The Student Room Group

Η Ελληνική Κοινωνία

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Hmm, I can read ancient greek but it's pretty different from modern day greek isn't it?
Reply 101
lol I know ouzoand malakas:p: the rest I will learn:p: but I'm Cyriot, got the passport to prove it so I belong:p:

@apolo really don't know the diff never took greek LM can u asnwer the nice mod dude?
Reply 102
apollo, modern greek is just a simplified version of ancient greek
lc, sorry but if u dont know all the words it is difficult to have a conversation in greek :P
Reply 103
:frown: I know which is why I joined the soc so LM can teach me the rest:p: greek's my 4th language so you have to pardon me:p:
cypriot greek is more closely related to Attic Greek is it not?
earthredalert89
cypriot greek is more closely related to Attic Greek is it not?

It is. Apparently it's because being an island, and being all isolated, they didn't have the opportunity to you know - modernise the dialect. Also, because of the constant invasions (Venetians, Turks, French etc) they have many many foreign words which the demotic Greek doesn't have.

Hurrah for the Cypriot dialect!
~Lc~
:frown: I know which is why I joined the soc so LM can teach me the rest:p: greek's my 4th language so you have to pardon me:p:

Lol - I think anyone brave enough to tackle the Greek language should have all the help required. I don't know how to go about teaching it though...maybe people here can ask for phrases and we can translate?

Xania mou, fainete oti esy eisai o monos allos ellinofonas edo mesa....tha voithas kai esy? Any ideas?
Reply 107
hehe oka to prove I understood that you told xania:

since your the only on in here, would you help me?:biggrin: see I know some greek:wink:

eksero Ellivika allah 8en eive kala (if that's how u spell it:p: )
~Lc~
hehe oka to prove I understood that you told xania:

since your the only on in here, would you help me?:biggrin: see I know some greek:wink:

eksero Ellivika allah 8en eive kala (if that's how u spell it:p: )

You understood 99% of it :smile: I told him that since he's the only native speaker in here, would he help me :p:

Mia xara tha einai ta ellinika sou, otan sou ta mathoume :smile:
Reply 109
efxaristo:smile: tee vakamvo topa? bapkoume:p: (that means I'm bored right?)
Well to be honest i do want to learn a new language...I'm already learning Arabic and German. Greek sounds like a fun language.
luton666
Well to be honest i do want to learn a new language...I'm already learning Arabic and German. Greek sounds like a fun language.

I want to learn Arabic!!! It sounds so awesome :p:

Greek is a fun language :smile: But how do we start? Do you know how to read the alphabet at least?

Lc mou, you make me proud :smile:
Reply 112
:biggrin: Les Meserables mou so do you:wink: hehe
and I'm teaching luton arabic:smile: and no he dsnt know anything barely knows the english alphabet:rofl:

teaching this one is gnna be hard:p:
Les_Miserables
I want to learn Arabic!!! It sounds so awesome :p:

Greek is a fun language :smile: But how do we start? Do you know how to read the alphabet at least?

Lc mou, you make me proud :smile:

I know some letters....but they are from church and probably of no use watsoever.

I can read the alphabet thank you very much Lc
Reply 114
:biggrin: sure you do luton:wink:

:party: we made the thread go to 6 pages:smile: woohooo
Reply 115
Les_Miserables
It is.Apparently it's because being an island, and being all isolated, they didn't have the opportunity to you know - modernise the dialect. Also, because of the constant invasions (Venetians, Turks, French etc) they have many many foreign words which the demotic Greek doesn't have.

Hurrah for the Cypriot dialect!

Cretan greek is much more closer to ancient greek than cypriot
lm na voi8isw k egw :smile:
xania7
Cretan greek is much more closer to ancient greek than cypriot
lm na voi8isw k egw :smile:

Exei polli plaka na akouo ta paidia apo tin kriti na milane ellinika - me kanei na niotho oti eimai piso spiti mou...:smile: Latrevo tin dialekto...kai episis latrevo ta prosopa ton athineon otan mas vlepoun na milame hehehehe

That aside, it makes me SO HAPPY to see this forum being used...*sniffs*

Anyway. And it's all thanks to your valuable efforts, Lc, Xania and Luton. Who I am sure will pick up the Greek alphabet in no time at all :p:

OK, Luton buddy, you are going to have to learn the Greek alphabet like the back of your hand if you're going to make any progress in the language. Maybe you want to start with this site... http://www.ilearngreek.com/lessons/alphabet.L1.asp - quite useful.

Once you've mastered it, we can probably move on to phrases...:p:

Lc, we'll just have to be patient, won't we? :p:
Reply 117
greek alphabet lol
im a 1st yr mathematician and i find it very funny when my tutors and profesors use greek letters with a different accent that is commonly accepted everywhere except greece :P
examples β beta / vita μ mu/mi π pie/pi τ tau/taf χ chai/hi etc
xania7
greek alphabet lol
im a 1st yr mathematician and i find it very funny when my tutors and profesors use greek letters with a different accent that is commonly accepted everywhere except greece :P
examples β beta / vita μ mu/mi π pie/pi τ tau/taf χ chai/hi etc

I know! I had a Physics teacher once who wrote beautiful Greek letters, but....no Greek in his right mind would ever write like that. Like he used to put a beautiful curl on the end of the ρ (rho), and make lovely curly π letters...ah, calligraphy. Just not...Greek :p: And they're so proud of themselves for knowing....

On a different tangent (no pun intended), being a first year mathematician (at Oxford!) takes brains. And you make the Greek population proud :smile: Mbravo...!
Les_Miserables
Exei polli plaka na akouo ta paidia apo tin kriti na milane ellinika - me kanei na niotho oti eimai piso spiti mou...:smile: Latrevo tin dialekto...kai episis latrevo ta prosopa ton athineon otan mas vlepoun na milame hehehehe

That aside, it makes me SO HAPPY to see this forum being used...*sniffs*

Anyway. And it's all thanks to your valuable efforts, Lc, Xania and Luton. Who I am sure will pick up the Greek alphabet in no time at all :p:

OK, Luton buddy, you are going to have to learn the Greek alphabet like the back of your hand if you're going to make any progress in the language. Maybe you want to start with this site... http://www.ilearngreek.com/lessons/alphabet.L1.asp - quite useful.

Once you've mastered it, we can probably move on to phrases...:p:

Lc, we'll just have to be patient, won't we? :p:

Quick Reply

Latest