The Student Room Group

Straight women going to gay bars!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Linnerzx
Couldn't we blame some of the straight men who go to gay bars in hunt for straight women, already knowing that the straight women are there to avoid the straight men?

No, you need to get to the source of the problem...straight women at gay bars are like weeds.
Reply 21
I dunno, I mean, I've only been to gay clubs a few times, and when I've been I've usually had a gay friend with me. And I mainly have gone for like themed nights that they've had, and the music can be better sometimes. Does that mean that I shouldn't go because I'm not gay?
Me and some girls from work (some lesbians, some not) were having a Lady Gaga night and decided to have the club we ended up in as a gay bar, is there something wrong with that? I don't understand why it's a problem if we keep to ourselves and just have fun.

I'm with you. Always went to gay bars with my gay friends. I don't mind that girls want to talk to me, I don't mind who wants to talk to me ever. I have no intention on hitting on anyone, I'm just there to drink with friends and have a good time.

I think this is more about a certain type of girl who spends too much time watching 90210 and thinks to be a better 'IT' girl you need a gay best friend who's sassy but hangs off your every word... And where better to source one than in a gay bar... Rich white girl logic hey? :noway:

Regardless of the intentions of the OP though, I'm a girl, I'm straight and I'll continue to go to gay bars and have a good time. In my experience they have been more laid back, I can have a good time and talk to interesting people. :bunny:
Reply 22
I dunno, I mean, I've only been to gay clubs a few times, and when I've been I've usually had a gay friend with me. And I mainly have gone for like themed nights that they've had, and the music can be better sometimes. Does that mean that I shouldn't go because I'm not gay?
Me and some girls from work (some lesbians, some not) were having a Lady Gaga night and decided to have the club we ended up in as a gay bar, is there something wrong with that? I don't understand why it's a problem if we keep to ourselves and just have fun.

Yes, you just happened to have a gay icon themed night in a gay bar....In no way was that for attention seeking purposes.
Original post by McHumpy92
No, you need to get to the source of the problem...straight women at gay bars are like weeds.

What do you mean you need to get to the source of the problem. How do straight women party whilst avoid straight men if that's what they want to do?
Some straight men can be really incessant and annoying too you know.
Reply 24
Original post by Eveiebaby
What do you mean you need to get to the source of the problem. How do straight women party whilst avoid straight men if that's what they want to do?
Some straight men can be really incessant and annoying too you know.

That part was a joke from previous post...with the guy who did the equation.

Their motives aren't to avoid straight men though is it...lets face it. Their motives are too look modern, liberal and mostly to hang around camp men like the ones they see in American TV shows.

I was just pointing that out in this thread and pointing out how most the gay blokes do not want you there....as a gay bloke confirmed in this thread and what I have also heard from several gay blokes.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 25
I'm gay and I don't give a crap. I don't often go to gay bars because they're tacky, but why shouldn't straight women support local business?
Reply 26
Couldn't we blame some of the straight men who go to gay bars in hunt for straight women, already knowing that the straight women are there to avoid the straight men?

You could do. But to quote those bastions of contemporary culture that were the pop band The Ordinary Boys- "boys will be boys".

How profound...
Reply 27
Original post by Skip_Snip
I'm gay and I don't give a crap. I don't often go to gay bars because they're tacky, but why shouldn't straight women support local business?

I didn't say they should be banned...I said the reasons they give for going are irritating and so are they. But then again bouncers are generally told the kind of clientele they want in the venue, not sure how they would manage that though.
Reply 28
This does my head in....well mainly the reasons they give for going. 'oh it is so much more relaxed'...'I can just go out without getting pestered'(instead they just pester everyone else)....'blah blah blah'...the gay blokes don't want you there because they want to pull blokes and you're taking up room. You only go to sound quirky and different, hence why you announce it on facebook.

Not many things irritate me...but this does!

I am not even gay, but the few times I have been in a gay club this has irritated me and the announcements on facebook.

If me and a group of my straight mates turned up at a predominantly lesbian club and just gorped at girls kissing and stuff I would expect to be thrown out or refused entry in the first place.

The thing is, amazingly, gay people don't JUST have gay friends. However they don't want to go out on their own, so they invite their friends, many of whom are straight. This is how I ended up first going to a gay bar.

Also I wouldn't say you don't get harassed as much, I think some guys go to gay bars specifically to target the straight girls - this was our experience of it anyway.
Since gay bars aren't just for gay people, I see no issue here. I'm not straight, but I'm not gay either. Does that mean I can't go to the straight clubs OR the gay clubs, or does it mean I can go to both?

I'd say the latter. Also, from my experience in gay clubs, they're usually filled with LGBT people and their friends, and they are venues which welcome anybody regardless of their sexual orientation.
Reply 30
Yes, you just happened to have a gay icon themed night in a gay bar....In no way was that for attention seeking purposes.

-_-
Really?

We've had themed nights before, Beyoncé, Katy Perry, and ended up in 'straight' clubs. For Lady Gaga night there were a couple of gay/bi people and it just seemed right to end it in a gay bar. What's attention seeking about that? I think it was quite fitting. I think you just need to accept that not all women are doing it to be 'down with the kids' and 'liberal'. Some of us just do it to have a good time and hang out with our gay/bi mates.

...the gay blokes don't want you there because they want to pull blokes and you're taking up room.

I am not even gay, but the few times I have been in a gay club

Seems legit. Announcing on TSR is just as bad as Facebook sometimes :ahee:
Reply 32
Original post by edithwashere
Since gay bars aren't just for gay people, I see no issue here. I'm not straight, but I'm not gay either. Does that mean I can't go to the straight clubs OR the gay clubs, or does it mean I can go to both?

I'd say the latter. Also, from my experience in gay clubs, they're usually filled with LGBT people and their friends, and they are venues which welcome anybody regardless of their sexual orientation.

Last time I checked most venues welcomed anybody regardless of their orientation. I'm pretty sure that would be a condition of their license and to do otherwise would contravene legislation banning discrimination on the basis of sex, orientation, religion, race, nationality or political beliefs.
Reply 33
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
Seems legit. Announcing on TSR is just as bad as Facebook sometimes :ahee:

Yes..an anonymous discussion is exactly the same as announcing something to 100's of people you know....well done. I hope you enjoy whatever cheap reps you get from your post.
Yes..an anonymous discussion is exactly the same as announcing something to 100's of people you know....well done. I hope you enjoy whatever cheap reps you get from your post.

Doubt I get any actually. Nobody reads past first page.

I was being serious, what right have you got to be annoyed with them going to gay bars when you're just as unfair on the gay guys who might've hit on you?
Original post by DK_Tipp
Last time I checked most venues welcomed anybody regardless of their orientation. I'm pretty sure that would be a condition of their license and to do otherwise would contravene legislation banning discrimination on the basis of sex, orientation, religion, race, nationality or political beliefs.

I didn't phrase that well, sorry - I meant venues with the sort of clientele who don't discriminate based on sexual orientation (around here at least, there is a huge amount of homophobia in clubs like oceana)
Reply 36
It's not that big a deal really. The only thing that pisses me off is hen parties.
Reply 37
-_-
Really?

We've had themed nights before, Beyoncé, Katy Perry, and ended up in 'straight' clubs. For Lady Gaga night there were a couple of gay/bi people and it just seemed right to end it in a gay bar. What's attention seeking about that? I think it was quite fitting. I think you just need to accept that not all women are doing it to be 'down with the kids' and 'liberal'. Some of us just do it to have a good time and hang out with our gay/bi mates.

I bet they all love it when the gaggle of you and your hyena mates drunkily stumble into the bar....flapping your gums about Lady GaGa and acting the most diva to try and attract a new shopping buddy which you can then proudly parade about with.

No, it's your fault for going! Bisexual men go there too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 39
When i lived in Kent the local pub to my workplace was a 'gay bar' that is to say it was your typical pub, with a rainbow flag in the garden and the pub sign was two men holding hands next to two women holding hands, Apart from that it was exactly the same as a typical pub you may wonder into across Britain.

It was our local and my co workers and I often found ourselves down there for a few beers after work, but then i suppose being a pub its not so much about meeting new people as it is about relaxing with your friends. However my friends never felt uncomfortable or unwelcome, as it should be in any pub/club/bar around the country.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending