my city (London) I'm now torn between doing the access course or doing A levels. Of course i will be applying for relevant work experience before I apply to university next year. Which would be better to study: the access course (1 year intensive course which I can only begin next September) or A levels which I can start this September (I'll be 20 when I complete either course) I'm so confused right now.
Reply 1
I am an Access student and currently hold a conditional offer from Newcastle. It is worth checking with each school you are interested in and seeing if they take it....Like the previous poster said, some universities do sadly still seem reluctant regarding Access though I think more and more of them are becoming more receptive to the idea :smile:

Good luck.
Reply 2
Original post by tom31
I am an Access student and currently hold a conditional offer from Newcastle. It is worth checking with each school you are interested in and seeing if they take it....Like the previous poster said, some universities do sadly still seem reluctant regarding Access though I think more and more of them are becoming more receptive to the idea :smile:

Good luck.

I have read a few comments about some universities considering applications from access course students on a case by case basis - is there any evidence of this?

None of the Uni's I have contacted have indicated anything other than a strict no unless they openly accept them.
Reply 3
Original post by vinnie83
I have read a few comments about some universities considering applications from access course students on a case by case basis - is there any evidence of this?

None of the Uni's I have contacted have indicated anything other than a strict no unless they openly accept them.

Yes, some of them are not very clear on what they will/won't accept regarding Access courses. From my own experience I can say that Newcastle are very friendly and welcoming regarding Access and seem to put an emphasis on having a well-rounded application, while Glasgow, Liverpool and Sheffield also told me that they accept them...Some places abide by the principle that academics are only an element of an application and so will take into account other areas such as your extra-curriculars, work experience, personal reflection etc. Sadly, some other universities on the other hand will reject many potentially great students at the outset every year solely on the basis that they have a blanket "not suitable" policy for Access qualifications.

It really is worth speaking to each individual dental school that you are interested in and seeing what they say, as I think it is very much a "case by case" basis with some schools.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by tom31

Good luck.

Original post by tom31
Yes, some of them are not very clear on what they will/won't accept regarding Access courses. From my own experience I can say that Newcastle are very friendly and welcoming regarding Access and seem to put an emphasis on having a well-rounded application, while Glasgow, Liverpool and Sheffield also told me that they accept them...Some places abide by the principle that academics are only an element of an application and so will take into account other areas such as your extra-curriculars, work experience, personal reflection etc. Sadly, some other universities on the other hand will reject many potentially great students at the outset every year solely on the basis that they have a blanket "not suitable" policy for Access qualifications.

It really is worth speaking to each individual dental school that you are interested in and seeing what they say, as I think it is very much a "case by case" basis with some schools.

May i ask what your gcse grades are?
Reply 5
Original post by tom31

Good luck.

Where did you take the access course? I'm interested in starting the access course as distance learning

Quick Reply

Latest