The Student Room Group

Should I take this ****ty job or just not bother?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
If I were you I'd take the job, at the moment a rubbish job is better than no job. Also don't take it personally that you're not finding a job in the field you graduated in, a lot of people aren't and are having to settle for completely unrelated jobs at the moment.

It's worth taking note as well that just because you have a degree it doesn't guarantee you a high flying job in the sector you trained. You'd be better to take it and at least you can write on your CV that you have recent work experience and if asked you can explain it was only a temp contract which is why you weren't there for very long.
Reply 61
Original post by Scotsroo
Also don't take it personally that you're not finding a job in the field you graduated in

It is in the field I graduated in, it just has **** pay and no prospects.
Reply 62
Original post by inmyhead
It is in the field I graduated in, it just has **** pay and no prospects.

The pay may very well not be the best but it's surely do-able and although there may be no prospects with that company surely the experience will help with further applications? It seems to me like you think you should have walked out of University and straight into the job of your dreams with excellent pay and prospects. That's not real life, for the lucky few that may happen but I really think you need to count yourself lucky you've been offered a job and seriously think about the implications of being long term unemployed. If you do turn this down the next job that comes along (if there is one) may be completely unrelated with even worse pay, think about it.
And how are those replies going to change my situation?

If you listen to them, your situation might improve. Doing nothing when you're feeling lousy doesn't offer any chance of improving how you feel.

I don't have a choice; my situation is dire. In my first job after University I was working with cool people my own age who became my friends, and my pay was gradually rising. Now I have no friends, no social life, no money, and I'm back on the salary that I started on nearly 2 years ago.

You try being positive in that situation.

Without wishing to get into a lengthy "my historic misery exceeds your current misery" battle, I've probably been in much worse situations and all has ended well. And at the time it did seem like there was no end in sight, but there always is, and it comes far quicker if you have a little faith. Much easier to give that advice than to do anything with it, but that's all anyone's going to be able to do on an Internet forum.

And being friends with people your own age isn't half as interesting as being friends with a range of people. More interesting, and more helpful for your career too.
But every other graduate gets a decent job that is properly paid and appropriate for their skill level.

Where on earth have you gained that impression? It's simply not true. There are thousands of graduates who have yet to gain employment at a level they feel is appropriate.
Reply 65
Original post by Scotsroo
If you do turn this down the next job that comes along (if there is one) may be completely unrelated with even worse pay, think about it.

You can't get lower than minimum wage.
Reply 66
look at it another way, take the job, work really hard, and if they don't offer you a more permanent contract (which could happen if you changed your attitude to the job) then you can use the work you've done as an example to show to other companies, try your best and do a good job and who knows what might happen. It's in the field you're qualified for, and they're paying you over minimum wage, a lot of new grads don't get that.

or be a self-indulgent, whiny, entitled little ****

it's up to you

what grade did you get at uni?

2,1,2.2 etc?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 68

Minimum wage is £6.19 for 21+.......
I've never felt so low. After a miserable 2 months of unemployment, I have been offered a miserable, low-paying, temporary job.

I am upset because I have been rejected from every decent graduate job that I have applied for. I have put massive effort into applying to these jobs, preparing for and travelling to their interviews. Then waiting ages for a response, only to be given the same old bull**** about how they "felt that some of the other candidates demonstrated a closer match to what we were recruiting for" but will "keep my CV on file for future consideration" :rolleyes:

Now I've been offered a boring job at a tiny company, with only 5 staff, that effectively pays just £6.41 per hour, barely minimum wage, and will only last for 6 months. They won't guarantee any job beyond that.

I feel so insulted. I am a University graduate, and I can only get a minimum wage job. It's like they're saying I'm 'not good enough' for a graduate job. This isn't even my first job, I've had better paying jobs in the past.

I'm sick of having no money, no friends, and no social life. I don't see how this job will change that.

Should I take this insulting job, or just give up and spend my days staying at home watching Jeremy Kyle in my pyjamas?

Jesus Christ, get over yourself, you're not special because you went to uni, that's just a middle-class **** fantasy. 2 months of unemployment? Boo friggin' hoo.

Your dad and his dad did the same thing, and yes it was just as hard for them. Now accept the job, cinch the **** in and get to work.
Reply 70
From everything I have read in this thread, I sense an obvious sense of frustration but also a lack of appreciation for what you actually have.

I saw something you said about "Every other grad can get a good job based on their degree" (or something to that effect), which is completely untrue. My sister graduated nearly 3 years ago, (coincidentally also from Cardiff), and has yet to find any job based on her degree. She is currently in some temporary office job that has no relation to her aspirations, because TIMES ARE HARD. Many other people are in your situation - you are not the only one!

In terms of the job you've been offered now, £6.41 p/h isn't the minimum wage. £6.19 is the minimum wage, so this job of yours isn't the minimum wage at all. I was in a job a year ago that paid below the minimum wage because it was all I could get. I asked myself the question, "What would I rather be doing?" The two answers were, 1) Sit around moping or 2) Actually do something about it and I chose option 2. You should do the same.

The jobs market is ridiculous at the moment, because we live in 2013 and there is a tight squeeze on literally everything. Stop thinking you're entitled to a dream job because you went to university, stop moaning and bloody get on with it!
Reply 71
Original post by MittenRef
In terms of the job you've been offered now, £6.41 p/h isn't the minimum wage. £6.19 is the minimum wage, so this job of yours isn't the minimum wage at all.

You're kidding. 22p difference? Wow :rolleyes:

I was in a job a year ago that paid below the minimum wage because it was all I could get.

You should have sued.
I've never felt so low. After a miserable 2 months of unemployment, I have been offered a miserable, low-paying, temporary job.

I am upset because I have been rejected from every decent graduate job that I have applied for. I have put massive effort into applying to these jobs, preparing for and travelling to their interviews. Then waiting ages for a response, only to be given the same old bull**** about how they "felt that some of the other candidates demonstrated a closer match to what we were recruiting for" but will "keep my CV on file for future consideration" :rolleyes:

Now I've been offered a boring job at a tiny company, with only 5 staff, that effectively pays just £6.41 per hour, barely minimum wage, and will only last for 6 months. They won't guarantee any job beyond that.

I feel so insulted. I am a University graduate, and I can only get a minimum wage job. It's like they're saying I'm 'not good enough' for a graduate job. This isn't even my first job, I've had better paying jobs in the past.

I'm sick of having no money, no friends, and no social life. I don't see how this job will change that.

Should I take this insulting job, or just give up and spend my days staying at home watching Jeremy Kyle in my pyjamas?

Take it and hopefully it will teach you to get off your high horse. Learn the hard way that just cos your a uni grad doesnt entitle you to FA. Hard work in the real world does - and there is no guarantee there either.

A year ago i was working in a high dept for a very large motor insurance company. Before that a team manager for a company working for American Express literally handling millions in foreign currencies. And im not a graduate, never saw the inside of a college. What i did was work - however recession caught up to the company.

Now i work eight hours a week for minimum wage as a merchandiser for crisps in a supermarket. Another two days i work in a charity shop for free. I do the merchandising job because id rather work a crap job than no job.

Work is work and pay is pay. And all you need to do is put "6month temp contract" on your CV
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 73

it works out as about an extra £35 a month, going on 9-5, 5 days a week
Reply 74
Pay peanuts, get monkeys.

what did u get 2:1? 2:2? 1st?
Reply 75
I think those are all strong arguments and my natural instinct is to agree with them. That said, I'm not sure they would actually make for the best decision.

If you graduated from Cardiff in Computer Science - and provided you have at least a 2.1 - you should ideally be looking to get on a graduate scheme of some sort. Generally these schemes look for students directly out of uni and coming into their first job. Taking a six-month job may not compromise your chances for some, but I know of at least two major multi-nationals who wouldn't consider an applicant with that background. They may be isolated cases, or they might be indicative of a larger trend.

I think the OP should travel or volunteer for the summer and apply for as many graduate schemes as he possibly can from August onwards. Having that under your belt is just as valuable as working in a low-paying job for six months. I went to South America last summer, travelled the continent, drank excessively, and taught English three times a week. It actually enhanced my CV.
Reply 76
take it, slow money better then no money.
Reply 77

You ungracious bastard. There are people out there who have been unemployed for months upon months, and you are sitting there thinking of turning down a job someone else would bite your hand off for because you think you should be handed your dream job on a plate?

Get a grip.
Take it and keep looking because its easier to get a job you're after if you have a job... no matter how ****ty
Take it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending