The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

Kent- What is there to do in the town?

Title sort of sums it up really. No trying to be rude, but it's difficult to find info on what goes on in the town! Just wanted to know if there was any good shopping centers nearby or other good attractions :biggrin: nice to know it's a short bus journey to the beach though!
Depends what sort of thing you're after!

Daytime/non-drinking related -

Ok, so Canterbury is a small city and probably is only considered a city because of the cathedral. Shopping-wise, it's all very similar to what you'd expect of a typical high-street in town with one or two out-of-town retail parks. If you're a hardcore shopper, Ashford is cheap and easy to get to (by train) with probably a wider array of shops, not that I've been myself. If you're dead committed, then Bluewater in Kent is further along by train (nearest station is Ebbsfleet).

You're right in that beaches are easy to get to - Whistable and Herne Bay are bus rides away. Whistable is a nice place to visit all year round :smile: Going back to Canterbury though, it's a quiet city but with a large student population. It's got the usual attractions like the cinema and I'm told there's a bowling alley somewhere in town. It's obviously quite a historical town so has a few museums dotted about, which attract tourists (who make it seem a lot busier than it is!) and of course the cathedral, which is well worth a visit! Further afield are places such as Dover with the castle there (train or bus) and Margate, Ramsgate, Broadstairs and Deal - not really worth a visit outside of the summertime but then I've only been to them rarely. Lastly, London is only an hour away by high-speed train!

Lots and lots of restaurants in Canterbury too, which is excellent. :smile:

I found in my first year though, I wasn't going into town all that often. Or when I did, it was myself and a few friends going round the shops. :yy: Have a Google of things or maybe see what the University website itself says (I haven't checked in a while for this sort of thing! :p: ).

Nightlife/Drinking -

As you can imagine, with such a large student population, finding somewhere to er... quench your thirst :ninja: ... isn't a challenge in the slightest. In addition to the Venue on campus, there are the traditional nightclubs in the form of Chill/Chemistry. Then there are the bar/club type places such as The Cuban and The Ballroom (and probably many more that I've missed, sorry). Lastly, for a quieter drink there are more pubs than I care to count and will probably ever visit in my time here. The nightlife in Canterbury is detailed in this forum elsewhere, so I won't bleat on about it.

----

I know I haven't made it sound pretty enthralling but now in my 3rd year, it's fair to say that I rarely get actually bored and there's always something to do. I will just end up hanging out with friends more than anything :biggrin: Feel free to ask any more Q's :top:
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Reply 2
Brilliant, that's really helpful :smile: Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest