The Student Room Group

Opinion on my BTEC Grade

I'm currently in my last year in college, studying BTEC Business. I'm predicted three distinctions but I think I will get a distinction* and two distinctions (D*DD).
I want to get opinions from A-Level and BTEC students alike to see if they think these grades hold the same weight as their supposed equivalent, which is A*AA when using UCAS point guidelines.

My GCSEs were also abysmal at 4 Ds 1B 4Cs and 1E.

Do you think they are worth the same amount?
Do you think they are equally as challenging?

Bare in mind two of my classmates have received offers at Kings College and one has an offer from Southampton Uni. Both conditional offers requiring DDD.
Reply 1
If you are going into a course that is direct from your BTEC (so a business degree) then yes, they would be considered the same as A levels. Otherwise, a uni would probably prefer certain A levels. Although some A levels are considered "soft", so you would probably be in a better position than those taking 3 of these.

I have never done BTEC, and my A levels are maths, further maths and physics, (so it isn't a very good comparison), but I'd probably say the A level is harder, due to the range of subjects and topics. Although BTEC are constant work. A*AA is incredibly difficult at A level (But, one again, it might be just as hard as BTEC, I do not know).
Reply 2
Original post by alexh42
I'm currently in my last year in college, studying BTEC Business. I'm predicted three distinctions but I think I will get a distinction* and two distinctions (D*DD).
I want to get opinions from A-Level and BTEC students alike to see if they think these grades hold the same weight as their supposed equivalent, which is A*AA when using UCAS point guidelines.

My GCSEs were also abysmal at 4 Ds 1B 4Cs and 1E.

Do you think they are worth the same amount?
Do you think they are equally as challenging?

Bare in mind two of my classmates have received offers at Kings College and one has an offer from Southampton Uni. Both conditional offers requiring DDD.

1) They are equivalent to A levels, but here is the important bit: they are not A levels. It's like looking at somebody who has a ton of gold, and somebody else who has a ton of silver. They both have the same weighting, but that does not mean they are the same in standard. Many high ranking unis will look down on Btec because of this, but others do not. So yes they are worth the same, but are not of the same standard (if you follow my drift)
2) So this follows on from one, yes Btecs are a challange and nobody can dispute that. But some A levels such as Maths are going to be far more academically challanging than a Btec such a Public Services.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending