The Student Room Group

HMS Raleigh Basic Training questions

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kirsty...x
Thank you for your help! I know it's going to be hard, I just don't know how hard and I don't know how I am going to deal with it but I think it would be one of the biggest regrets I have if I didnt try. Is your boyfriend/ husband in the navy?

You won't know exactly how you will deal with it until the time comes, surround yourself with your friends, join clubs and sports at uni and keep yourself busy! The biggest problem is often having too much time to think about things and get down about them, but keep busy and keep your phone on you so that if he can contact you then you can chat to him, but if not then you have lots of wonderful things to keep you occupied- and all of your new uni friends will help cheer you up too! It is easy to almost lose yourself and start basing your time around someone in the forces because you kinda have to, their service dictates when they are free etc but keep in mind your goals and he will be just as supportive of yours as you are of his! It definitely is workable, and as long as he is worth it and the relationship means enough to ya then even though it is hard it will be worth it. My ex was in the navy, we were together a few months before he joined and remained together a few years or so while he was serving. I moved to uni in pompey to be closer to him, and turns out he had been sleeping with someone on the sports team I joined for the past year, amongst others! But since then I have been dating someone else in the navy since and he is amazing- so even when you hear horror stories and people telling you about how they all play about, don't listen! They are all in one service, but all different, and takes a lot for me to say that seen as though I got majorly screwed over :P When is assigned somewhere after training there are newsletters and visits for family and friends, I found when my current bf was deployed for 6 months keeping up to date with all of that helped as I got a better understanding of what he was up to.
Reply 21
Original post by RachelFiveee
You won't know exactly how you will deal with it until the time comes, surround yourself with your friends, join clubs and sports at uni and keep yourself busy! The biggest problem is often having too much time to think about things and get down about them, but keep busy and keep your phone on you so that if he can contact you then you can chat to him, but if not then you have lots of wonderful things to keep you occupied- and all of your new uni friends will help cheer you up too! It is easy to almost lose yourself and start basing your time around someone in the forces because you kinda have to, their service dictates when they are free etc but keep in mind your goals and he will be just as supportive of yours as you are of his! It definitely is workable, and as long as he is worth it and the relationship means enough to ya then even though it is hard it will be worth it. My ex was in the navy, we were together a few months before he joined and remained together a few years or so while he was serving. I moved to uni in pompey to be closer to him, and turns out he had been sleeping with someone on the sports team I joined for the past year, amongst others! But since then I have been dating someone else in the navy since and he is amazing- so even when you hear horror stories and people telling you about how they all play about, don't listen! They are all in one service, but all different, and takes a lot for me to say that seen as though I got majorly screwed over :P When is assigned somewhere after training there are newsletters and visits for family and friends, I found when my current bf was deployed for 6 months keeping up to date with all of that helped as I got a better understanding of what he was up to.

The 6 weeks is really bad timing, it is 2 days after I finish my A-levels exams which sucks but can't be helped. I wanna keep busy, hence why I am hoping to get a work placement so I am busy monday to friday at least :smile: I'm going to a uni 5 hours away from home to be close to him and everyone thinks I am stupid but the uni is such a good one too! Im sorry to hear about your ex, the douchebag! :frown: I'm glad you are happy with your new guy though :smile: I really want to make it work and I think my boyfriend does too, he's just not into talking about his feeling and all that so it is really hard to tell his view of things a lot of the time but he knows his mind and is so stubborn and I know he wouldnt be with me if he didnt want to :smile: its really good, knowing that people have gone through the same thing and that you are not on your own. Especially when nobody close to you has any idea what it is like!
Just to throw a spanner in the mix - apart from basic's he may be attached to a ship for up to a year - it will be a test of your relationship, I've seen couples thrive and some not so much - I think it will be a case of suck it and see.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Kirsty...x
Thank you for your help! I know it's going to be hard, I just don't know how hard and I don't know how I am going to deal with it but I think it would be one of the biggest regrets I have if I didnt try. Is your boyfriend/ husband in the navy?

Oh wow sorry this reply is really, really late haha so you probably won't see it but I'll reply anyway :smile: my ex was in the RN, when i was at uni in Pompey it was just about doable even though he was never alongside because of training etc. Decided to end it when I moved back home, it was just too hard to maintain a relationship- we were living hours apart at weekends and hours about during the week. Plus I will be honest, after living in Pompey for a few years I did start to lose trust a bit as seen what they are like! But had a lovely relationship so its all good. Hope everything went well for you!
Hi my boyfriend is passing out from Raleigh on 20th May. He is then wanting to go into engineering so would go to HMS Sultan. I was wondering how long will he have home before being sent to Sultan? Thanks
don't worry about it you'll be fine... just remember, there's always another cock to bounce on :smile: x

Quick Reply

Latest