The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine

Hello All,

I am considering applying for the GEM course for 2014 subject to passing the GAMSAT. I will be 33 *cough cough* when I start. 37 by the time I finish. I am a solicitor at the moment and been flirting with the idea of changing careers for the past year.

Can anyone share their feedback about GEM? Also, does anyone know or is there anyone on here in their 30's with a family who could give me their feedback.

Would very much appreciate any feedback.
Original post by Dr_Wannabe
Hello All,

I am considering applying for the GEM course for 2014 subject to passing the GAMSAT. I will be 33 *cough cough* when I start. 37 by the time I finish. I am a solicitor at the moment and been flirting with the idea of changing careers for the past year.

Can anyone share their feedback about GEM? Also, does anyone know or is there anyone on here in their 30's with a family who could give me their feedback.

Would very much appreciate any feedback.

Hello :smile: Have you also considered the UKCAT-entry based courses? It's cheaper, generally considered easier to get a good score and takes a mere 2 hours as opposed to a hefty 5.5!
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply. I got a 2:2 in my law degree and didnt do any science subjects in my A-levels which more or less rules me out of most institutes that require the UKCAT exams :frown:

Unless anyone can enlighten me any different...
Reply 3
Thanks for the reply. I got a 2:2 in my law degree and didnt do any science subjects in my A-levels which more or less rules me out of most institutes that require the UKCAT exams :frown:

GAMSAT it is then! Nottingham and SGUL are your only choices. Don't think any other medical school accepts 2.2 degrees.

Ah okay, just checking. As above, Nottingham and SGUL are your chances really and yeah both are GAMSAT.

Whilst I did slightly flunk the GAMSAT this year on the science section, others seem to agree that a good AS/A-level textbook for each science is sufficient for preparation. Look at buying the cheap Griffith's review which talks you through all sections and gives you a list of science topics you should prepare for.

Just bear in mind it was written before they removed the calculator from the exam. Still very helpful for guidance, though, and very useful for the first two sections!
Reply 5
Original post by MattKneale
Ah okay, just checking. As above, Nottingham and SGUL are your chances really and yeah both are GAMSAT.

Whilst I did slightly flunk the GAMSAT this year on the science section, others seem to agree that a good AS/A-level textbook for each science is sufficient for preparation. Look at buying the cheap Griffith's review which talks you through all sections and gives you a list of science topics you should prepare for.

Just bear in mind it was written before they removed the calculator from the exam. Still very helpful for guidance, though, and very useful for the first two sections!

No calculator in exam *dies*. Thanks for the advice. Will sure look into it.
No calculator in exam *dies*. Thanks for the advice. Will sure look into it.

Don't worry, it's not as bad as I make out and in fact (even as someone who is comfortable with Maths) I think I found the non-calc questions this year easier than the calc +ve ones in the older practice material. It's just about spotting trends and knowing how different parts of an equation effect the overall output of the equation, rather than actually plugging them in and getting an exact number.

As a rule if you work on the equations with a calculator, you should still be okay so long as you see how changing one variable affects the output. :smile:

(P.S. it's only usually fairly simple formulae!)
If you are prepared to do a 5 year course, Exeter and Plymouth both accept the GAMSAT and don't look at your degree or A-levels.
Reply 8
Let's just discuss how someone manages to gain a second loan for uni after completing one degree that they're not going to pursue any further?
Original post by rival_
Let's just discuss how someone manages to gain a second loan for uni after completing one degree that they're not going to pursue any further?

Why shouldn't we be allowed to change our career plans? There are so many hoops to jump through to get onto a graduate entry scheme that the majoruty if applicants don't get accepted. And let's face it, doctors are one of the few professions that will actually manage to pay off their student loans. And what about the tax that doctors will pay. I think you'll find that negates any loan/grant received.

To the original poster, I was 40 when I started med school, I have three children and two stepchildren, so pm me if you want to ask anything. I've also been through GAMSAT and I may have some stuff to help you.
Reply 10
Original post by select the right name
Why shouldn't we be allowed to change our career plans? There are so many hoops to jump through to get onto a graduate entry scheme that the majoruty if applicants don't get accepted. And let's face it, doctors are one of the few professions that will actually manage to pay off their student loans. And what about the tax that doctors will pay. I think you'll find that negates any loan/grant received.

To the original poster, I was 40 when I started med school, I have three children and two stepchildren, so pm me if you want to ask anything. I've also been through GAMSAT and I may have some stuff to help you.

No one said you're not allowed to change your career path, it's just the short mater of that in 2013 going to a bank and asking for a second loan to do a second degree will/is a predicament.

Which medschool did you go to? ( If you don't mind me asking)
You shouldn't need to go to a bank to get a loan. It's financed through Student Finance.

I'm currently at Newcastle.
Reply 12
There are lots of people who do a 2nd degree. Infact, I have been told by many medics that they have left medicine to take up law. Does it really matter how I will be funding it?

Original post by rival_
Reply 13
I'm doing med as a 2nd degree (starting this sept hopefully) and doing the 5 year course so I need to pay fees and can't get a student loan to cover them as its a second degree.. The 4 year courses are a lot cheaper because you can get some of the fees paid and a NHS bursary.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rival_
No one said you're not allowed to change your career path, it's just the short mater of that in 2013 going to a bank and asking for a second loan to do a second degree will/is a predicament.

Which medschool did you go to? ( If you don't mind me asking)

We self fund the first £3500 for the first year, and Student Finance cover the rest. In further years it's entirely funded by a SF and, in the final year, you can get the NHS Bursary.

It's not a predicament.
Reply 15
Swansea also accepts a 2:2 if you also have a higher degree, like a Masters.
Reply 16
There are lots of people who do a 2nd degree. Infact, I have been told by many medics that they have left medicine to take up law. Does it really matter how I will be funding it?

It does to me, cause I don't know how I'm gonna do it but I will find a way.:wink:
Reply 17
Original post by MattKneale
We self fund the first £3500 for the first year, and Student Finance cover the rest. In further years it's entirely funded by a SF and, in the final year, you can get the NHS Bursary.

It's not a predicament.

That's a pretty sweet deal then.

(
Reply 18
seen as though you've already studied law i guess we have something in common. I am currently in my first year at leeds law school, but over this past year have really taken a keen interest in medicine and now have my heart set on applying for it in 2015. I understand law and medicine are two very different subjects and have not taken this decision lightly. At a-level i took no science related subjects ( i did do psychology, but don't know if it can be classed as a "science.") Seen as though i will be creating my ucas application at the end of my second year in 2014, i was thinking this would be a good time to start getting some work experience in a hospital, shadowing doctors etc. I am also thinking about buying the UKCAT and GAMSAT books and slowly start revising for the admission tests. because of the lack of my science related degree and no science a levels, i am interested in applying for uni's which do not require them e.g. St Georges London, Nottingham, Newcastle, Kings College London. My question to you today is basically, i know what kind of questions the UKCAT could throw up, but i'm completely baffled by the GAMSAT, therefore do have any advice on what the GAMSAT entails, and what is the best was to start revision for it?
Reply 19
Original post by rag19
seen as though you've already studied law i guess we have something in common. I am currently in my first year at leeds law school, but over this past year have really taken a keen interest in medicine and now have my heart set on applying for it in 2015. I understand law and medicine are two very different subjects and have not taken this decision lightly. At a-level i took no science related subjects ( i did do psychology, but don't know if it can be classed as a "science.") Seen as though i will be creating my ucas application at the end of my second year in 2014, i was thinking this would be a good time to start getting some work experience in a hospital, shadowing doctors etc. I am also thinking about buying the UKCAT and GAMSAT books and slowly start revising for the admission tests. because of the lack of my science related degree and no science a levels, i am interested in applying for uni's which do not require them e.g. St Georges London, Nottingham, Newcastle, Kings College London. My question to you today is basically, i know what kind of questions the UKCAT could throw up, but i'm completely baffled by the GAMSAT, therefore do have any advice on what the GAMSAT entails, and what is the best was to start revision for it?

Take a look at this: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/GAMSAT

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending