The Student Room Group

Maintenance Grant - Self supporting!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by OU Student
No. Else you'd have most people on 4 or 5 year courses claiming to be independent when applying for their 4th year.

It still seems perfectly reasonable if you have no assistance from your parents in the first 3 years.
Reply 41
Original post by Juno
It is not quoted in the regulations. Seriously, try reading em - you might learn something. If you earn less than £7500 the SLC cannot turn you down flat - they can question you more to see if you were actually self supporting, or were living off parents etc and then use those answers to turn you down.

But £7500 is not mentioned in The Education (Student Support) Regulations which is the document used.

I think it's been covered already, but as I said, SFE said that was the easiest way. The person I spoke to did actually say of you have earned less than £7500 to still apply but they may need to seek further information. For the sake of practicality, it is useful to know what SFE are saying and what the easiest way to prove financial independence from parents, and if we are all being told that the £7500 is a standard base figure (but not exclusive) then it is useful to pass that information on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 42
Original post by euphful
I think it's been covered already, but as I said, SFE said that was the easiest way. The person I spoke to did actually say of you have earned less than £7500 to still apply but they may need to seek further information. For the sake of practicality, it is useful to know what SFE are saying and what the easiest way to prove financial independence from parents, and if we are all being told that the £7500 is a standard base figure (but not exclusive) then it is useful to pass that information on.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It was be useful if it was actually true. It isn't. You might as well go round saying the earth is flat.

Sent from my GT-S5363
Reply 43
Original post by Juno
It was be useful if it was actually true. It isn't. You might as well go round saying the earth is flat.

Sent from my GT-S5363

But it is true insofar as a) I have official correspondence from SFE relating to the matter which says it is true b) I have had the conversation with an advisor from SFE and c) others have had similar experiences. You'll forgive me for being inclined to believe those at SFE considering they're the ones making the decision, and you're the one acting like a petulant child arguing that night was day and that black was white.

If you're currently undergoing an SFE application I wish you all the best, there's nothing further to say.

Good luck everyone :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 44
Original post by euphful
But it is true insofar as a) I have official correspondence from SFE relating to the matter which says it is true b) I have had the conversation with an advisor from SFE and c) others have had similar experiences. You'll forgive me for being inclined to believe those at SFE considering they're the ones making the decision, and you're the one acting like a petulant child arguing that night was day and that black was white.

If you're currently undergoing an SFE application I wish you all the best, there's nothing further to say.

Good luck everyone :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

This post just shows complete ignorance of everything. Thanks for wising me well for my application, but if you knew anything about me you'd know I don't need it - I'm on TSR because I give advice. And to quote many people, I give flipping amazing advice. It doesn't actually bother me if you choose not to believe me - I know I'm right, and the thousands of people I have helped also know that. And there will be thousands more people I will help in the future, but you won't be one of them.

If you do need any help with your application, you'll need to read the student support regulations. And when you do, you'll see I'm right too :smile:
Reply 45
Original post by Juno
This post just shows complete ignorance of everything. Thanks for wising me well for my application, but if you knew anything about me you'd know I don't need it - I'm on TSR because I give advice. And to quote many people, I give flipping amazing advice. It doesn't actually bother me if you choose not to believe me - I know I'm right, and the thousands of people I have helped also know that. And there will be thousands more people I will help in the future, but you won't be one of them.

If you do need any help with your application, you'll need to read the student support regulations. And when you do, you'll see I'm right too :smile:

It's okay, I've sought help from those at SFE... You know, the experts... And by the looks of it, most other people who follow their requirements seem to do okay, so I'll stick with them...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 46
Original post by euphful
It's okay, I've sought help from those at SFE... You know, the experts... And by the looks of it, most other people who follow their requirements seem to do okay, so I'll stick with them...

Posted from TSR Mobile

The experts who follow the exact same regulations as I've told you to read, which don't mention a £7500 figure anywhere...

Don't bother replying. You're on my ignore list.
Reply 47
Original post by Juno
The experts who follow the exact same regulations as I've told you to read, which don't mention a £7500 figure anywhere...

Don't bother replying. You're on my ignore list.

If they followed that, why do I have an email stating 'evidence proving earnings of £7500 or over each year for three years is the recommended method' from someone in the employ of SFE? Why have I been told that on numerous occasions by advisers over the phone, and why have other people been told that figure too? Are we all sharing some kind of Inception-like dream?

The idea that you know because you've read the regulations is really quite quaint. However, as already stated, I'm more inclined to believe the official correspondence that I have from people ACTUALLY in the know from Student Finance England.

Reply if you feel the need; if I were you I'd have given up a few posts back.

:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by euphful
If they followed that, why do I have an email stating 'evidence proving earnings of £7500 or over each year for three years is the recommended method' from someone in the employ of SFE?

It says recommended. You are aware what that means, right?
Reply 49
Original post by OU Student
It says recommended. You are aware what that means, right?

Absolutely- and I think in one of my previous posts I alluded to that point when I said I was told that earnings under £7500 aren't necessarily a bar... I'm sure I said that; I can see it on my phone as having said that, but maybe you didn't read that far back :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 50
Euph, don't bother - some people will never backtrack when they have an ego to protect! Looks like we did fine!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 51
Need some advice guys!
Im 19, and was thrown out of my parental home 2 months ago and am now renting a room in a house. Im now applying for student finance and really need some advice on what route i should take in getting this.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

xx
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 52
Original post by lsewilson
I'm in exactly the same situation! They've posted me a declaration to sign so my application has obviously been processed, but there's no mention of a grant on my breakdown, and the loan doesn't even cover my rent! I'm hoping it's just because I need to sign the declaration, and once it's official it will be added on - but it's very worrying! This is the first year I've declared myself financially independent, and it's my final year so I need the extra cash for travel to my placement!

So you can declare yourself finanancly independent part way through your degree? I've been financially I dependent for the past three years (I'm 21) but didnt earn over the threshold? that SFE have set (which is ludicrous as my jobs include accommodation and food) so have to use my parents income even bough I haven't lived at home since I was 18. They really allow you to include Being a student as being financially independent?
Original post by Martshi3
So you can declare yourself finanancly independent part way through your degree? I've been financially I dependent for the past three years (I'm 21) but didnt earn over the threshold? that SFE have set (which is ludicrous as my jobs include accommodation and food) so have to use my parents income even bough I haven't lived at home since I was 18. They really allow you to include Being a student as being financially independent?

No they don't. Your initial assessment circumstances stay with you throughout your course. You cannot become independent part way through.
Original post by balotelli12
No they don't. Your initial assessment circumstances stay with you throughout your course. You cannot become independent part way through.

Er, surely you can if you also worked during your degree?:s-smilie:

What you're saying makes no sense at all.
That's how SFE work sadly. I don't make the regs just pass them on! It makes perfect sense, otherwise every student doing a 4 year course would be classed as independent in their last year. And they aren't.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending