The Student Room Group

Should I move University?

I currently almost finished my first year at Edinburgh Napier University, however it was not my first choice and I am dubious whether a degree from this university will lead to good employment prospects.

I am studying a BEng in Civil Engineering. I have an offer from Heriot Watt to progress into second year there providing I achieve an average of 60% in my first year here, which I'm well on track for obtaining. This was for both BEng Civil Engibeering and BEng Structural Engineering.

I also have three other options pending: BEng Civil Engineering and BEng Structural and Fire Safety at Edinburgh University, and a BEng in Civil Engineering at Dundee University.

Should I stay at my current university or move if I can? If so, where to? I'm very unsure about my situation

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 1
Very unsure of what to do

Reply 2
Original post by dmcboi
Very unsure of what to do

are you enjoying your time there? If you are then stay and enjoy yourself finish your degree there xD If you are not enjoying yourself and your not happy with your choice then change universities but focus on getting a good grade.
Reply 3
Original post by a10
are you enjoying your time there? If you are then stay and enjoy yourself finish your degree there xD If you are not enjoying yourself and your not happy with your choice then change universities but focus on getting a good grade.

I am enjoying myself but I feel this is because of the course rather than the uni, I'm really just trying to think of what's best for my future here but I'm unsure if the difference between unis for my course is big or small in terms of employment and reputation

Reply 4
Original post by dmcboi
I am enjoying myself but I feel this is because of the course rather than the uni, I'm really just trying to think of what's best for my future here but I'm unsure if the difference between unis for my course is big or small in terms of employment and reputation

The course will be virtually identical only difference may be certain links with industry may differ from uni to uni. The university you went to doesn't really matter as much as people think so do what you think is best for you. You sound like ur really enjoying ur course so I would personally just continue as its quite a hassle transferring unis and also can be hard to adjust but if its something you feel is appropriate then go for it bro :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by a10
The course will be virtually identical only difference may be certain links with industry may differ from uni to uni. The university you went to doesn't really matter as much as people think so do what you think is best for you. You sound like ur really enjoying ur course so I would personally just continue as its quite a hassle transferring unis and also can be hard to adjust but if its something you feel is appropriate then go for it bro :smile:

So basically I should contact different companies and see what they think?

Reply 6
Original post by dmcboi
So basically I should contact different companies and see what they think?

yup :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest