The Student Room Group

Economy, Sociology etc in Medical School

Hi :smile:

I have a question about medical school curriculum, especially in the UK and USA, but might also refer to other countries.

Do you happen to know any medical school that has at least one of these involved in the curriculum as a separate subject (might also be as some kind of integrated BSc or anything like this)

-psychology
-sociology
-economics
-finance
-managment
-accountancy

I can't find any reliable info on the Internet. Maybe one of you could help?
Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by ollexandra
Hi :smile:

I have a question about medical school curriculum, especially in the UK and USA, but might also refer to other countries.

Do you happen to know any medical school that has at least one of these involved in the curriculum as a separate subject (might also be as some kind of integrated BSc or anything like this)

-psychology
-sociology
-economics
-finance
-managment
-accountancy

I can't find any reliable info on the Internet. Maybe one of you could help?
Thanks!

Sociology, psychology and ethics in particular are covered as part of the standard med school curriculum in the UK. They may be integrated with other modules or may be modules in their own right.

Depending on your med school, you might also be able to pick SSMs or an intercalated BSc based around one of those subjects too :smile:

Regarding subjects like finance or management...those aren't covered on the curriculum but some med schools allow you to do an iBSc in anything...so it might still be possible to get a degree in one of those subjects. But it would be unusual.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Thank you very much! Maybe anyone else has something? I would really appreciate it. I need it for my friend who is writing some paper on the integration of those areas of study.
Original post by ollexandra
Thank you very much! Maybe anyone else has something? I would really appreciate it. I need it for my friend who is writing some paper on the integration of those areas of study.

Imperial do a Management iBSc. I know Kings do a Psychology iBSc.

You're going to struggle to find out if schools do any of those as SSMs as they don't typically publish module choice lists publicly, plus students can often design their own.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending