The Student Room Group

Exam Technique Help

Hello, everyone! I am in my 2nd year of a Doctorate in Counselling Psychology and have been teaching English and Psychology (all levels) for 13 years now! I also set up the EPQ project in my last school. If anyone has questions on these areas, feel free to contact me. :smile: Ariana
Reply 1
Original post by ArianaJordan
Hello, everyone! I am in my 2nd year of a Doctorate in Counselling Psychology and have been teaching English and Psychology (all levels) for 13 years now! I also set up the EPQ project in my last school. If anyone has questions on these areas, feel free to contact me. :smile: Ariana
hi, i'm preparing for my final exam of higher secondary school. i've been revising my subjects but once i get stuck in a problem(like physics or maths) then i get all distracted and irritated. i feel my whole day has gone to waste. though i still have a month long preparation leave, i dont think i can prepare well in this condition .can you please help on how to get rid of this irritation?
Reply 2
Original post by aachal
hi, i'm preparing for my final exam of higher secondary school. i've been revising my subjects but once i get stuck in a problem(like physics or maths) then i get all distracted and irritated. i feel my whole day has gone to waste. though i still have a month long preparation leave, i dont think i can prepare well in this condition .can you please help on how to get rid of this irritation?

Hi. I'm sorry to hear the difficulties you are having with your revision. I can imagine it must be very frustrating. Without knowing anything about your background, it's difficult to some up in a nutshell what may be happening for you, but it seems that, put simply, you are being too hard on yourself for some reason. We all get 'stuck' at various points on a daily basis and the key is to be accepting of that and be able to move past it. The thoughts that are coming in to your head when this happens are unhelpful and you need to recognise what it is that you are telling yourself and think of a more helpful way of looking at it. When you say "The whole day has gone to waste", we call this catastrophising, and instead, you could recognise that being 'stuck' is only temporary, and that you have the rest of the day to make good use of. Next time this happens, try to listen to what is going through your mind and replace that unhelpful thought with something more helpful - what could you do to help you understand better this particular problem that you are stuck on? Hope this helps. Best wishes, Ariana
Reply 3
:hello:Thank you so much for the suggestion. i'm really happy that i could open up and you replied to me..:smile:.i'll follow your suggestion.well, the thing is, sometimes when i concentrate on a particular problem for quite a long time i get the solution and that makes me happy but sometimes when i don't get a small problem which carries little marks in exam(even after thinking about it for a long time) i feel like i've wasted my time....i think that if you are not crystal clear on a subject what's the use of studying.that is why i try my best to get each and every thing.during the course i used to study less because of tv series and now i'm regretting it.
also i want to pursue my higher studies on mechatronics engineering but feel like i cant though i'm not such a pessimist . but sometimes these thoughts come to my mind.:pingu:
Reply 4
Best not to get distracted. If you get stuck with something, put it aside for later help from a tutor, teacher or friend and move on to the next bit of study.
Hi. I really dont mind working hard for my exam to the point that sometimes i think in being mean to myself. But sometimes i doubt my capability especially after getting my AS result. Any tips so that i won't feel inferior and just keep moving forward?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by aachal
:hello:Thank you so much for the suggestion. i'm really happy that i could open up and you replied to me..:smile:.i'll follow your suggestion.well, the thing is, sometimes when i concentrate on a particular problem for quite a long time i get the solution and that makes me happy but sometimes when i don't get a small problem which carries little marks in exam(even after thinking about it for a long time) i feel like i've wasted my time....i think that if you are not crystal clear on a subject what's the use of studying.that is why i try my best to get each and every thing.during the course i used to study less because of tv series and now i'm regretting it.
also i want to pursue my higher studies on mechatronics engineering but feel like i cant though i'm not such a pessimist . but sometimes these thoughts come to my mind.:pingu:

It sounds like you are a perfectionist - which is good in some ways because it means you put a lot of effort in to everything you do, and no doubt often achieve excellent results. The downside is that perfectionists tend to set their expectations too high - "If you are not crystal clear on a subject, what's the use of studying?" Thinking in this way can only lead to a sense of loss & disappointment, as in reality, life in itself is a learning process. Wouldn't it be dull if we understood everything all the time?! It's also unrealistic to expect to always have all the answers. Instead, accept that no matter how hard you try to learn everything & prepare (in life generally), there will be times when you will be 'stuck', and that's ok. It's normal! :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by jellybeansnkmk
Hi. I really dont mind working hard for my exam to the point that sometimes i think in being mean to myself. But sometimes i doubt my capability especially after getting my AS result. Any tips so that i won't feel inferior and just keep moving forward?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi. :smile: With A Levels especially, your grade is so much down to sheer hard work in preparation but also, most importantly, exam technique. If you feel you are putting in a lot of effort but then get a poor result, it could just be your technique, which you can do something about for the upcoming exams. What A Levels are you studying? Ariana.
Hi. :smile: With A Levels especially, your grade is so much down to sheer hard work in preparation but also, most importantly, exam technique. If you feel you are putting in a lot of effort but then get a poor result, it could just be your technique, which you can do something about for the upcoming exams. What A Levels are you studying? Ariana.

Hi Ariana. I am doing mathematics, accounting and economics. Do you have any useful tips that i can apply so that i can improve myself for the upcoming exam? I really want to meet my requirements.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
you're so right.. i get it... thank you..:ciao:
Reply 10
Original post by jellybeansnkmk
Hi Ariana. I am doing mathematics, accounting and economics. Do you have any useful tips that i can apply so that i can improve myself for the upcoming exam? I really want to meet my requirements.

Posted from TSR Mobile

When you say you are "being mean" on yourself, I'm guessing that you mean you feel that you are putting in loads of work, sometimes excessively? It sounds, then, that it probably is down to revision and/ or exam technique. As my subjects are English & Psychology, I am not sure what is considered good exam technique for your subjects. On a practical level, a good place to start is to work your way through lots of past papers and then check what you have written against the mark scheme. In my subjects, there are specific key terms and points that examiners look for. If you have any questions when you look at the mark scheme, is it possible to check with one of your subject teachers? If they are unavailable given the holidays, a tutor might be another option. I know some Maths tutors (not sure about the other subjects) I could put you in touch with? On a psychological level, when you say you feel "inferior", think about the precise thoughts that are going through your head. Somewhere along the line, achieving high results has taken on huge significance in your life, as you have associated it with other emotions and events. The biggest challenge in life is to pick ourselves up when things don't go our way and to carry on. If you can learn this at a young age, you will learn some very valuable life skills that will allow you to face the challenges that lie ahead. Hope this helps. :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by aachal
you're so right.. i get it... thank you..:ciao:

Glad to have been of help. :smile: Let me know how you get on. Best wishes. Ariana.
When you say you are "being mean" on yourself, I'm guessing that you mean you feel that you are putting in loads of work, sometimes excessively? It sounds, then, that it probably is down to revision and/ or exam technique. As my subjects are English & Psychology, I am not sure what is considered good exam technique for your subjects. On a practical level, a good place to start is to work your way through lots of past papers and then check what you have written against the mark scheme. In my subjects, there are specific key terms and points that examiners look for. If you have any questions when you look at the mark scheme, is it possible to check with one of your subject teachers? If they are unavailable given the holidays, a tutor might be another option. I know some Maths tutors (not sure about the other subjects) I could put you in touch with? On a psychological level, when you say you feel "inferior", think about the precise thoughts that are going through your head. Somewhere along the line, achieving high results has taken on huge significance in your life, as you have associated it with other emotions and events. The biggest challenge in life is to pick ourselves up when things don't go our way and to carry on. If you can learn this at a young age, you will learn some very valuable life skills that will allow you to face the challenges that lie ahead. Hope this helps. :smile:

I am on a scholarship so basically my grades are pretty much everything for me. They're basically what i am worth of. Thank you for you're reply though. I will definitely work on my techniques hoping that it would be better.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending