The Student Room Group

HMS Raleigh Basic Training questions

Hi

My boyfriend is currently in Scotland doing part of his training and is doing his basic training at Raleigh starting the 23rd June. I've just been researching and stuff and wondered if anyone could help me?

Will he get weekend off?
If not, does that mean I won't be able to see him all summer?
Does anyone have any knowledge or in a similar situation?

I'm so happy for him but I go to university in September too and I'm worried its going to be really hard to make it work. I really want it to and not seeing him for a few days is hard enough never mind 10 weeks.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :smile:

Thanks in advance!

Scroll to see replies

When my boyfriend did it he was in Raleigh from June - sept until his passing out parade, then he got sent to a different base for 6months. He also had 3 weeks off in August but isn't come home at the weekends.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Ffijon
When my boyfriend did it he was in Raleigh from June - sept until his passing out parade, then he got sent to a different base for 6months. He also had 3 weeks off in August but isn't come home at the weekends.

His training is June to end of August i think, Wasn't he allowed to come home at weekends? How did you find it? X
Reply 3
It's very unlikely he'll get weekends off, certainly to begin with. Once out of Basic it's usually more free.

But it's only 10weeks. Once he's in and serving there will be months at a time when he's overseas and out of contact.

[If his training goes 'through' the set holiday periods (August, Xmas and - I think - Easter) then he'll get 3 weeks. If not, then no break]
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Drewski
It's very unlikely he'll get weekends off, certainly to begin with. Once out of Basic it's usually more free.

But it's only 10weeks. Once he's in and serving there will be months at a time when he's overseas and out of contact.

Yeah I know :/ the job he is going in for is more lad based though but I was just hoping I would get to see him over the summer
Original post by Kirsty...x
His training is June to end of August i think, Wasn't he allowed to come home at weekends? How did you find it? X

It was ok, I started going out with him in his summer leave.
It's fine! You just appreciate the time you have with him more.
im going away to uni too, it'll be good for you because your boyfriend will be under a lot of pressure to learn in the 6 months after he passes out.
youll be able to see each other at weekends, and you'll both be away from home so you'll probably bond after that.

My boyfriend was worried about me going away to uni, but I just said I have to cope with him going away for months at a time!

Once my boyfriend was away from me it made him realise how much he needed me lol, I guess distance makes the heart grow fonder :tongue:
Reply 6
Original post by Ffijon
It was ok, I started going out with him in his summer leave.
It's fine! You just appreciate the time you have with him more.
im going away to uni too, it'll be good for you because your boyfriend will be under a lot of pressure to learn in the 6 months after he passes out.
youll be able to see each other at weekends, and you'll both be away from home so you'll probably bond after that.

My boyfriend was worried about me going away to uni, but I just said I have to cope with him going away for months at a time!

Once my boyfriend was away from me it made him realise how much he needed me lol, I guess distance makes the heart grow fonder :tongue:

Ahh right, I'm just so used to seeing him, he's part of routine if you get me and he's been a big part of my life over last year, I'm hoping to go to a good university far away from home, it's closer to him but it is a very good university so I'm very excited and I plan to see him on weekends, it's just a big jump from seeing him every other day nearly to nothing. I over think everything and panic and get upset and everything haha
Ahh right, I'm just so used to seeing him, he's part of routine if you get me and he's been a big part of my life over last year, I'm hoping to go to a good university far away from home, it's closer to him but it is a very good university so I'm very excited and I plan to see him on weekends, it's just a big jump from seeing him every other day nearly to nothing. I over think everything and panic and get upset and everything haha

What uni are you going to? Yeah you're probably worrying too much, you'll be so busy at uni that you won't have time to worry about missing him :smile:

If he gets through Raleigh I recommend that you go to his passing of parade because it's going to be one of the most important days in his life, he'll never forget it :smile:
Reply 8

Do you know where he'll be based in 2/3 years time?
Reply 9
Original post by Drewski
Do you know where he'll be based in 2/3 years time?

Either Yeovil or culdrose, he's working on aircraft so it's going to be on one of those
Reply 10
Original post by Ffijon
What uni are you going to? Yeah you're probably worrying too much, you'll be so busy at uni that you won't have time to worry about missing him :smile:

If he gets through Raleigh I recommend that you go to his passing of parade because it's going to be one of the most important days in his life, he'll never forget it :smile:

Exeter :smile: as long as I like it when I visit next Tuesday :smile: it's 5 hours away from where I live though! Yeah I plan to :smile: I know I will busy at uni, I just hope our lives aren't too different that we grow apart... It's going to be summer that's the hardest an I think it's then that I'm worried for especially if he doesn't get weekend free, I'm hoping to get a work placement after my exams so I am kept busy
(edited 11 years ago)
Exeter :smile: as long as I like it when I visit next Tuesday :smile: it's 5 hours away from where I live though! Yeah I plan to :smile: I know I will busy at uni, I just hope our lives aren't too different that we grow apart... It's going to be summer that's the hardest an I think it's then that I'm worried for especially if he doesn't get weekend free, I'm hoping to get a work placement after my exams so I am kept busy

Yay! Well at least you have your work placement?

Ps my boyfriend is at Yeovilton :-)
oh and you'll get bored of hearing about helicopters lol.
Reply 12
If I get it, I've applied so fingers crossed, if he goes to yoevil I will only be an hour and a bit away so it would be ideal, culdrose is twice as far, it's really weird how things are going to all change, what university you going to?
If I get it, I've applied so fingers crossed, if he goes to yoevil I will only be an hour and a bit away so it would be ideal, culdrose is twice as far, it's really weird how things are going to all change, what university you going to?

Either UCL or Warwick. :smile:
so I'll be going further away from him, atm I live 20 mins from yeovilton :smile:

Youll be able to get the train from Exeter to Yeovil or if you get it to Taunton there's a bus to Yeovil which kinda goes past the base :smile: unless one of you two can drive then it's much easier!!

it'll be different but he'll be in a stable job where he can build a career in an interesting area :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Ffijon
Either UCL or Warwick. :smile:
so I'll be going further away from him, atm I live 20 mins from yeovilton :smile:

Youll be able to get the train from Exeter to Yeovil or if you get it to Taunton there's a bus to Yeovil which kinda goes past the base :smile: unless one of you two can drive then it's much easier!!

it'll be different but he'll be in a stable job where he can build a career in an interesting area :smile:

We can both drive and I'm taking my car to uni so I'm planning to drive to see him on weekends and visa versa, yeah don't get me wrong I think what he is doing is great and everything, there is just big changes in both of our lives! Was you not with your boyfriend for the 10 week basic training?
We can both drive and I'm taking my car to uni so I'm planning to drive to see him on weekends and visa versa, yeah don't get me wrong I think what he is doing is great and everything, there is just big changes in both of our lives! Was you not with your boyfriend for the 10 week basic training?

Didn't officially start our relationship until the August. But I was speaking to him the whole time he was at Raleigh, lots of phone calls.
Reply 16
Original post by Ffijon
Didn't officially start our relationship until the August. But I was speaking to him the whole time he was at Raleigh, lots of phone calls.

Ahh right fair enough, least its worked out for you :smile: I'm just so used to seeing him often and then it will go to nothing for all that time, but can't be helped I suppose :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by Ffijon

He has just told me that he has foun out from being at Scotland that he gets 4 week summer leave in August so that has made it much better :smile: but yeah he can't have leave during the weeks he is there, thanks for your help!
Nope, certainly for the first few weeks he will have to remain on base at weekends- this does change to allow people to travel home later into basic training, but some choose to stay to bond with the others in their intake and to rest, so don't count on him being back every weekend. Training is probably the easiest part in terms of being apart, you know where he is going and how long for etc, the real trying part is when he is in the fleet. Although he is going to be going in as an engineer working on aircraft, some do get drafted to Portsmouth, Plymouth etc to work on the aircraft on the ships, and remember they are more likely to visit the sandy places for 6 months or so as well. Life is hard going out with someone in the forces, they essentially have to put the Navy first, and alter their whole lifestyle to answer the needs of the service. Of course it can work if you both want it to, but just be prepared for a lot of seperation, sometimes going a while with little to no contact, not being able to plan for the future as easily due to drafts, and he himself might change a bit. As long as you both trust each other, that is the main thing.

That does sound negative and I don't mean it to, there are also lots of wonderful things such as swelling with pride when you attend his passing out parade or he recieves operational medals, longish periods of leave when the service allows- alot get a few weeks off over holidays as long as they are not on duty etc, and if he gets deployed on a ship they get subsidided so they can fly you out to somewhere like Dubai half way through (in lieu of the R and R granted to the army and RAF on operational tours I imagine) for a week. Just be prepared and realistic I am suggesting, because if all of this sinks in whilst he is away it will be harder to deal with, wheras both knowing the deal and implications straight from the outset will make you both stronger. Good luck, it is totally workable, just be prepared to be second in his life in some ways- and not through his own choice.
Reply 19
Original post by RachelFiveee
Nope, certainly for the first few weeks he will have to remain on base at weekends- this does change to allow people to travel home later into basic training, but some choose to stay to bond with the others in their intake and to rest, so don't count on him being back every weekend. Training is probably the easiest part in terms of being apart, you know where he is going and how long for etc, the real trying part is when he is in the fleet. Although he is going to be going in as an engineer working on aircraft, some do get drafted to Portsmouth, Plymouth etc to work on the aircraft on the ships, and remember they are more likely to visit the sandy places for 6 months or so as well. Life is hard going out with someone in the forces, they essentially have to put the Navy first, and alter their whole lifestyle to answer the needs of the service. Of course it can work if you both want it to, but just be prepared for a lot of seperation, sometimes going a while with little to no contact, not being able to plan for the future as easily due to drafts, and he himself might change a bit. As long as you both trust each other, that is the main thing.

That does sound negative and I don't mean it to, there are also lots of wonderful things such as swelling with pride when you attend his passing out parade or he recieves operational medals, longish periods of leave when the service allows- alot get a few weeks off over holidays as long as they are not on duty etc, and if he gets deployed on a ship they get subsidided so they can fly you out to somewhere like Dubai half way through (in lieu of the R and R granted to the army and RAF on operational tours I imagine) for a week. Just be prepared and realistic I am suggesting, because if all of this sinks in whilst he is away it will be harder to deal with, wheras both knowing the deal and implications straight from the outset will make you both stronger. Good luck, it is totally workable, just be prepared to be second in his life in some ways- and not through his own choice.

Thank you for your help! I know it's going to be hard, I just don't know how hard and I don't know how I am going to deal with it but I think it would be one of the biggest regrets I have if I didnt try. Is your boyfriend/ husband in the navy?

Quick Reply

Latest