The Student Room Group

What type of polymer is Nylon?

A past paper in chemistry asked me what type of polymer is nylon.
I wrote "synthetic" but the answer was "condensation"!
What is a condensation polymer???
Reply 1
Two main types of polymerisation at school level;

a) addition polymerisation

the units making the polymer continuously just add upon another unit of the monomer. i.e. alkenes forming poly(alkene) => unsaturation to saturation

b) condensation polymerisation

usually a by-product, water is formed and the two units that come together have lost "something" - i like to think that their structure has been condensed hence that way, but yeah, the idea was as I explained it previously. obviously with polymerisation, these monomer units that come together usually have the same functionality on both sides of the monomer.

i.e. alcohol + carboxylic acid --> esters + water

diols + dicarboxylic acid---> polyesters (possibly) + water
thanks
Reply 3
Original post by shengoc
Two main types of polymerisation at school level;

a) addition polymerisation

the units making the polymer continuously just add upon another unit of the monomer. i.e. alkenes forming poly(alkene) => unsaturation to saturation

b) condensation polymerisation

usually a by-product, water is formed and the two units that come together have lost "something" - i like to think that their structure has been condensed hence that way, but yeah, the idea was as I explained it previously. obviously with polymerisation, these monomer units that come together usually have the same functionality on both sides of the monomer.

i.e. alcohol + carboxylic acid --> esters + water

diols + dicarboxylic acid---> polyesters (possibly) + water

In fact there is ALWAYS a by-product which 'condenses' hence the name for the polymer type, just a point of interest

Quick Reply

Latest