The Student Room Group

3 and a half years for setting someone on fire

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by SillyEddy
Of course I went to highschool, but I was never doused and set on fire. I know some who were burnt/partially set alight by other students out of hatred though. I still don't think there's really any "nice" way of doing that to someone.

This behaviour obviously wasn't nice. It was intended maliciously, noone could deny that. But malicious is different to murderous.

There is absolutely no point treating someone who is actually a stupid, yobbish bully but did not intend serious harm, the same as someone who deliberately tried to kill in a psychopathic way. They aren't the same and you can't change the past with all the vengeance in the world.

The best outcome would be for this youth to learn about Steven, why he was a human being deserving of compassion not mockery or contempt, about the terrible thing that they did to him, about bullying and why it is unacceptable, and about true remorse and taking responsibility for their actions. As well as to face justice, but to be able to come out of that justice at the end, with lessons learnt. Lessons for everyone who is involved in similar malicious/abusive or dangerous behaviour even when (as in the majority of cases) it "gets away" without a tragedy like this happening.

Ultimately, money being spent (not that it works this way :frown: ) on a "Steven fund" which helps people to understand who Steven was, to empathise with him, and see what led to his death (attitudes, bullying, risk-taking with fire) would be the better spent than the huge cost of keeping someone in prison (not only their expenses, but being kept out of the economy) for extra years. That would be a true "victim-centered" response to this crime, and probably do the most to change the factors that lead to deaths like this.

But people only seem to want to spend money increasing sentences, increasing punishment, to achieve very little but some kind of grim satisfaction. The fact is the perpetrator will probably come out of prison with worse attitude, worse prospects and more propensity for crime, and that's as it is. Certainly a murder sentence for a non-intentional killing would achieve nothing but further loss.

EDIT: If I was dictator Pigling deciding the justice in this case I would have the perpetrator (and other guilty parties involved) work (perhaps from a prison setting) directly on and to raise money for a "Steven" project in which they themselves as well as other youths with potentially similar attitudes to vulnerable adults would learn about Steven, his life, his family, other adults like him, his value and what has been lost, and use techniques to reduce and reverse the attitudes behind what happened; as well as learning about physical boundaries, non-violence and having a basic understanding of fire danger. But meh I'm a namby-pamby liberal so.
(edited 11 years ago)
We had a dily mail article written about some stuff we did at uni and it made it sound so much worse than it actually was, I doubt it was as bad as they make it sound.

It says in the article: 'Steven Simpson didn't object to being covered in oil. He seemed to be enjoying the situation'. I can imagine it happening, people putting oil on him, everybody is having a laugh. Then someone jokingly says 'set him on fire' and without thinking a pissed up person actually does it.

I wouldn't have thought tanning spray would be that flammable.

I doubt the guy is against gays with a hairstly like that.
Original post by arichmond64
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2297053/Yob-killed-autistic-teenager-setting-18th-birthday-party-teasing-gay.html

Is there any legal students etc. out there, who can please explain to me how a judge, can give someone just 3 and a half years in jail for this?

What is going on!:angry:

This is my hometown and I knew the guy personally! He used to come into where I worked on a Sunday at 3pm without fail.. And when I heard what had happened I felt sick to the stomach! He was obviously bullied beyond belief! He was a prime target and had been bullied for years.. :frown: it's disgusting, and many people in Barnsley would happily give Jordan what he deserves! He's a coward for running and away and murdering a great young man!

RIP :frown:
Reply 43
This is one of those times I wish people got what they did as a punishment back so they know how it feels.
Original post by Hippysnake
I'm really lost for words. What kind of democracy do we live in? Three and a half years for deep-frying a helpless lonely man?

Hopefully he'll drop the soap in the shower a couple of times and he'll see what's what.

How does a poor sentence make us less of a democracy?
Reply 45
So, now person's life is worth 3 years? There should be law: Life for a life.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending