The Student Room Group

Help with choosing firm university!! Sheffield|Loughborough|Birmingha m

I've applied and received offers to do Psychology at Sheffield AAB, Birmingham AAB, Loughborough ABB, Nottingham Trent BBB and Sheffield Hallam BBC.

I had originally decided to put Sheffield as my firm then hallam as my insurance which then swapped to Sheffield firm and Loughborough insurance and now I've been thinking of putting Loughborough as my firm and hallam as my insurance.. If that all made sense :P

My predicted grades are ABB and I am pretty much on target to get that. I like Loughborough but its really close to me (I live in Nottingham) and I don't like how small the town is there but I do love the campus and the unions really good etc. But I really feel like I want to go to a bigger city and go further away so that would mean putting either sheffield or birmingham as my firm but I feel thats quite risky as getting AAB would be quite a tall order, but I could possibly do it I think as at AS I got a middle B in the exam and two marks off an A in my coursework and my A2 coursework looks like i've pretty much got an A in that.

Basically what would you do?

How risky do you think it is to put sheff or birm as my firm if I did get ABB that they wouldn't accept me? I know psychologys really popular and Sheffields particularly good at it too so would it be better to go for Birmingham but they want AAA-AAB which may mean they get more AAA applicants?!

Please help im really unsure of what to do!? :confused: :colondollar:
Reply 1
Original post by SJH128
I've applied and received offers to do Psychology at Sheffield AAB, Birmingham AAB, Loughborough ABB, Nottingham Trent BBB and Sheffield Hallam BBC.

I had originally decided to put Sheffield as my firm then hallam as my insurance which then swapped to Sheffield firm and Loughborough insurance and now I've been thinking of putting Loughborough as my firm and hallam as my insurance.. If that all made sense :P

My predicted grades are ABB and I am pretty much on target to get that. I like Loughborough but its really close to me (I live in Nottingham) and I don't like how small the town is there but I do love the campus and the unions really good etc. But I really feel like I want to go to a bigger city and go further away so that would mean putting either sheffield or birmingham as my firm but I feel thats quite risky as getting AAB would be quite a tall order, but I could possibly do it I think as at AS I got a middle B in the exam and two marks off an A in my coursework and my A2 coursework looks like i've pretty much got an A in that.

Basically what would you do?

How risky do you think it is to put sheff or birm as my firm if I did get ABB that they wouldn't accept me? I know psychologys really popular and Sheffields particularly good at it too so would it be better to go for Birmingham but they want AAA-AAB which may mean they get more AAA applicants?!

Please help im really unsure of what to do!? :confused: :colondollar:

I don't know if this will help you make up your mind, but Sheffield Hallam and Nottingham Trent both used to be polytechnics.

Polytechnics used to run courses that were more towards training, and universities more academic courses. My feeling is that if you prefer for your degree to be viewed as an academic degree you would do well to avoid ex polytechnics.

Wikipedia is a very valuable resource for finding out which universities used to be polytechnics.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending